Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Passenger

Default HELP - dressing my husband for a cruise!!

My husband is a super casual dresser when he's not working ... and when he is working, he wears uniforms ... so he has very few (if any) "dress" clothes. I am trying to figure out what the bare minimum that he will need so that we dont have to buy him a whole new wardrobe for the cruise.

Any suggestions??

Sailing Carnival Ecstasy - May 7th
From Galveston to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Andee

Default Re: HELP - dressing my husband for a cruise!!

I think that every man needs to own one dark suit for weddings and funerals, and that would work for formal night.

For casual nights, mixing and matching three pair of dress pants or Dockers in khaki, navy, black, grey or olive with print silk or rayon shirts might work.
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
cali-croozer

You can even get away with 2 pairs of pants for casual nights with mix and match shirts, like those suggested above.
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:12 PM
happy ks

Very good question. Either get him a black, classic cut suit, one white shirt and 2 ties, or rent a tux for formal nights. Every man should own a dark suit, there are times when it is needed, no matter how casual his normal life is.

The rest of the nights, 2 pair of slacks (Dockers or khakis) and 3 sport shirts, you can have them laundered onboard. No one will notice or care that he wears the same clothing twice. A pair of black shoes and a pair of deck shoes. 3 pair of shorts, 4 Ts and a couple bathing suits, underwear and socks, he's done. Most people pack waaaay too much, especially on their first cruise. Using the laundry service onbaord is a whole lot cheaper that buying shirts and pants he's probably not going to wear very often.

My DH wears the same outfit the first and last night (I usually do, too). The more we cruise, the less we pack, the easier it is to travel and organize our cabin for the week.
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM
Admiral

i agree with the others that every man should own a dark classic suit. There will be occassions(weddings, funerals etc) where a suit is required. You don't need to "break the bank" to get a good quality suit. Check out the sales at Sears, JC Penny, Filene's etc, shop the big discount clothing stores like Kohl's, K&G and Burlington Coat Factory. Another option would be to buy a nice pair of dress pants and then pick up a blazer at your local consignment or thrift store. Tuxedo rental is always an option.
As for prices(if that is a concern) he can rent a tux for the cruise for about what it would cost to by a decent pair of dress slacks and a nice shirt.- Basic tux rentals start at about $95.00 for a 7 day cruise.
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:15 PM
Passenger

My husband sounds like yours. When we went on the Conquest year before last. At night he wore Dockers and a nice polo shirt. He took a sport coat and nice dress slacks, tie and dress shoes for formal night but we ended up not going. We saw a lot of guys on formal night with a sport coat and dress slacks some didn't even have a tie on, but the ones with no tie were in the minority. During the day he lived in his shorts and polos and his tennis shoes. We are cruising again this summer and will pretty much pack the same for this trip for him.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:01 PM
Zoom & Sparky

Your husband sounds just like mine. Mine is in the military and also wears uniforms all the time. When he's not in uniform he will only wear t-shirts, jeans, sneakers, and cargo shorts. If we go someplace where he as to wear womething other than that, he kicks and screams like an 5 year old boy.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:50 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all the suggestions ... I have already started packing lists, shopping lists, baby-sitter lists ... and I dont cruise till May! Guess I am overly anxious or incredibly anal ... maybe both

Post Edited (02-24-05 20:01)
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Andre

Or, as I recently confirmed, you can buy a pretty decent complete Stafford tux outfit at JC Penny for less than $150 (excluding shoes). That's nothing to sneeze at and if you rent a couple of times, you've paid the equivalent of purchasing one that is YOURS and fits you properly (and hasn't been previously worn by some drunken wedding participant!).

Every man should own a dark suit. Even if one is casual 99.99% of the time, you will need a dark suit every once in a while for weddings, funerals, graduations, nice restaurants, etc. But with prices this cheap, there's no reason that every cruiser can't also own a tux.

Andre