Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HGeffen
Default What to wear?

What should I wear on my cruise? I know you aren't supposed to wear jeans to dinner, but can you wear jeans during the day?

I am also curious about my boyfriend, the only things in his wardrobe are baggy pants and t-shirts. Would this be okay to wear during the day, or should I think about buying him some new outfits for the cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Admiral

HGeffen; if you are cruising the Caribbean- 99% of your day with be spent in either shorts or a swimsuit.
I don't even bother packing jeans, they are just too hot and too heavy for the warm tropical weather of the Caribbean
As for jeans in the dining room on casual nights - some lines allow it, some don't - it is up to the discretion of the the Maitre D.
A much better choice than jeans would be a nice pair of Dockers type casual pants - for both men and women, and a nice polo or short-sleeve shirt. Nice capris, or a sundress also works great for the ladies
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Which cruise line are you going on? They can differ a lot not only in the official dress code, but also in what the other passengers will be wearing. We can help more if you let us know!
Marty
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Admiral

HGeffen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What should I wear on my cruise? I know you aren't supposed to wear jeans to dinner, but can you wear jeans during the day?
Since you did not say where you are going or on which cruise line, we can only answer in general terms.

On most cruise lines, bluejeans are not appropriate evening attire for anybody -- even if they have fancy designer labels and fabulous price tags. Some cruise lines also ban bluejeans in the main dining room during the day, but you can get around this by eating breakfast and lunch at the buffet, the grille, or, if the ship has one, the pizzeria or the spa cafe.

Bluejeans generally are acceptable anywhere else during the daytime, but you probably won't want to wear them because most cruises go to warm destinations, as others have pointed out, so this really is not a major issue. If you are going to the Caribbean or to the Mexican Riviera, for example, you can expect temperatures in the 80's or higher during the daytime even in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am also curious about my boyfriend, the only things in his wardrobe are baggy pants and t-shirts. Would this be okay to wear during the day, or should I think about buying him some new outfits for the cruise?
Yes, he could wear those during the day. The rub is that they really are not appropriate even for "casual" evenings, so he's going to have to bring two changes of clothes per day if he is going to wear those outfits during the daytime. Practically speaking, the better soluton is to bring polo or golf shirts (one per day plus a spare), a couple pairs of slacks or khakis to wear with the polo or golf shirts on "casual" evenings, and three or four pairs of shorts to wear with the same polo or golf shirts during the daytime.

And I should also mention that each of you will need appropriate attire for the "formal" evenings. For gentlemen, I'm not aware of any cruise line that does not admit either a dinner jacket or "tuxedo" outfit or a dark business suit for the "formal" evenings, and a few lines may even admit a sport coat and tie. For ladies, either a full length dress such as a ball gown, a "prom dress," or a "bridesmaid's dress" or a formal cocktail dress that most ladies would wear to a wedding, a funeral, or your office Christmas party would be appropriate. The best advice is always to follow the dress standards published by your cruise line.

Norm.
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HGeffen

Thanks guys!
We are doing a Royal Carribean 7 day.
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Beginner

I will be packing several sundresses that don't wrinkle easily. They're great because you can just throw them on over your bathing suits. Also bring sandals and/or flip flops. I don't plan on bringing any jeans...it'll be hot and I just don't find them as comfortable. But whatever you decide to bring, make sure they're things that travel easily (don't take up a lot of space, don't wrinkle easily). Capri pants are cute and comfortable and you might want to bring a shawl or two (they can double as sarongs and you can use them to cover up on cool nights).