Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:23 AM
clnscheffer

Default formal dresses

Hi everyone!

If you are looking for a formal dress try Dillards! They are having a great sale on their formal wear. I bought a $170 dollar gown for $45 dollars! I am so excited!

God Bless!
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: formal dresses

I've been finding things on Ebay. Got a beaded top ofr $15.00 including shipping.

Old February 14th, 2004, 06:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen

I went to Dillards last night and got two formals off of their 75% off rack.. They practically give the stuff away when they want to get rid of it.
Old February 16th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

You girls are lucky they closed my Dilliards in South Florida. I loved their sales. I did hear they may build a bigger one in the future down here.

I am always on the lookout for sales on formal wear and when I see it I buy it.
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Mommabean

Default Re: Re: formal dresses

I thought there was still a Dillards at the International Mall in Miami. If you are close enough. I didn't go there and see for myself but thought I saw an ad in the Herald.

Also, not being a formal person normally...do formal dresses have to be long as in full length? I bought a really fancy beaded dress past the knee but was beginning to wonder if it's not considered formal enough. Can't cocktail dresses be worn on formal nights?
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:52 PM
clnscheffer

Mommabean-

Yes, I think that cocktail dresses can be worn on formal nights. This will be our first cruise but I have read that cocktail dresses are fine especially if they are beaded.

The dress I bought is full length. I was looking at cocktail dresses as well. I fell in love with the one I bought and for $45 I couldn't pass it up!

God Bless!
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

what about a long black skirt with a sparkly red top with three quarter sleeves? is it too fallish? it is pretty but i wore it in late nov. and we're cruising in april....
Old February 21st, 2004, 07:55 PM
davidkade

My wife spent $400 last week at Dillards, got EVERYTHING she needed. We even booked the cruise there!
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Also big department stores like JC Penney and Filenes seem to be having huge sales on "little black dresses" i bought one for $30 and could ahve bought another at the other store for like $16 but it didnt hang quite right. its worth flipping through all the racks.

Serenade of the Seas
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:00 PM
gymbrat33

I've purchased all of my formals at Dillard's in International Mall. They also have one in Pembroke Pines.
Old February 26th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know there is a Dilliard's in International Mall, but I live in deep South Florida in the Redlands area, so I have never been to International Mall. I keep an eye out for Marshall's and Burdines.

I think a short black dress with beading is fine for formal night, especially if your husband is just in a suit. A long top is sometimes necessary, because I find the dining rooms to be cool on the ships.

Boy...do men get off easy.
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:55 PM
SarahQuilts

You all are so lucky to live in Florida and then go cruising!!! My first cruise is coming up in March. We plan to fly into Fort Lauderdale 2 days early. Where so you recommend we shop there? Coming from the cold Northwest, we are so looking forward to your warm weather.
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am wearing a red too... Couldn't pass up a great sale at Lord & Taylor's (annapolis mall)...Got a $150 gown for ...........$44.00..........and we sail in April also. deb
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

SaraQuilts,

Sawgrass Outlet Malls is in Sunrise, near Ft. Lauderdale.

When you check into your hotel, ask about it. There are other high-end malls nearby, too expensive for me though.

Yes, I am lucky to live in Miami because we cruise out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. We have a cruise on May 1 on the Explorer of the Seas to the Eastern Caribbean. We just went on the Summit in December out of Ft. Lauderdale.

But, we need a change from the Caribbean, so we booked the Constellation out of NYC in October to Canada/New England.

Any cruise is a great cruise.

Have a great time.
Old March 7th, 2004, 05:31 PM
gymbrat33

I purchased a formal yesterday at Dillard's for $17.25. The regular price was $69. I also bought a suit for work ( jacket and pants) for $14.75 The regular price was $59.
Old March 7th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Cruiseprincess0162

Ya'll are so lucky to have a dillards! Up here in Washington D.C. we dont have a dilards.
Jenna
Old March 7th, 2004, 08:37 PM
pg,

In the stores here all I can find are PROM DRESSES. you know all pink and strapless , The best time to find formals here is just after New Years , and of course I was broke then!

I have a feeling that you all ( especially down in the south) are way more formal then up here in the " true north west" ( Canada!) . Here it would be hard to find even a beaded black cocktail dress after New Years. Oh well time to hit the second hand and consignment shops!
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:04 AM
karen friedbauer

if you are looking for good evening dresses , check out your local goodwill stores or thrift store they have alot of really good clothing and the prices are really reseasonable. especially if you are not going to wear if more than once or twice just dry clean and you're redeady to go ! i purcased on brand new 80.00 dress for less than 20.00 . i'm going on my first cruise in october with my two sisters to mexico so i've been getting some clothing together now instead of waiting until the last month .
Old March 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I just bought a formal dress on the JC Penney clearance rack for $9.77. For anyone in the Boston area Lord and Taylor also has a lot of formal wear on clearance at the Burlington Mall.

Darcy