Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:35 PM
kmaria

Default Carnival Canada/New England Cruise-Clothing? HELP!

I am going on my first cruise June 2005. Anyone been on Canada/New England cruise? What kind of clothing should I take? Nights? Daytime? Time off the ship?
Also, I will be spending 4 days after the cruise in NYC- what clothes to bring for the city? I 've never been on a cruise and don't want to look out of place, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:37 PM
kmaria

Default Re: Carnival Canada/New England Cruise-Clothing? HELP!

OH, for a formal night would a prom-like dress be appropriate? It is strapless black a-line shape, or is this too dressy?
And, does the ship have internet-access?
Thanks Again!
Old October 21st, 2004, 05:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

We wore casual comfortable clothing for shore excursions on the east coast. And be sure to wear conmfortable walking shoes. There isn't much opportunity for swimming. A lot depends on what excursions you have planned. We purchased the shore excursions to the Boston Naval Yard, and everywhere else we went on our own. You need to take a lightweight jacket in case of cooler weather. Your black dress sounds fine for a formal evening. As for looking out of place, you will see everything from evening gowns to dressy pantsuits for women, and tuxes to casual pants and dress shirts for the men. Just enjoy yourself and don't worry about looking right to anybody else.

Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:49 AM
Admiral

kmaria - i answered your question over on the "Ask Cruisemates Staff" board, so i won't duplicate myself here.
Your black dress sounds beautiful, perfect for formal night.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 11:17 PM
Familiar Face

Actually that is exactly the cruise I took in Aug of last year.. I am going again in July of 05... I also spend 4 days in NY first....
I was always COLD! The ships are air conditioned and I was always freezing! So I suggest a nice silk or similar cardigan sweater, black will go with everything..
I ended up buying one in NY before I got on the ship, cuz I was cold even in the hotel in NY...
I personally would bring a paid of shorts or 2 for the trips off the ship... but otherwise I'd bring jeans (if your a jeans gal, I know I am) for shore trips and day time wear.. And short sleeved shirts... Then maybe a casual zip up sweats/valour style jacket, just incase.. EVERY evening will be "resort casual" which means sun dresses, light slacks, blouses, skirts ect.. And for formal evening your dress sounds completely appropriate, LOTS of people will wear the same type of thing.. you may however have 2 formal nights... Check out a department store like Dillards in Jan for SUPER sales on formal wear.. But yes a prom dress would be exactly right. As for men, a lot of ships say men wear jackets every night and suits/tuxes for formal night, which is a load of crap
Most men had nice work style dress shirt or short sleeved blouses on the informal nights, a few in jackets w/o ties... and the formal nights they wore suits.. I only saw 1 man out of the entire group in a tux.
I would also bring a skirt or two and an outfit or two that fits on the looser side (elastic waist) to wear toward the end of your trip, for the 2 lbs average a day you gain
Have fun Terri