Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Default teen boy dress for Sun Princess

This is my first cruise ever and im going on the Sun Princess Jan 8 sailing the 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise. What do people wear on cruises? Im 16 years old going with my parents. I was just going to bring my school uniform to wear that is white shirt, tie, gray pants and a navy blazer. Will this be ok? I don't really have anything else to wear. I have a few polo shirts and dress pants that I also will bring. I go to a catholic boarding school so that's all we can wear 7 days a week. Im off for 2 weeks so it will be nice to see my parents again on this cruise. What do teens wear on cruises?

Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: teen boy dress for Sun Princess

Good for you being so concerned about dresss style. #1 to me (as I have a 13+ year old son) is RELAX, dig out some t-shirts, cargo style shorts, and some sandals that will come in handy for beaches, and around pool -make sure they are the kind that can get wet. When we sailed in the past, I believe your school uniform will look smashing as formal wear choice, maybe just bring an additional tie for second formal night. For the dining room other nights often it is resort casual and I interpret it as polos and docker style pants, with an in between confortable shoe.
Since your cruise is in a tropical region the silky rayon button down shirts are a smashing success with the teens here. Many times they are also wearing a logo t-shirt with a simple unbuttoned plaid shirt over it (not tucked in), with cargo kahki shorts or denim ones. My son says shorts are too short if they go above the knee.
Right now many summer clothes are on clearance everywhere, perhaps some late season bargain hunting is in order. Don't forget 2 swimsuits to allow one to dry.
Hope I have been of some help. I haven't explored Cruisemates entire site, I know there is a teen chat/message board maybe you can locate it and ask for advice there.
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:56 AM
Admiral

your school uniform will be perfect for formal nights, as suggested bring 2 different ties. The dress code for the rest of the evenings on Princess is Resort Casual - what that means for a young man of your age is dockers type or cargo pants, polo or hawaiian print shirts(especially on island night), short-sleeved button down shirts and casual shoes.
For day time all you need are cargo shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, waterproof sandals, a good pair of walking sneakers, swim trunks with a t-shirt to cover-up, a baseball hat and a good pair of sunglasses
Old September 21st, 2004, 06:47 PM

Thanks for all your information. I will bring my school uniforms for formal nights. I don't have many T-shirts mostly polo shirts. So I probably will wear polo shirts and shorts for the day time. Can you wear a dress shirt, tie and blazer on non formal days? Im use to dressing up all day being at school. I have more dress clothes than T-shirts since that's all im allowed to wear at school and at my boarding house.

Thanks again for the information.
Brian
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:55 PM
kathy walker

That's a great idea to bring your school uniform. I bet you look really good in your school uniform. Im going to be on your same sailing as you also going with my parents . That's going to be a lot of fun! Did you want to get together on the ship? Im a Junior in High School in Virginia. I also have a school uniform that I have to wear. I should bring that too and maybe we can take a picture together on dress up night. I can show you the ropes on a cruise. This is my 4th one.
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Brian - you would be overdressed on casual nights if you wore dress pants, shirt & tie. Switch the dress shirt for the polos for casual nights. Can you ask your mom to pack you a couple of pairs of dockers or cargo pants(for casual nights) and some t-shirts for daywear? Again you will be overdressed for the daytime in shorts with polo shirts, 99% of the teen boys, and the men for that part go for the cargo shorts & t-shirts. You can always pick up some t-shirts at the ships store or on the islands.
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the information Lisa. I will bring some T-shirts. Im looking forward on my first cruise.

Kathy, I would like to hang out with you. It's not fun to hang out with my parents all the time.
Talk to you later.

Brian