Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:53 PM
Passenger

Default Comfortable heels for formal night

We are going on cruise to Alaska in Aug/Sept on the Coral Princess , and I just got my dress for the formal night, dusty lilac with crystal beading. Now I need to find some shoes to go with it. I have problems with my feet and need comfortable shoes, but I want stylish also. Does anyone have any suggestions for comfortable, (no pointy toes) inexpensive heels?
And what do you think, sparkly silver or white shoes? Maybe something else?
Thanks
Susan
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

The sparkly silver will take away from the dress & point it towards your feet. Go with a soft white.

Keep the heel low in case of rough seas. Balancing in high heels will be risking a busted ankle.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Comfortable heels for formal night

Susan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are going on cruise to Alaska in Aug/Sept on the Coral Princess , and I just got my dress for the formal night, dusty lilac with crystal beading. Now I need to find some shoes to go with it. I have problems with my feet and need comfortable shoes, but I want stylish also. Does anyone have any suggestions for comfortable, (no pointy toes) inexpensive heels?
And what do you think, sparkly silver or white shoes? Maybe something else?
The dress sounds very pretty!

Either white or sparkly silver shoes would be fine, as would black shoes.

And let me encourage you to buy shoes of high quality, whichever color you choose, as cheap shoes often cause foot problems. I'm sure that you have ocasions at home (weddings, funerals, etc.) when you need to wear dress shoes and you are looking at colors that are pretty neutral, so the shoes won't be a wasted investment even if you never cruise again. The investment in quality usually is the most economical option in the long run, and that's especially true of shoes.

Norm.
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Norm,
I guess we won't need that cardiac unit after all. :o
I do agree that shoes one wears every day should be the best quality one can possibly afford, since they can affect your feet. But, for special occasion shoes, not so much. You just aren't wearing them long enough for that to make a difference.
To respond to OP, I bought a pair of clear plastic shoes with a teensy bit of sparkle across the top and a low heel. The plastic has enough give to make them comfy and I can wear them with anything. Very Cinderella-ish!
I also have a pair of black flats that have slim elastic bands criss crossing over the top. My feet sometimes swell like crazy on a cruise, especially those 10 days or longer and these are the only shoes I can get on my feet...for dressy or casual. If I do need to wear them on formal night, I go with very long skirt or even dressy slacks so that the shoes are less noticeable.
But, the advice not to wear high heels is very appropriate. My first cruise...eons ago, I wore my Italian made black leather strappy sandals with 3 1/2" heels. Very expensive and I loved how they looked. Almost missed the entire cruise because the ship rocked a teensy bit while I was walking down stairs and I went flying! Have gone with lower heels on ships ever since.
Marty
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Marty,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm,
I guess we won't need that cardiac unit after all. :o
I do agree that shoes one wears every day should be the best quality one can possibly afford, since they can affect your feet. But, for special occasion shoes, not so much. You just aren't wearing them long enough for that to make a difference.
Really?

Six to eight hours at a whack several times per week is not enough to make a difference?

And this occurs precisely on the evenings when you really want to put your best foot forward, so to speak. Those who come with cheap or poorly fitted shoes invariably are the ones who end up removing their shoes midway through the evening.

The other sound advice is to get shoes with soles that are good for dancing, as there's plenty of opportunity to dance on the "formal" evenings. Leather soles are best.

Now, start up that defibrillator....

As to the issue of heels, I agree completely with the advice not to get an excessive heel. The sophisticates who wear 6" heels to work every day, can do likewise on cruise with no problem, but those who are not accustomed to high heels are better off with something more modest. A patent leather pump is quite acceptable. OTOH, I suspect that high heels are completely out of the question for most ladies with foot problems.

Even for those who do not have foot problems, there's nothing less elegant than struggling with heels higher than those to which one is accustomed. Aboard ship, there's the additional danger that the ship's motion could throw those who are unsure of their balance into magificient "vertical outside swivels" (AKA "going @$$ over teakettle" in redneck country). Those who are accustomed to wearing low shoes need to start with small heels and work their way up to higher heels over time rather than delving directly into that pair of 7" stilettos. This process stretches the tendons and muscles in the shins so that the foot can take on the proper angle for progressively higher heels.

Norm.
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Norm, you seem to know ALOT about ladies footwear (Except for the heel heights which are ridiculous exaggerations unless you are talking platform stripper shoes, which I highly doubt anyone would wear on a cruise unless it's Halloween.)

According to Wikipedia, a high heel is anything over 2.5". I do agree that you shouldn't wear any shoe on vacation that you haven't test-driven plenty at home first, if only to break them in and avoid the dreaded blister. I'm wearing flip-flops right now to toughen the skin between my toes.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yeoman

Silver is a very popular color for shoes this season.

The fashion editor of our newspaper did a feature on buying shoes for less. She tried a number of shoes from Payless for different occasions. Some bothered her feet, others were "keepers" and worked fine.

Another styles writer interviewed one of the fashion mavens in this area [a former model and actress] and told how this very stylish woman mixes and matches her expensive clothing and footwear with items from Target and similar stores. Expensive doesn't always translate to *the best* -- go with whatever works for you.
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Passenger

I like kitten heels. It's all I need under a full-length formal dress. And they make it easy to walk. I'm not a fan of heels of the 3-inch variety.
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Passenger

Default Formal shoes

Thank you all so much for your imput. I will definately wear low heels and comfortable shoes.
Susan
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Beginner

Default Try a pair of SAS

I like S.A.S. shoes because they come in all different width and sizes. The colors are limited (black, beige, white, neutral colors) but they are comfortable. I have problems with my toes and the doctor suggests open toe sandals. You can wear them year round with hosiery.
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Admiral

lauriloo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm, you seem to know ALOT about ladies footwear (Except for the heel heights which are ridiculous exaggerations unless you are talking platform stripper shoes, which I highly doubt anyone would wear on a cruise unless it's Halloween.)
It goes with the territory of being involved in serious ballroom dancing, including some work with a formation team, where footwear -- and especially soles and heels -- really do matter. And yes, i picked the extreme in heights, but only to make a point.

In reality, though, many of the points that I made are just as valid for men as for women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
According to Wikipedia, a high heel is anything over 2.5".
I won't quibble about the definition of "high" in this context, except to note that there's a big difference between the 2 1/2" or 3" heels and the 4" or 5" heels that a lot of stores do carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I do agree that you shouldn't wear any shoe on vacation that you haven't test-driven plenty at home first, if only to break them in and avoid the dreaded blister. I'm wearing flip-flops right now to toughen the skin between my toes.
Yes, wearing shoes enough to break them in also is sage advice, especially if they are a style that one does not normally wear. Nonetheless, properly fitted shoes of decent quality won't cause blisters, even on the first wearing.

Norm.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Passenger

Default Formal Shoes

I wear SAS shoes for work every day. I am a Nurse/Case manager and do a lot of walking. They are the only shoes I have found that don't make my feet to hurt. My Doctor recommened them. Great shoes.
I have a pair of pearlized off white color low heel shoes, they are comfortable as long as I am not on my feet for hours at a time. I was thinking of wearing those with my dress. Any opinions?
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal Shoes

Suzque49,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have a pair of pearlized off white color low heel shoes, they are comfortable as long as I am not on my feet for hours at a time. I was thinking of wearing those with my dress. Any opinions?
The pearlized shoes sound fine.

Norm.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Something within the 2" to 3" range should be fine . . . and silver shoes would look dazzling with your dress
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Beginner

Default Shoes

If its any help, I have just bought two pairs of ballet pump style shoes, one pair with black sequins and the other pair are silver.

These will be fine under a long dress. I have bought these as my husband to be is the same height as me and I don't want to tower over him and also cos I just can't wear heels anymore due to a bad ankle.

My theory is simple flat shoe but with a pretty desgn!!

Sindy