Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Beginner

Default Don't yell pl. Formal night

Yeah I have read so many opinions. But here goes. Formal night on Alaska cruise, Princess. Is a long black dress with a jacket ok or considered "formal"
enough?
Even If I went out and purchased a sleeveless gown or short sleeve gown I would be too cold and would be covering it up anyway.
I am not the type that likes real frilly type clothing, but still want to be dressed nicely.
Thanks and yeah if you want to yell, go ahead
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Sounds perfect to me. You have a fantastic cruise.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Beginner

Thank You Dina.
I looked on the web site that Princess suggested for a tux rental for husband they also state they have ladies formal wear. soooo after seeing what they rent for ladies formal, I can do better on my own.
What are most women wearing on formal nights?
Do they really wear all the sequins, glitter, etc?
Since there are two formal nights, could I wear a nice, pants outfit, something I would consider appropriate for a wedding.
This formal night thing is making me nutso ))
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Admiral

On formal night I have seen people wear anything from full length/prom dresses all the way to pants suits and sun dresses. I think most people who get dressed up in the tuxes and full length dresses go the extra length to have formal pictures taken before/after dinner because the photographers are all over the place. You pay extra for those. I tend to wear a dress(not full length) and be comfortable. I dont' take the pictures so sometimes I go back to my cabin and change into more comfortable clothes for the evening. Its really all up to you and what your comfortable wearing.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
First Mate

I echo Dina's sentiments.

Old March 26th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Don't yell pl. Formal night

Arizonagal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yeah I have read so many opinions. But here goes. Formal night on Alaska cruise, Princess. Is a long black dress with a jacket ok or considered "formal"
enough?
Yes, that works!

But from a standpoint of packing, you might want to consider bringing a shawl rather than a jacket since a shawl is easier to pack and will take less space in your luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Even If I went out and purchased a sleeveless gown or short sleeve gown I would be too cold and would be covering it up anyway.
I am not the type that likes real frilly type clothing, but still want to be dressed nicely.
Thanks and yeah if you want to yell, go ahead
Princess's "formal" evenings officially are "modified black tie" rather than "white tie" so you don't have to wear an evening gown. Either a full length dress or a formal cocktail dress would proper.

And you probably will see a few arrogant boors who won't dress appropriately....

Norm.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Believe it or not, frilly is actual counterproductive when it comes to formal. The point to formal is to appear elegant. Whether you do this with a little black dress and jacket or a formal gown is entirely up to you. If you look like you are in a wedding where the bridesmaids have horrible dresses, ***** slap the shopkeeper.
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks

The long dress and jacket are a material that is easy to pack and does not wrinkle and the jacket is really the part that makes the outfit look more dressy. But Yes I am packing a shaw/wrap because I don't want to be cold.
Yes I do want to look sort of elegant in a low key way. Also reading that formal night on the Alaska cruise is dressier then other cruises, now that surprises me.
If I find another nice formal type outfit this could be fun!!!
Husband is going to rent the tux. This saves him from having to pack a suit.
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Admiral

You will be fine, but you must remember that an Alaska cruise is colder, so people can more easily dress up more and stay comfortable.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Admiral

don't sweat over formal night, what you have described will be just perfect. I much prefer classic, elegance and if you want to throw in a hint of sparkle thats great. The first formal night, the Captains Gala Welcome Aboard dinner tends to be the dressier of the two formal nights, so if you want to jazz it up a bit, go for it.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Thanks

Arizonagal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The long dress and jacket are a material that is easy to pack and does not wrinkle and the jacket is really the part that makes the outfit look more dressy. But Yes I am packing a shaw/wrap because I don't want to be cold.
That's fine. You can wear the jacket on one "formal" evening and the shawl the other to get two different looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yes I do want to look sort of elegant in a low key way. Also reading that formal night on the Alaska cruise is dressier then other cruises, now that surprises me.
It's not. AFAIK, Princess still "suggests" (by social etiquette, this is NOT optional) that gentlemen wear either "black tie" (tuxedo or dinner jacket outfit) or a dark business suit and that ladies wear a full-length dress, a cocktail dress, or a silk (formal) pant suit for the "formal" evenings. It's often called "modified black tie" because some of the options, although very elegant, are not quite up to the real "black tie" standard.

But when Princess adopted the "Personal Choice Cruising" theme a few years ago, two things happened.

>> 1. The marketing campaign drew a lot of arrogant boors who refuse to conform and don't care that their failure to comply really does detract from the ambiance of the evening.

>> 2. Some people, including travel agents, thought that "Personal Choice Cruising" was the same thing as Norwegian Cruise Line's "Freestyle Cruising" in spite of significant differences. Norwegian Cruise Line officially replaced "formal" evenings with "formal optional" evenings and avertising that fact, so some people thought that Princess had done the same.

The result is that Princess ended up with a significant percentage of passengers who don't comply with the dress code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If I find another nice formal type outfit this could be fun!!!
Husband is going to rent the tux. This saves him from having to pack a suit.
That works!

Norm.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Admiral

I think there are far two many travel agents who do not pay enough attention to anything other than their own bottom line. Being knowledgeable and providing great customer service, while it may reduce the bottom line for a travel agent initially, they more than make up for when their clients recommend said agent to their friends and family. I am having an issue with my travel agent not being up to date with Carnival's fare policies. I, being that I am working on becoming a travel agent myself, find the task of staying updated more enjoyable than that of a chore. I assume many of the agent's who have been in the travel business for many, many years fail to realize how much things have been changing and how much things now change on a day to day basis with the cruise lines. I think this lovely industry has really become very dynamic and customer oriented. I know this is just a long windy observation, but it makes sense to me.