Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Micheled
Default Duct Tape ???

Why do you all say to bring duct tape? Just curious what I would need it for on the cruise.

Thanks
MIchele

Serenade of the Seas: Alaska
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
luv cruising

Default Re: Duct Tape ???

Michele ,check the what i should have brought board it had a great idea about using duct tape and party lights we are sailing on the crown in june to bermuda with a balcony i am going to pack them and surprise my hubby with them
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Passenger

The dust tape came in handy last week. Our suite door had a whistling sound at times while cuising at night and after running a strip of tape down the edge, the whistling stopped. I also used the tape for a torn garment bag(wife's wedding dress in it) and a couple other things..

Sailing the Conquest
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Passenger

As per my previous post, should read DUCT , not DUST tape

Sailing the Conquest
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Have never had occasion to use Duct Tape except to build a ship for a ship building contest onboard. It was handy to have for that.

Gaile
Cruisemates Host Tweety
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sometimes you have squeaky doors or your cabin has overhead bunks that rattle.

I was in Wal Mart last night and at the check out area there was duct tape. I bought a roll and will pack it. Let you know if I use it on my upcoming cruise.

I'm going to try and tape the empty hangers together on the last night on the ship after you have packed all your clothes and the hangers clang all night.

Usually we have to take them all down and lay them on the bottom of the closet. I'm going to try to take a thin strip of duct tape and keep them from clanging.

Also, you never know if your luggage is going to get damaged and you will need to tape it back together. The airlines and ships really throw those bags around.
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Sue Sue

Use Duct Tape for: damaged luggage, holding down squeaking things in the middle of the night, drapes that flop open, quick hems, shoe repair. Of course the classic use is the "Uplift technique" for women. (Just read the boards and you will find I more on this topic) The list goes on and on. DH and I unroll only about 10 feet and take it along. Just in case.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:38 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Carry it just for the emergencies mentioned above. Also for sealing cartons of our purchases. Walmart has a small flat package of 9 feet for $1. I just keep it with our travel stuff.
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:11 AM
dee-lynn

when we cruised on the Brilliance last month and I saw all the comments about duct tape, I thought to myself that I would never use it. That is until our camcorder went on the fritz. The camcorder wasn't getting a proper connection and as a result we had to push the battery in with our palms while holding it. Duct tape could have been taped to the side and would have given a better connection. Oh well, we bought a new camcorder in St. Thomas at a great price which ultimately solved the problem!!! How's that for a new use of duct tape?
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I used a small piece of duct tape on the hairdryer in the room. The on/off button had to be held down to turn it on, so I duct taped the switch in the "on" position to save my sore thumb!

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:29 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M
Default Re: Re: Duct Tape ???

this is long....

23 years ago on our 2nd cruise, my husband & I went on a cruise with my older sister and friends. We were in our early 20's, while my sister and her friends were in their 40's. We were more into the "party til the sun comes up" attitude, whereas my sister was more of an "early to bed, early to rise" type person. (The reason I had duct tape on that cruise, is because they had a costume party and I brought along duct tape to help put my costume together. ) Well...because my sister and her cabinmates had gone to bed early, we thought, as a joke, we would duct tape her door closed so that when they got up in the morning they couldn't get out. It was only AFTER we went to all the trouble of duct-taping the door shut, did we realize the door opened IN! Boy!...did we feel stupid! But...we still get a laugh out of it to this day!

It was one of those..."you had to be there to get it" type situations.

:-)

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:42 PM
Passenger

I am a photographer, and I always carry duct tape in my camera bag, prefereably the mil-spec kind (ask a sailor ). When taking portraits, still life, or landscapes, duct tape always comes in handy:

1. Portraits: Taping up improvised backgrounds. This is great when you have to go somewhere in a hurry, can can't pack you backgrounds
2. Still life: Keep those flowers in a line, tape them at the base (note: does not hurt the flowers, per the society for the prevention of cruelty to flowers)
3. Landscape: got a great shot, but a tree branch is blocking the way? move it out and tape it higher (or lower) to get that sweeping panorama.

there are a billion and one ways to use duct tape (doors included )
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:35 AM
First Mate

there are a billion and one ways to use duct tape (doors included )

HA-HA ! ! ! ;-)

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Laurie still laughing about the door.

Carnival Glory
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:51 PM
First Mate

Tweety....I'm glad you laughed! I wasn't sure if it sounded as funny as it was. I was afraid it was one of those you-had-to-be-there type stories. :-)

PAST CRUISES
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Yeoman

I sure wish i woulda packed duct tape on our last cruise on the Holiday. The closet doors vibrated all night long and I listened to them clatter every nightj! If only I would have had some duct tape. So the first thing in my suitcase for my next cruise was, yep, you guessed it, duct tape. So even if everyone laughs at me, at least I have it for whatever use I might need!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:05 PM
clo

Thanks, Marvholly. I found the flat pack of duct tape at WalMart today. I certainly wasn't going to pack an entire roll and the thought of pulling it apart wasn't appealing. Like you, I'll just keep it with my travel things.
Old August 15th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Robin Jackson

I took duct tape on our first cruise after people recommended it. I have to tell you that I used it three times.

I used a piece to get lint off of a dress.

I used it to temporarily fix a torn bed sheet, until the next morning when the steward could change it.

And last, my daughter dropped her earring down the sink. My husband was able to retrieve it by taking apart the trap. When he went to put things back together he used a small piece of the duct tape when he screwed the pieces together so that there were no leaks.

I won't leave home without it.
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:50 PM
CeeCee

Hmmm...seems that duct tape can be a real commodity on a cruise ship. I can see it now -- sign on door - "duct tape for sale / no questions asked". This might be a good way to help defray the cost of a cruise...
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:15 AM
slinkiecat

I use it frequently for removing lint from dark clothing - much better than the masking tape-type rollers.

slinkie

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:16 PM
First Mate

Someone asked about waterproof wallet--leave it to my thirteen year old we now have designer duct tape wallets (man's billfold type) and has upgraded to a red one to match the school colors. He also presented me with a stemmed rose made out of it.
Perhaps he will make his prom clothes out of duct tape and win that contest. He will be thrilled to see "DUCT TAPE" necessary item to pack on cruise. Better make that two rolls in case he gets to creative on the cruise.
= ^.. ^ =
^
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Where do you guys get your timeclocks showing the countdown for your cruises? I love it!!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:10 PM
Passenger

A very nice gentleman helped me with that very question. It worked for me first time! His directions are below:

I'll try to get you going on the countdown clock. You may want to copy and print this since I made it kinda long by detailing every step I used. There are several threads to this countdown clock already on the various forums. If my procedure doesn't work you could do a search (top of page) on countdown clock. Here goes...

1. Make sure you are logged in. If not, scroll to top of page, click on Log-in; then log in.
2. Get back to this thread and scroll to bottom of page and click on Messagge Board Tricks. You will find a selection of stuff, including: COUNTDOWN CLOCK. Select :
the square bracket, the i, the m, the g, and the closing square bracket...........and all contents between..........then select the closing square brackets which has a slash, an i, an m, a g, and closing square brackets.
(Don"t forget: select even the brackets and everything in between.)
3. Right click mouse button and select Copy in the drop down menu.
4. Now Click on back arrow to take you back a page. Scroll to bottom and click on MY PROFILE; then click on EDIT PROFILE. Find the box next to Signature: and click inside the box to place the cursor (blinking line). Right click mouse button and paste contents of clipboard. Now, simply change the month, year and day to your appropriate sailing date. Be careful: don't add or take away spaces. It has to remain in the exact formatting as was pasted. (01 for January, or 11 for November and the date has to have the double digit formatting like 05 or 22 ) Don't adjust the hours/minutes as they adjust automatically. When month, year, day are entered, press the Enter key. Now, you can type in any additional message you want to show up under the countdown clock. ..like your ship, perhaps.
5. Next, scroll to bottom and be sure to click inside the small check box to "Add my signature to this post". (It should place a green check mark inside the small check box.
6. Finally, go back to forum and post a "test" message to see if it works.

Good Luck. Had to try this several times before it worked. Actually, I gave up after a few tries and when I logged on a couple of days later, there it was! Go figure.