Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Passenger

Default sneaking alcohol aboard

attention all professional boozers....
how did you sneak your alcohol on board? i'm thinking vodka or crown royal. did you run into problems? tell me what to do AND what not to do.
thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: sneaking alcohol aboard

This question has been answered many times already so I thought I would save people time and just do a search and copy some of those:

Put them in your checked baggage in plastic bottles. You can usually buy them in plastic at larger liquor stores.

You always run a risk of them taking them away if they see them, but apparently they xray the bags, but usually dont rummage through them unless there is something they would like to check out further.

You should be safe with plastic bottles in your checked baggage. I would just wrap them in some clothes.

Author:*bill123*(---.180.81.168.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date:***05-22-04 20:01

to be safe pack your rum in water bottles and you scotch in listorine bottle it works great.

Author:*CBryan*(---.woh.rr.com)
Date:***05-24-04 10:48

Anyone know about taking beer on board?? I know we took some pop in cans last time and they didn't say a word... so I was wondering if beer might be the same way??!?!

Author:*Kenster*(---.ccisd.net)
Date:***05-24-04 12:26

I take a case of canned beer, along with a couple of 20oz soda bottles filled with rum, and several bottles of coke, along with a few bottles of champagne. I put the case of beer in a doubled heavy duty garbage back and duct tape it. I put the other liquids in zip lock bags. We put all of this in a locked, hard-sided suitcase. We also pack a soft sided collapsible cooler. The room steward always kept plenty of ice in it for us. I think I slipped him a fiver when we first arrived, just to keep the ice filled.

Author:*Tuscani*(---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date:***05-25-04 16:45

We packed 12 bottles of Miler Lt and 12 bottles of Corona. We rolled them in bubble wrap and packed them in one of those men's shoe bags. They fit perfectly and it has it's own handle to hang it up when you get there. We put Jack Daniels and my favorite, amoretto in water bottles. And we brought a bottle of champagne that I just packed in the middle of my clothes in the suitcase.

Author:*sscruz*(---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date:***05-25-04 20:35

Hi ! Just got back from the Conquest. My friends and i brought bunches. I put just about all types in Propel water bottles. A couple of my friends took theirs in Listerine bottles and you would be amazed that whatever was in the listerine bottles, tasted just like Listerine! So I recommend water bottles. Then I took the new wrap and seal wrap from seran wrap and sealed it before I put the cap on it then wrapped it in Zip lock freezer bags. I still did spend a good bit on alcohol on the boat, but not as much as I did the first time I sailed.

Post Edited (05-29-04 23:53)

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: sneaking alcohol aboard

WOW - thanks for all the great ideas
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just got back from a cruise on the cruise on the Miracle. While on the Liddo Deck I overheard two guys talking about how they had smuggled 5 cases of beer onto the ship in a large suitcase. We were at our first port of call (Key West) and they were discussing going into town and buying 5 more cases....and they were trying to decide how they were going to get it back on board. They actually discussed purchasing a new suitcase in town and bring it back on board with them.....don't know it they were successful or not.
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow! What great ideas...We're taking Disney though and I wonder since there are probably more kids that they are stricter when it comes to alcohol coming on board??

I probably won't be drinking too much (hope to be pregnant again when we're cruising - but not TOO far along) but my husband will probably love some beer and amaretto and I'd love that we wouldn't have to pay for it on ship!

Again, thanks for all the ideas!

Virginia & Robert
Katelynn (age 3)
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Virginia... I always bring vodka with me. I don't "sneak" it... I just pack it in my suitcase. I put it in a zip-lock bag in case it leaks and roll it in something soft and thick, like a sweatshirt, but I never hide it. So far (15+ cruises) it's never been an issue. If you're afraid to put it through the airline luggage handling, carry it and then put it in your suitcase in the luggage claim area.

Good luck on getting preggers!
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

We snuck a few bottles of rum/kahlua/vodka aboard (in emptied out water bottles, securely taped shut) and were shocked to see the huge duty free liquor store on board (Parrot Bay coconut rum for $9/ltr, Kahlua for $12, etc.) And to take it back to your cabin it only cost another $9 or so... that's at or below retail price in the US.

My advice: don't waste luggage space if you're bringing a whole bottle. It will cost the same or possibly less on board!
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Admiral

to go another way, did you know that you can purchase hard alcohol in bottles from the cruise line for in-cabin consumption for less than what you paid at home?? You can either order from room service or send a gift to your stateroom. Kind of makes the whole "smuggling" issue a moote point don't you think??
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Passenger

But not all cruise lines allow you to purchase and bring back to your room. Some hold the alcohol until the last night of the cruise, then deliver it. We put our alcohol in water bottles. It's all clear so you can't tell the difference.
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Admiral

basketballmom, i wasn't refering to buying it from the duty-free shop on board, you can order a bottle of booze from room service, the prices and menu will be in your cabin, cheaper than you can buy it from home, and you can send yourself a "bonvoyage" gift of booze to your cabin.
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM
Familiar Face

I'd never pack a glass bottle in my luggage, but I've re-used water bottles, taped shut, rolled in bubble wrap, then placed in a zipper bag. Worked great.

I've also been surprised to be allowed to bring liquor from the islands back onboard with me, when stated policy is to hold it till the last night. But one never knows.

Old July 6th, 2004, 12:32 PM
jim galloway

Hi Stacy,

I am taking my wife and daughter on a 5 day Bahama cruise and I am particularly interested in your comment regarding the cost of the booze at the duty free liquor store...... We love Tangueray & Tonic, and will probably consume a bunch, so, assuming your examples, we could get a liter of tanqeray for 9 bucks plus the additional fee? If so, that is probably what I will do, thanks agian and looking forward to hearing back from you....

Jim, Diana & Haley
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:34 PM
jim galloway

Hi Stacy,

sorry, responded to the wrong person, please disregard!
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

"sorry, responded to the wrong person, please disregard!"

Oh good, Jim... I was worried for minute there!
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Passenger

Lisa K - I was referring to the post by phoebe, not you.
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Admiral

basketballmom, ok, sorry about that it was just that your post appeared directly below mine and you didn't specify who you were addressing.
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:19 PM
adam childs

When we went on the disney cruise last year we bought it at the one of the port and brought it on no one said a thing.

This year we are going on the med cruis aboard celbrity september 20th adn we are going to put it in our checked luggage and hey the worst thing is they take it away and we get it back the last night ---can not hurt to try though
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just read on the Carnival thread a poster actually claims that he uses his wife's hollow artificial leg to sneak 9 bottles on beer on board....he claims that once on-board he uses a large corkscrew, bores a hole into the leg and installs a beer tap. And, no I really don't believe him!

I thought that I had heard it all!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:46 AM
hottie

what's wrong with you people! do you take food and beer to restaurants? don't you realize that you're not saving any money because they're on to you and charge for things in other ways to make up for this.

buy what you can afford and enjoy it, and don't make everyone else have to loawer their standards and cover your costs
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:18 PM
Passenger

I was just on the Princess web site and if you want liquor you can order it to your cabin.
I checked out prices and they are the same if not a few dollars cheaper than buying it and lugging it.
Just thought you'd like to know.

I swear I'm only lazy when there's sand!
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:18 AM
sailgirl

we were just on RCCL and carried on 3 bottles of our favorite (reasonable ) wine. On 3 nights we brought it to the dining room and our waiter opened, iced and served it to us. They never charged us the corking fee. Also we brought a soft sided cooler with 24 cans soda and a few water bottles. This cooler we tagged and sent through with our checked luggage. It was delivered to our cabin with the rest of our luggage. A little rum in our checked luggage completed the process. We enjoyed a rum and coke while getting dressed. We didn't even use up all the soda. I am so glad I didn't go for the soda cards like I did last year.
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:53 PM
andy sked

Hottie is an idiot. what kind of logic is that. how you they will make up the money in other ways. mind as way say don't file a tax return and get a refund, they are going to make it up in another way. you don't hurt anyone by bring on alchol besides the profits of the cruise line.
Old August 10th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Trudle

I just had to add my story-----Last year we went on a family Cruise. Sister-in-law had a soft sided cooler,it was filled with beer. Went on board without trouble. We finished that off. My DH had to bring 6 bottles of different alcohols, ( and not small ones) that we had to wrap and pack, etc, etc,etc in our baggage, heaver than H_ _ _****, we got on without trouble------But------ we never opened one bottle, after all that trouble. Next time, we leave it home, except for maybe a small bottle of something. Happy sailing.
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Yeoman

Attacking Hottie personally doesn't really add much credibility to your comments, regardless of how much truth there is in them.

It is true that when you violate the cruise line's Terms of Service against bringing alcohol on board that the cruise line's profit is harmed. However, that's not the only harmed party. Everyone who complies with the Terms of Service is also harmed as well.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:37 AM
stsand

Bicker and Hottie. Nice pair you make. Do you own cruise line shares? Let me guess, you two never speed either, right?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Passenger

We just cruised last week. We snuck a big bottle of Bacardi in our checked luggage. Wrapped it in bubble wrap and a towel and it got there and back safe without anyone knowing. The champagne went straight into our carry on and that went by too without any problems.

Paradise August 2004
Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:45 PM
octcruise

This is the information I was looking for. We are cruising for the first time in Oct. and were thinking about taking a couple of 1/2 racks on in a separate suitcase and maybe a bottle in with clothing. My question is, once everything makes it to your room, won't they figure it out by the garbage discarded and possibly take things away then?
Thanks for the great conversation and hints.
P.S. to hottie and bicker -- this isn't just about saving money, it's about not wanting to spend time in a bar each time I want a drink. I would like to have a beverage in my room once in a while out on our balcony watching the world go by.
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Passenger

I was interested to see sailing girls post re RCCL cruise and taking bottles of good quality wine down to the restuarant and not having to pay the corkage fees. We are sailing on Carnival's Miracle in Jan and wondered if anyone has ever done this on a Carnival ship?

I suppose the less expensive cruise liners sell their cabins for, the more strict they would have to be on this issue, so that's how they make more profit on board.

Soda fountain cards? Would they be worth it, or can you legitimately take sodas onboard anyway?
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:27 PM
paigedygert

I have brought liquor on board many times in my carry-on/backpack disguised in water bottles and in my luggage in plastic ones you can get at the liquor store nowadays. I also have a black and decker cordless blender for drinks on the go--running down the halls, visiting new friends, etc.

Never had a problem. Helps save $, and you can host happy hours in your cabin if you want! If you run out, getmore on the islands and pour into water bottles:o) Bring to lido deck in insulated container cheap in gift shop.

I love the stories about sneaking beer on board in a huge suitcase!!! I am not that brave but I like it! Maybe a future cruise! I love it!

Dont forget your mixers! Canned pina colada mix--don't forget can opener--and powdered Pat O'Briens hurricane mix both travel well.
Old August 27th, 2004, 08:01 PM
sailgirl

octcruise - I wouldn't worry about what happens after you get your drinks to the cabin. We try to be a little discreet & put the bottles in the closet but I wouldn't say they were well hidden. I doubt if your cabin steward would report you or confiscate your bottles. This could imo put their tip in jepardy.