Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to ydoodle
Default Beach Towels....?

We plan on hitting the beaches on our cruise, and was wondering if I should bring a few beach towels in my luggage. I hate to take the room when I could pack more shoes, tops, shorts, slacks, etc......
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Re: Beach Towels....?

the ship will provide them for you. no need to bring any from home. (I know a newbee when I see them with a towel that is not one of the cruise ships. hee hee.)
Most of the time there are lots and lots of them beside the gangway just as you start to leave the ship. also, they are stacked near the pool.
Happy cruises.
Carole
p.s. just a little tip: take twice as much money and only half the clothing.
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:01 PM
Passenger

I am a newbie and you will be able to notice it if you are on our cruise. I lose things easily, and I don't want to pay for a lost cruise ship towel, so I am taking my own beach towel. : )
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

To each his own
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:16 PM
sls

Different ships treat pool towels differently. Carnival usually only provides them in the stateroom or by the pool. Each place you are responsible for returning them or paying a fee.

sls
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:12 AM
JPHC

WERENT WE ALL NEWBIES ONCE?LETS BE POLITE
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I'm not a newbie and always bring my own beach towels. I don't want to spend my vacation keeping watch over towels and then pay $25 per towel if they're lost or stolen. I get cheap ones at WalMart or Target.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
Becky5830

I took my own beach towel and used it at the pool on the ship -- it was easy to spot my lounge chair. When we went to beaches I used the ships beach towels, just so I wasn't carrying sand all over the place with my own towel. Princess was wonderful about replacing ourt towels promptly.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM
Admiral

we use the ships towels, Princess is great about the towels, you get fresh ones in your stateroom each time it is cleaned, leave the used ones on the bathroom floor. IF you need extra towels all you have to do is ask your steward. I know that some folks do bring their own, some buy cheapie towels and throw them away at the end of their beach day. To each his own. The ships towels are very nice, that's part of the reason that some lines charge for un-returned towels.
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM
Admiral

If you don't want to pack them beforehand, buy them when you get to your departure point if time and transportation permits. There are WalMart's everywhere. You can also sometimes find cheap towels in CVS or Walgreens. If you get cheap ones, you may not worry about bringing them home or losing them.

Old April 1st, 2005, 07:13 PM
HFWT

Anybody know the policy on Celebrity for towels. Do they provide towels for the beach?
Thanks!!!
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:51 PM
pattaicake

we are going with family of 11 on the victory, carnival in july to the western carribean. we are doing three excursions which require towels. we have five kids in the group. i got everyone a beautiful, big colorful(different) beach towel for christmas so they could have them for the cruise. i may be a newby too but we will see our towels , because they are very bright and noticeable. i also do not want to be paying for towels that get left on some island or by the pool or whatever. my family says i say thing to them a million times a nd it drives them crazy, so now i do not havae to say do not forget your carnival towel. if they lose these beach towels, they are lost and i have lost maybe $7. take your own towels, so you can recognize them and have a wonderful time newby. from another newby.
Old April 21st, 2005, 09:23 PM
First Mate

Default Like this crafty idea? Re: Beach Towels....?

I totally agree with the not having to watch a $25 towel idea. I also have the mindset this cruise of "retiring some items in the Caribbean" My old socks, underwear and beach towels may be making a One Way trip! Less to pack on way back, room for shopping! If one wants to bring back a beach towel, use it to wrap soveniers, or better yet buy a beach towel as a sovenier!

I haven't done it yet--does this sound like a good idea?
I am thinking of sewing large pieces of velcro onto corners of beach towels to anchor my towel to deck chair, for wind and "security" that it won't just blow off. Ok--maybe I am over planning my cruise, hey half the fun of cruising is the journey getting their and planning it!

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM
georgia peach

Default Re: Like this crafty idea? Re: Beach Towels....?

We will be taking our Walmart towels! I can think of other things to spend my $25 on.

You are certainly not the only one in overplanning mode so don't give it a second thought! Have a great time !!!

30 days and counting !!!!!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
CruzCrazy

All cruiselines offer towels, but you are responsible for them.

If you think you are going to lose them, just buy some inexpensive towels and bring them.

The beach towels they give you are kind of thick, so you might want a thinner colorful one and then no one would take it by even mistake on the beach.
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Passenger

Thanks to this post, we went out tonight and bought some beach towels at the Disney Store for $7.99. Very colorful and easy to spot! I will use a Cinderella towel and my husband will use a Stitch towel. We are Disney nuts anyway, and this is the first summer in 12 years that we are not going to Florida so that we could try a cruise.
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
First Mate

i will be taking my first cruise where i will be hitting the beach, so this is a great thread for me.

we will be getting into san diego the day before and plan on buying some wine to bring on board. i will use my towels to wrap the bottles in. then as someone suggested, on the way home wrap souveniers in them. i sure dont want to have to pay for the ship towels either. thanks for the great ideas.

Old July 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Luthien

Celebrity's policy is that you either bring their towels back or pay between $20 and $30 for each towel (you can also purchase them if you really like them). I don't remember the exact price.
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:33 PM
rosetattoo

Our group always bring their own beach towels (inexpensive but easy to recognize on a chair), we never use the cruise line's towels simply because of the $25 per lost towel fee. A few years ago we booked an excursion to Dunns River Falls on a catamaran and were told to leave all our personal items on the catamaran (including towels) while we climbed the Falls. After our climb we returned to the catamaran and four people could not find their towels, someone had grabbed them (either on purpose or by accident) but these four people (who I spoke to later in the cruise) were charged for those towels.
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Admiral

We actually buy our towels as souvenirs in port - that way we don't worry about loosing the ship's pricey towels and we have a great reminder of our trip - that is actually useful (unlike spoon holders and fridge magnets lol). My favs came from Key West. They were only $4 each. TTFN Jennifer
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

I think it would be better if the cruiselines went back to using the cheapie towels instead of charging $25 for their $5 towel.

Cheers,
Peter