Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Yeoman

Default Help - Teenage boys fashion statement!

I have 3 sons ages 18, 13 and 12.
Great kids, great students and very respectful. They make me proud!
My only complaint is how they wear thier pants or shorts!
To be in style, they all like to wear nice looking Levi's, Khakis or even shorts,
but they like them a bit bigger and usually have thier boxers waistband showing!
I've tried to buy thier correct sizes, they all complain they were not comfortable, look stupid or they were too tight. Belts, even though they wear them don't seem to do much good either. They all like polo's, so at least I'm ok there!
What do I do now ? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:43 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: Help - Teenage boys fashion statement!

Hi there.........I'm a mom of 2 boys, ages 15 and 16 (17 on Friday!!!). Anyway, I don't like their "style" either, but when in comes to dinner wear, ie, docker type pants and dress pants, I have the final say. We buy the right size and they wear them. Have your boys tried to wear oversized "dockers" or dress pants.....they'll see, they really aren't making any kind of fashion statement., it just looks dumb. Side note........my son just went to his Junior Prom and I went to take pictures of him and his friends; 20 couples, the boys looked fabulous in their well-fitted tuxes!!!! So anyway, put your foot down for the dress up clothes and don't worry about the other stuff. Also, let them know that most boys will be dressed like them, and that right after dinner they can run back to the cabin and change!

Good luck and happy cruising.
Old March 15th, 2005, 07:58 PM
cali-croozer

I don't know how to edit my posts, so I'll just continue (had to leave to get something into the oven)

Is this their first cruise? I ask because my boys were horrified when I took them "cruise shopping" for their first cruise.......they were 11 and 13. I told them we wouldn't be bringing any jeans, jean shorts, basketball shorts or t-shirts. We picked out a nice mix and match assortment of khaki shorts and pants, hawaiian type shirts, etc. (we were fortunate to have dress up clothes for them, as they were in the school band). Anyway, once they got on the cruise, they loved their clothes! They would have never picked out that "style" on their own. They continued to wear their "cruise clothes" when we got home. Of course, they had their other clothes, but every few days, I was able to see nice fitting, neat clothes on them.
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Baggies okay for the rest of the cruise, but I agree you should put your foot down about that look in the dining room at night. Either that, or let them know they will have to eat at the Lido buffet if they won't put on the "nice" clothes.

My son accepted the dress code much easier than I thought. Especially when he saw virtually ALL the other teens dressed appropriately.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Annie Dudley

I have 2 sons 15 and almost 13. Formal night is giving me panic attacks. Can they have black slacks, button up white shirt and tie? I looked for jackets but couldn't find any decent ones at second hand stores and didn't want to spend the money for brand new that they will out grow immediately. Please advise. And quick... we leave this week! :o)
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Yeoman

The boys already have suits for formal night and dress slacks for the others.
I put my foot down on that one right away. They are gonna look hansome, even if they are not happy about it. It's just that for the rest of the cruise, they wish to dress like they always do. I am gonna try to suggest some new things and see how that goes.
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:36 PM
cali-croozer

Annie, what cruise line? My responses are based on my experiences on Carnival, where most teen boys will wear dress slacks, dress shirt and tie and dress shoes on formal nights. Some, but not all, will have jackets. If your kids don't have one, I wouldn't go out and buy one. Don't panic!!! Have a great cruise.

Momx4---sounds like a good compromise to me! During the day, and after dinner, you'll see teens in all different kinds of clothes. In fact, during the day, they'll probably be in their swim trunks most of the time. It's good to suggest some new things, though. I did, and my boys ended up liking them; and......they look so good in their pictures! Don't stress; have a great cruise!
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Annie Dudley

Cali,

Thanks. We're on Carnival Conquest. That makes me feel better. My 7 yo daughter, however, will be dressed better than me :o)

Annie
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:55 PM
cali-croozer

Annie, I'm going on the Conquest too, in June! Can't wait! Please post a review when you get back; I'm really interested in the teen club. Have a great cruise!!!!!
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Yeoman

We are on the Sovereign of the Seas in April, out of Port Canaveral.
I talked to the boys, they all stated that at meals they would dress as I please, but on the rest of the cruise, its thier trip!
I guess I should not complain. When needed they will look great.
And like someone said, its hot, they will be in swimsuits most of the time!
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

momx4

Don't worry, we were on the Sovereign two years ago and during the days its very casual. My kids dressed for formal night and wore nice clothes for the rest of the dinners (I put my foot down on that one too!). The remainder of the cruise I let them dress like they wanted. They spent about 90% of the time in swimwear. Make sure you get pictures on formal night. I found its the one time I have the whole family all dressed up in one place!

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Yeoman

Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!

Families usual attire-
Husband - always in levis and nice dress shirt
3 boys - baggies pants( showing boxers waits bands) basic hip hop shirts
Daughter - jeans and REDSOX shirt ( die hard fan) its driving me nuts!
Me - after all of the above, why bother................Jean and t's.

Can't wait till formal night, everyone will be dress to the nines, and hopefully smiling!
Old March 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Mom X4 - i would double check with your cruise line, most don't allow jeans and t-shirts in the MAIN Dining Rooms even on casual nights. Dockers type and cargo pants are the preferred clothing for men/boys. Most girls will be in capris and cute tops or short flirty skirts with cute tops, most ladies will be in capris with a nice blouse, sundress or dockers type pants with a nice blouse.
Old March 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Yeoman

LisaK,
I was discribing our usual attire at home.
That's why I can't wait till formal night photo opt.
FInally a nice family photo, even if it's not truely us!
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Admiral

oops, gotcha my bad <blush, blush>
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Admiral

I couldn't get my son to SMILE in the formal night photo, so it's lovely of me, but he looks like a convict......

dorothy

Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:58 PM
cali-croozer

Dorothy.........we all try to smile and look natural, but it always takes tons of pictures before we find one that all 4 of us, at least, look normal in. Sometimes, it's just making sure nobody blinked! That's what's great about the pics for formal night......we go to each station so we have lots of pics to choose from.
Old March 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Help - Teenage boys fashion statement!

My boys (16 and 14) are actually looking forward to the formal nights - they want all three of us in tuxes. Imagine that! They were against dressing up initially, but they have looked at cruise brochures, websites, etc., and decided that formal night means formal wear.

Of course, the 14 year thinks I am going to let him get a lime green tuxedo

The compromise there is - two formal nights. First night, all black. Second night - black suits, but everyone gets to select a fancy bow tie and cummerbunr or vest. So.... we shall see how this all works out.

I'm looking forward to the photos.
Old March 21st, 2005, 08:04 PM
travelpro

Appropriate dress is one thing that has been missed in dressing our children. They need to know what is appropriate at certain occassions and what is not. I often ask myself what these kids would wear at a job interview.
I agree with my fellow cruisemates that your foot should be hard on the mat telling them that they must dress in appropraite style at dinner, especially at formal night. A suit for the males and a dress or pants suit for the women. That is acceptable and appropriate. They can save the hip hop style for their friends another night.
Wearing loose clothing with their shirt tails hanging out woth a tie does not count.
Big Red Boat May 1997, May 1999
Disney Magic December 1999, December 2002
Carnival Sensation March 2001
Crown Dynasty July 2000
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas December 2003
Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas November 2005
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:13 PM
cali-croozer

travelpro...........the OP stated her boys already have suits for formal nights and dress slacks for the other nights. She was concerned about their dress for the rest of the cruise. (6th post down)
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:45 PM
Yeoman

travelpro........as the years go by, my younger son's (13 & 12) will get older and by then
know how to properly dress for a job interview. But as for now, thier still just boys.
My oldest dresses very nicely for his job, he is a host. It's easy to tell them what to wear, even though they hate it, they'll do it. They just want to relax and be themselves during part of the cruise. I don't agree with a lot of today's fashions, but my mom did not agree with the beetles either! So I give in alittle to get a lot!
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Diver, It hink you should let your son get that lime green tux!

Think how wonderful it will be to see that photo over the years and it will be great to show his wife one day.....

dorothy

Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Trust me, the photo of me in my powder blue circa 1976 tux at my HS prom is enough of a memory.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Yeoman

Diverbl....Now you see what I mean....Fashion changes all the time, I can't keep up!
The lime green does sound kinda cool though... How dark is it?
You know, green is "The Color" this season, he could actually be one up on us all.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think we will go with a green tie and cummerbund for him one night - just to let him get crazy. lol
Old March 24th, 2005, 06:00 AM
windycity kitty

It's just the style now days. It's funny when I was in high school in the 80's we wore our jeans so tight the girls used to use a pliers to zip them up, I had a pair like that and they were not comfortable at all! Now I wear them to fit, not too tight or slightly baggy I draw the line at underwear showing. My friends daughter is 16 and she does the baggy everything hip hop look, it's even worse when girls do it cause some times you can see their thong, not boxers, thong. So be glad they are boys It's fashion give it a while and it will change, other then formal night should not be a problem at all some day they will look back and say I can't belive I walked around like that, it's part of growing up and trying to fit in, with others their own age.
Old March 24th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Yeoman

Hopefully thongs will be gone by the time my 9 yr old daughter is that age!
I don't think I could handle that one!!!