Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Bezor

Default Packing for South America

Oh joy, another "I don't know what to pack thread", but I really do need help and haven't been able to find any thread to cover my situation. I am cruising on HAL from Rio, around Cape Horn, and up to San Diego (39 days) March, 2005 (which is Fall there).

I know the cruise packing basics but as I live in South Carolina I really don't know what I'll need below the Tropic of Capricorn. I want to be comfortable visiting each port. I do plan on layering my clothing. However, I'm still afraid they'll have to report a new iceburg (me).

Also, any special hints about being on board for an extended time?
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

Default Re: Packing for South America

I think that layering is a good idea. My aunt and uncle did a Rio de Janiero to Santiago, Chile cruise a couple of years ago, and Cape Horn is as far south as Canada is North.

Also, bring sun block, the higher SPF the better. Whatever your feelings about global warming, the fact is that as far as the ozone layer is concerned, there are STILL seasonal holes in the ozone way down south and you really don't want to get hit by unfiltered sunlight without protection (A hat with a drawstring might also be a good idea).

Also, I discovered that Dramamine is difficult to find outside the US, at least in the Caribbean. You might want to throw some in your toiletries bag.
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Bring a warm hat and gloves... socks and substantial shoes/sneakers for walking. A jacket or pullover, too. I did this cruise (going in the opposite direction) in January a couple years ago. Coming from the NE, we had some warmer clothes that we traveled in... but still we ended up BUYING fleece hats and gloves. I got tired of wearing the same pair of jeans, too. Bring long pants and a T-neck. BTW, it was the middle of their summer and the day before we arrived in Ushaia (sp?) it snowed! If you plan to spend time on a veranda or up on deck you'll need warm clothes. You'll also need the usual shorts/t-shirts for the beginning and end of your cruise. This was the hardest cruise ever to pack for! Have fun and don't forget to look for penquins... we saw them "flying" underwater from our veranda as we were passing the glacier.
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Bezor

Tanks Everett! I am fair skinned so plan on taking SPF 45 and will put it on liberally. I had heard about the waters around the Cape were wild and have already bought my Bonine for this. Still looking for a hat

Thanks Stacy! I copied your message and sent it to my mom (she's going with me). Looks like I'll be taking a lot more than I planned. Snow !?! In summer? Yikes! Can't wait to see what their Fall season will throw at me.

Your penguin tale has me even more excited about this trip. I didn't even think that was possible! Thank you!