Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Default Are jeans resort casual?

My husband and I (24 & 25) are booked to go on our very first cruise next month (Carnival Fantasy).
We are trying to figure out what to pack. On the Carnival website it says "resort casual" and no shorts or t-shirts are allowed in the dining room. Would jeans and a polo shirt be ok? Or would it be more appropriate to wear khakis or slacks?
Thanks so much in advance.
I love these message boards btw, so much information!
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Admiral

slacks and khakis for the formal dining room. It might be too hot to wear jeans in any case. have a fantastic cruise.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Passenger

Thanks for your response! Just thought of another question too.
When it comes to formal night, do you have to wear a sports jacket?
My husband has black dress pants, nice button down shirt w/ tie. I just bought a nice black dress that I think will work. We are just not real "dressy" people, and don't want to buy a jacket that may never get worn again.
Should we skip formal night all together or will the shirt and tie work?
Thanks!
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jene,
Does your husband have a suit, usually the men wear dark suits for formal evening. Otherwise the nice dress slacks and a jacket should do. The formal evenings in the dining room are fun and you really don't want to miss it. They will also be taking formal photo's that evening and you may want to get a picture taken to remember the wonderful time you are having.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Admiral

I'm going to get my posterior kicked for this, I know. BUT, having been on more Carnival cruises than I can count, I have to say that their dress code is a lot more lax than other lines. I have seen all kinds of attire on formal night and jeans for non-formal are common. Almost everyone does dress nicely, but they are more casual than you might expect. Okay, gang, I am NOT saying that it is a good thing or that we should not follow the rules, but merely stating what I have observed.
Marty
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Admiral

technically no jeans are not considered as resort casual, but Carnival does allow nice jeans in the main dining rooms on casul nights. We are casual folks also but we dont' bother with jeans, we found that they are just to dark, heavy and hot for tropical temperatures.
Your husband should have a jacket for formal nights, the vast majority of men do wear suits, but suit separates are also just fine. You can pick up a dark suitcoat for a reasonable price at most major retailers, even check out your local thrift, consignment shop.Most men need to have at least a dark suitcoat in their basic wardrobe for things like weddings, funerals etc. IF he buys a good quality, classic cut and fit jacket he will have it as a wardrobe staple for many, many years.
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Passenger

Good point on the temperature when wearing jeans, didn't really think about that.
Thanks so much for your responses, you have definitely helped me out. I think we will invest in a jacket for him, or atleast borrow one
Thanks again!
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Jene,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Good point on the temperature when wearing jeans, didn't really think about that.
Thanks so much for your responses, you have definitely helped me out. I think we will invest in a jacket for him, or atleast borrow one
Thanks again!
Well, the proper attire for the "formal" evenings really is either "black tie" (dinner jacket outfit or tuxedo) or a dark business suit even on Carnival. Nonetheless, Carnival is a bit more lax so your husband could get away with a sport coat and tie, and there will be enough other men doing so to ensure that he won't feel totally out of place.

That said, there's also not much point in spending money on something that your husband may never wear again. Rather, it might be better to rent formalwear for your husband for this cruise. There are at least a couple options for doing so. Since you are going to a warm climate, I recommend that you consider setting him up with a white dinner jacket outfit rather than a tuxedo.

>> 1. All of the major cruise lines have a rental service that will deliver a "black tie" outfit to your cabin on embarkation day and pick it up after you leave, so you just leave it in the cabin when you depart. This option probably will cost a few dollars more than a local rental, but it avoids the need to pack his formalwear in your luggage.

>> 2. Most "tuxedo" shops offer cruise packages, typically for about $90, which include rental of the suit with two shirts, studs, and cuff links, a vest and matching tie and a cummerbund with matching tie (so he'll have two different "looks"), and dress shoes for nine or ten days spanning the cruise. This option is generally a bit less expensive than the ship's rental service, but you have to pick it up, pack it both ways, and return it after the cruise.

After you and your husband find that you enjoy the cruise, you can consider what he might want to purchase (or what you might want to give to him as a gift for Christmas, for his birthday, for your wedding anniversary, or for some other occasion) to wear on future cruises.

Norm.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Passenger

Not to sound rude, but if he doesn't have a suit, what does he wear to funerals and weddings? Every man should own at least one dark suit.

If cost is an issue, you can find a good deal on one on ebay and then pay maybe $30 to your tailor to have it altered. I've actually seen some really good deals on there before.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
Admiral

wmufiji,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Not to sound rude, but if he doesn't have a suit, what does he wear to funerals and weddings? Every man should own at least one dark suit.
In most of North America, a sport coat or "blazer" and tie is acceptable attire for such occasions. A few religious sects might expect a suit.

Norm.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
wmufiji,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
In most of North America, a sport coat or "blazer" and tie is acceptable attire for such occasions. A few religious sects might expect a suit.

Norm.
I don't see it as religious at all. We must live in different regions of the country then. I was recently married and of the 300 guests, not one man was wearing less than a suit.

Not saying what is right or wrong, just stating that more formal must be the norm in our area.

Wow, we've really gotten off of the original topic here. My fault.
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Where I live we wear jeans and a nice shirt to funerals and weddings even to Churhc. My husband wears jeans and tshirt to Churhc every week. So some people are more relaxed then others my teens wera only jeans and tshirts from AE and OldNavy.
8)
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Admiral

No jeans.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Admiral

cruisingfrompa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Where I live we wear jeans and a nice shirt to funerals and weddings even to Churhc. My husband wears jeans and tshirt to Churhc every week. So some people are more relaxed then others my teens wera only jeans and tshirts from AE and OldNavy.
In that case, you might want to consider cruising with Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. AFAIK, Windjammer currently is the only cruise line which says explicitly that jeans (or shorts) and "T" shirts are acceptable evening attire.

OTOH, a cruise on another line would be an excellent opportunity to teach your children that jeans and "T" shirts are not acceptable everywhere and that there are times and places that require something different....

Norm.
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Passenger

I bought him a dark suit..... so we are good to go now!!
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Passenger

I think jeans are a touchy "in-between" subject......not expressly forbidden like shorts, swim suits, tank tops, etc, but probably not preferred, either. I did wear jeans to the formal dining room mostly because I forgot to pack casual khakis as I only wear those to work normally anyway, and my suit pants ended up being a bit tight and uncomfortable, so I only wore those for the formal nights.

It was definitely not too hot in the dining rooms for jeans. If anything, I found the indoor temperature of the ship to be on the chilly side. At least in our cabin, we were able to turn down the AC to almost nothing and sometimes it was nothing because the air temperature/humidity never got too much to handle.

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Admiral

It also depends on the cruise line. On Carnival, you would see lots of jeans. Personally, I don't wear them, and I dislike the pretense of Carnival's dress code. Why not just say it is casual instead of resort casual? I can do either, but prefer things to be presented as they really are.
Marty
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Admiral

When I have been on Carnival, I see jeans but none in the dining rooms.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Passenger

I was talking to a friend who cruises alot and told me it be okay to wear casual jeans pnes not distincly made out of denim material. So i think i wil just plan on wearing what i do on special occasion though i think on formal night we are planning on getting all dressed up because we think it will be fun and we found soem cute formal gowns to wear.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
In that case, you might want to consider cruising with Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. AFAIK, Windjammer currently is the only cruise line which says explicitly that jeans (or shorts) and "T" shirts are acceptable evening attire.

OTOH, a cruise on another line would be an excellent opportunity to teach your children that jeans and "T" shirts are not acceptable everywhere and that there are times and places that require something different....

Norm.

I wouldn't go recommending a Windjammer cruise to someone as an alternative to cruising on Carnival or another cruise line.
Windjammer is a whole different type of adventure, and it's apples to oranges to compare the two.
Just because someone wants to dress more casual doesn't mean they should book a Windjammer cruise.

I've been on both types of cruises -- one does not substitute for another.
It's like saying "Well, if you don't want to stay at the Ritz, go camping."

Also, HAL now allows jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights.
The cruise line has dropped its ban on jeans from its brochures and its daily calendar.
I never pack jeans for a cruise for two reasons: I find them too heavy for Caribbean weather, and I find them to "everyday" for a special getaway.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Fruitcake,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I wouldn't go recommending a Windjammer cruise to someone as an alternative to cruising on Carnival or another cruise line.
Windjammer is a whole different type of adventure, and it's apples to oranges to compare the two.
Just because someone wants to dress more casual doesn't mean they should book a Windjammer cruise.

I've been on both types of cruises -- one does not substitute for another.
It's like saying "Well, if you don't want to stay at the Ritz, go camping."
Well, there's "more casual" and then there's "more casual." Princess is "more casual" than Celebrity, but still expects (and, according to a post that I saw recently, is now enforcing) either "black tie" or a dark business suit on the "formal" evenings. The poster proposed a standard of dress that would not be acceptable on most other lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Also, HAL now allows jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights.
The cruise line has dropped its ban on jeans from its brochures and its daily calendar.
Thanks for the update -- but does that mean anything goes? Are the pre-tattered bluejeans sold by Old Navy, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle Outfitters, etc., acceptable?

Norm.
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Passenger

Ok there are jeans you can get @ AE and Old Nay that arent torn and ripped thye seriously have som nice casual pants for teens and adult i seenthey have cute sun dresses too.
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
Beginner

I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE TRAVEL IN JEANS, BUT NOT WEAR THEM ON THE SHIP. KHAKI OR WHITE COTTON CAPRIS OR SLACKS OR DOCKERS ARE THE MOST POPULAR. IF YOUR SHIP HAS A WESTERN NIGHT YOU MIGHT SEE JEANS, BUT BELIEVE ME, THEY MAKE YOU FEEL PRETTY WARM.
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONJOE
I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE TRAVEL IN JEANS, BUT NOT WEAR THEM ON THE SHIP. KHAKI OR WHITE COTTON CAPRIS OR SLACKS OR DOCKERS ARE THE MOST POPULAR. IF YOUR SHIP HAS A WESTERN NIGHT YOU MIGHT SEE JEANS, BUT BELIEVE ME, THEY MAKE YOU FEEL PRETTY WARM.
Many people who live in our area said that when they went on Carnival Cruises they seen losts of people wearing jeans we wear jeans in the summer around here even if its really hot i have a hard time getting my oldest to wear shorts she likes her AE jeans. I guess it all in what fell comfortable i just got a new job and we are allowed to dress in casual jean style pants and we have dress down days. So I guess i will bring shorts for the day and jeans for all but formal nights if no likes it they odnt have to look at me. If they do they are not going ot hurt my feelings.
Last Sunday in Church our pastor preached in jeans and a dress shirt . In the North East Pa styles are mainly dress style jean wear and nice shirt.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Beginner

HI AGAIN, I THINK YOU MISUNDERSTOOD. JEANS ARE LOVED BY ALL BUT THEY ARE NOT RESORT WEAR. I WEAR JEANS ALL THE TIME BUT NOT ON A CRUISE. IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A TEENAGER THEY CAN SLIP UNDER THE RADAR. TROPICAL WEATHER MEANS TROPICAL CLOTHING. ITS ALL ABOUT COMFORT.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Passenger

"dress style jean wear"

You couldn't make this up if you tried. Classic.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Admiral

cruisingfrompa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
... dress style jean wear....
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmufiji
Yes, "wmufiji" is right. There's no such thing. Even designer jeans are NOT dress clothing.

Norm.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Passenger

Quote:
"dress style jean wear"

hey tahnks it is true though i se it at my business every day people wearing dress style casual jean wear to work. IT IS ACCEPTABLE IN PA
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
cruisingfrompa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
... dress style jean wear....
Quote:
Yes, "wmufiji" is right. There's no such thing. Even designer jeans are NOT dress clothing.

Norm.
You know i alway thought that cruising wasnt for those who like to be them selves and not have to wear stuffy businees suits and resort wear my resort wear is jean shorts and a tshirt no one likes it thats just tough i am so tired of bossy people throwing there comments around like there better then others
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Admiral

cruisingfrompa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
You know i alway thought that cruising wasnt for those who like to be them selves and not have to wear stuffy businees suits and resort wear my resort wear is jean shorts and a tshirt no one likes it thats just tough i am so tired of bossy people throwing there comments around like there better then others
Nobody is claiming to be better than anybody else.

But I am fed-up-to-here with the "I'll-do-what-I-d@^&-well-please-regardless-of-whether-it's-appropriate-or-not-and-the-h#//-with-anybody-else!" attitude of many people in today's society.

Let me propose a simple way to deal with this.

>> If you want to wear jeans, you cruise on a line that says that jeans are acceptable attire.

>> If I don't want to be around people who are not wearing jeans, I'll cruise on a line that says that jeans are not acceptable attire.

That way, we both can do what we want and our paths won't cross so neither of us will encounter any conflict.

Is that fair enough?

Norm.