Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Passenger

Default Alaska Cruise with Only a Carryon

Hi everyone! I'm going to be on the Norwegian Star on 7/31 and planning to bring only a carry-on and a backpack. Has anyone done this before? Any advice/tip would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Good luck to you on that I think just your layering pieces could take up most of the room

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 27th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Admiral

A guy I used to work with always traveled without baggage .He would buy clothes at his destination point and either discard them afterward or travel back with them.
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Admiral

the only way i could possibly imagine being able to do that would be to pack the barest of essential mix and match pieces that you can wear more than once, and plan on doing some laundry at some point in time during your cruise. I would make a list of what you need and then do a dry run with your packing
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think its next to impossible, with all the change of clothes you'd need, including some rain gear, comfy shoes, etc... I just can't see it...You may get by cruising the Caribbean with shorts and swimsuits, but not Alaska, JMHO.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Beginner

Hey your on NCL Star see ya Thursday when the ship stops here. You can come to my house and do laundry. Do not worry too much about bringing warm clothes we are having our one week of summer and it is supposed to be nice here.
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Passenger

Aww, you are very nice, kobesam! However, I don't think I should be doing any chores during the cruise, including laundry! I have kids and I do chores 24/7 so I'm determined to have a week chore-free. By the way, what is there to do in Prince Rupert from 4 to 10? Thanks!
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:40 AM
Beginner

Not a lot to do here in fact I feel kind of sorry for the cruise passengers that do come here. I would take an excursion from the ship. It depends what you like. We have the best fishing and whale excursions but if that's not your thing then I would maybe take the bus up to Butze rapids it's a nature trail that takes you through the rain forest (it's all rain forest here) and the tourists seem to like it. Kids can do it no problem my 7yr old has been walking it since she was 3. Otherwise there is absolutly nothing to do here. Oh and the cruise passengers also seem to like Safeway. Remember though it is all in Canadian currency if you buy anything. Either way have a great cruise.

Last edited by kobesam; July 31st, 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If a carry-on and backpack is just "your" stuff then I think you could do it. NCL Freestyle allows you to be fairly casual for dinner. You will need to re-wear a few things and you can send out things to be laundered.

Now: If the carry-on and backpack is for more than one person then I would suggest a very large backpack.

Also: All items brought onboard must fit through the scanner. It is about the same size as an airport scanner/xray machine.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:16 PM
First Mate

Default Who Cares... It is your cruise

Should not be an issue.
Assume you mean a carryon as in a plane on board case vs. cargo and the backpack must be cargo otherwise you would exceed guidelines.

If you wear a light weather jacket, then you can pack minimal and roll the clothes and use ships laundry.
Enough clothes can be bought these days that can do extra duty and even be washed and dried in the cabin though Alaska is questionable. For the price you pay on the cruise use the ships laundry.
A jacket can be rolled and pressed for Formal night and you can do buffet style all you want.

As I said prior, it is your cruise and as long as your clothes are clean and you are happy , enjoy yourself.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Passenger

Has anyone had much success with the plastic bags that you suck the air out of for packing?
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:13 AM
First Mate

Question: Quote: " Has anyone had much success with the plastic bags that you suck the air out of for packing? "

Some people have claimed success though in our family we have used two methods;
- Rolling clothes tight and using all spaces in your luggage except for Jackets and things you want straight. Plastic as in dry cleaner bags placed over pants / Jackets retains a press.
- Tilly Wear and like Travel Stores sell articles to place inside your luggage that allow you to compress clothes together such it was if you had sucked air out.
Basically you could take two pieces of hard light plastic / cardboard , place clothes between and use a few straps or rubber strips to tighten. In essence you have removed Air and kept clothes as if they were just pressed.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old September 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Beginner

I guess it just depends on what you are planning to do such as buy some clothes once you are at your destination which seems it would be more of a hassle than just carrying another bag. I know some people can do this on a 2 day business trip but on a relaxing cruise I would rather bring more than I needed instead of not everything.