CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   old fashioned washboard to save on laundry? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/349696-old-fashioned-washboard-save-laundry.html)

bluebonnets April 8th, 2008 09:45 PM

old fashioned washboard to save on laundry?

I do not want to pay the high price of laundry on board and am considering bringing an old fashion washboard in my luggage. My husband had a gastric bypass and has a few small 'accidents' every day. I am wondering if it would be advisable or practical for him to use a small washboard to scrub out his underwear and pants. I would certainly not feel comfortable asking the cabin Steward to launder such items on a daily basis.

We have considered adult diapers but he is still to large at 380 to fit in one. He had his gastric bypass surgery last July and refuses to abide by the diet and instead gorges himself on sweets 24/7. The sweets cause him to have uncontrollable flatulence and frequent accidents.

My mother-in-law is the one who suggested the old fashioned washboard but I am open to suggestions.

cruise dreaming April 9th, 2008 09:21 PM

Depending on the cruise line you are going on some have self-service laundry room - washer and dryers. On Princess it's about $1.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry.

Donna April 19th, 2008 05:46 AM

Both Princess and Carnival have the self service laundry, what cruiseline are you on?

mehawk April 19th, 2008 10:31 AM

The washboard would be an interesting sight when going through the xray machine. I wished your husband had more will power to help himself. I will pray for that. He has so much to gain from life.

Phil&Liz April 19th, 2008 11:16 AM

This also goes back to the drinking post, and that is why I hesitate to even post to anything the OP submits...but she asked.

Look up the word ENABLER.

From where I sit, I see the OP as trying to be helpful and supportive of her husband, but I have to wonder at some point the "caregiver" is going to reach the breaking point with all of the "issues" he has.

He is too stubborn to follow doctors and advisors instructions to stop drinking and stop eating poorly.

He is destined to fail on both fronts and the OP will only be dragged down with him.

Phil & Liz

TravelBugs April 19th, 2008 08:11 PM

Re: old fashioned washboard to save on laundry?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebonnets
I do not want to pay the high price of laundry on board and am considering bringing an old fashion washboard in my luggage. My husband had a gastric bypass and has a few small 'accidents' every day. I am wondering if it would be advisable or practical for him to use a small washboard to scrub out his underwear and pants. I would certainly not feel comfortable asking the cabin Steward to launder such items on a daily basis.

We have considered adult diapers but he is still to large at 380 to fit in one. He had his gastric bypass surgery last July and refuses to abide by the diet and instead gorges himself on sweets 24/7. The sweets cause him to have uncontrollable flatulence and frequent accidents.

My mother-in-law is the one who suggested the old fashioned washboard but I am open to suggestions.

You sure have a lot on your shoulders. :-?

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593572

kd April 20th, 2008 02:10 PM

I agree that your problem goes way beyond soiled underwear. Your DH needs some counselling along with his bypass, obesity problem. However, if you go ahead with the cruise, you can still buy absorbent underwear 'liners' in place of adult diapers that might solve the immediate problem. There are also very oversize pamper style adult diapers. If you choose either of these options please be sure to bring along a box of good quality garbage bags to tie each soiled one in before depositing them in the garbage cans. A miniature spray bottle (ie. Glade) for your room would also be advisable.

Inregards to the WASHBOARD, forget it. Take along a small bottle of concentrated laundry detergent and simply scrub items in the sink if necessary. (This should be HIS responsibility not YOURS). Perhaps he is not at the point in his recovery to be on a ship where there are sweet temptations "24/7".

colorcrazie April 20th, 2008 02:46 PM

Back to the original question. Old fashioned washboards are hard to find, bulky and heavy. My DH uses them as musical instruments at times. I can tell you where to get a concert grade wash board! LOL :roll: But, even if you find one, it would be very ackward to carry to and from the cruise.
Good luck!
Marty

PBnJ May 23rd, 2008 02:24 PM

You'll need something to kill germs, too

Washboard might help but the greater issue is the germs in this sort of laundry.

Remember this sort of waste has E. Coli and other bad things. So underwear really should be washed in very hot water and/or dried in a high-temp dryer.

Maybe if you used anti-bacterial soap in conjunction with the washboard that would be OK, but if there's a lot of this type of washing you're doing, you could be creating a health risk from touching "clean" clothes that aren't.

And I for one would make him wash his own clothes.

NJ Kathy June 1st, 2008 04:34 PM

Re: old fashioned washboard to save on laundry?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebonnets
I do not want to pay the high price of laundry on board and am considering bringing an old fashion washboard in my luggage.

Why not buy a few of packs of cheap underwear and chuck them if he has an accident. IMO there's no reason to be scrubbing underwear on a washboard on your vacation.

Maruccio September 5th, 2008 03:52 PM

Doing your own laundry is a great idea--I've even stooped to that a few times while on extended trips abroad. The washboard, however, IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY. All you need to do is take a little liquid laundry soap or Woolite (I also take liquid fab softener), and wash things out by hand in the bathroom basin. Unless your husband has a real meltdown, you should be fine.