Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:56 PM
ihb

Default formal nights on Caribbean Princess

Does my 11 yr old son really need a tie, pants and dress shoes? Does my husband really need a tie? TA said no to both these things. Reading the boards makes me think otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: formal nights on Caribbean Princess

We were on a Princess cruise last year and it is a tad more formal than other ships I have been on{NCL/CCL/RCCL}. Ties are not required though and no one will stop you from going into the dinning room etc... There were more than the usual 2 or 3 tux's and evening gowns present however. You will always of course fine people who dont dress for formal night /or have a different meaning for the word{to each his own} My opinion would be your soon should wear pants and dress shoes-not a tie. As for your husband-mine doesnt like wearing them either,but I make him for dinner and the picture taking-than I let him relax it/take it off while we are at the show,disco etc... . I say this for I think you might find more people dressed up and I wouldnt want you do think you underdressed. Keep in mind since they do,do professional formal portraits on those nights-you might want them to dress up to get a family picture-the 8x10s usually run about 20-30USD-which isnt bad if you consider what an Olan Mills might charge for a session. With the exception of our wedding photos, the other formal photos we have ,have been from our cruises. My sister and her family also use their cruise vacations as a way to get a family portrait; just an idea. Either way whatever they decided to wear/not wear as long as they are happy and you have fun thats the whole point. Hope you have a good time.

JC
Old June 19th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would say "yes" to the tie for the husband along with a dark suit or tux if he has one. A nice shirt and pants for your son would be fine, if he has a jacket, take it along, if not he should be OK.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:51 PM
Admiral

having sailed on Princess quite a few times, i will tell you that your TA is giving you some incorrect information. On formal nights all of the men/boys in the main dining rooms and restaurants had on either dark suits, tuxedos or a sports jacket with a dress shirt, tie , dress pants and dress shoes. The younger gentlemen didn't all have on jackets but they all had on ties during dinner. If you can find an inexpensive jacket for your son either on sale or at the Goodwill or a consignment store then buy it for him, if not you can pick up a nice cotton dress shirt and a tie fairly cheaply at Target, Marshalls, have seen some at Kmart.
Another option for a dress shirt, are the ones with banded collars, very trendy, no tie required.
Old June 21st, 2004, 02:46 PM
jamiegunter

I would say for formal nights at least a tie, jacket if he has one. Princess is a fancier line than some.