Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Beginner

Default TIPS

How much should be put aside for tips?
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: TIPS

MSNICOLE569,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
HOW MUCH SHOULD BE PUT ASIDE FOR TIPS?
First, welcome aboard -- but there's really no need to SHOUT (type in all caps), as it really makes posts a lot more difficult to read.

To answer your question, the customary tips are as follows.

>> Waiter: $3.50 per passenger per day

>> Assistant Waiter: $2.00 per passenger per day

>> Head Waiter: $0.75 per passenger per day

>> Cabin Steward: $3.50 per passenger per day

>> Butler (if Provided; usually only in suites): $4.00 per passenger per day

These tips are customary paid in cash, either on the last night of the cruise for the dining staff and upon vacating one's cabin for the cabin staff, but some cruise lines now bill these tips to your shpboard account either automatically or optionlly.

Additionally, most cruise lines add the following tips to the respective purchases automatically.

>> Bar Service: 15% of the tab on all bar purchases

>> Spa and Salon Service: 15% of the amount

For these services, the charge to the shipboard account fortheservwill iinclude the tip.

Norm.
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Captain

We also give a small cash tip of about $1.00 each time we use room service and $1.00 per bag for the porter when we get to the terminal and again at debarkation. It is much faster and easier to use a porter to get out of the terminal.

With good service, we leave a cash tip for our wait staff and room steward in addition to the set split tips.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just figure $10.00 per day, per person and you should be fine, more if you think its necessary.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone for your help. I will take my first cruise on May 18, 2008 on the Wonder. I can't wait.
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Default Tips...

Wow I want their job, they are racking in the dough! :o
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi 2Beth,
Yea, they can make a decent living, but the hours they put in, would kill us for sure...They really work for their moneys.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Hi 2Beth,
Yea, they can make a decent living, but the hours they put in, would kill us for sure...They really work for their moneys.
Donna, you are right about that. I have seen our dinner waiter working hard at the breakfast shift, lunch, dinner and late night buffet all in one day. I don't know how they do it for days on end. I'm sure their wages (before tips) must be very low so they have to earn decent tips to do this. I know that a lot of them send money home to their families to exist. I guess this is what motivates them to keep up this grueling schedule. Most of them even do it with a smile and friendly attitude. On our last night of a 12 day Grand Med cruise last year, we asked our wait staff to take our chairs for a few minutes and pretended to swap places with them. This brought the biggest smiles to their faces and showed them that we really appreciated them.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Nothin but blue skies,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Donna, you are right about that. I have seen our dinner waiter working hard at the breakfast shift, lunch, dinner and late night buffet all in one day. I don't know how they do it for days on end. I'm sure their wages (before tips) must be very low so they have to earn decent tips to do this. I know that a lot of them send money home to their families to exist. I guess this is what motivates them to keep up this grueling schedule. Most of them even do it with a smile and friendly attitude. On our last night of a 12 day Grand Med cruise last year, we asked our wait staff to take our chairs for a few minutes and pretended to swap places with them. This brought the biggest smiles to their faces and showed them that we really appreciated them.
The truth is that they work aboard ship because it provides a much better standard of living for themselves and their families than the work that they could obtain on their local economies. Basically, the waiters and cabin stewards generally enjoy what we would regard as an upper middle class standard of living while assistant waiters generally have a standard of living that we would regard as solidly middle class. In addition, many of the younger crew members in these positions are aquiring skills that are imminently marketable in major cities near their homes, where they will be able to find work in upscale hotels and restaurants that cater to tourists and business travellers.

Note that I am not comparing their pay scales to North American pay scales. Their salaries are lower than ours, but the cost of many goods and services in their homelands also is a lot less than what we would pay.

Norm.