CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Bahamas in November (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/377459-bahamas-november.html)

CarolinaGirl October 13th, 2010 03:00 PM

Bahamas in November

What kind of clothing should I pack for a cruise, going of of Charleston, in mid-November. We're going to the Bahamas. Should I pack slacks, shorts, sweaters, or a little of each? I don't want to over pack.

Kathy:confused:

Trip October 13th, 2010 04:20 PM

In November the Bahamas should be fabulous...the chillier weather there, does not really hit till, later in Dec,and January....If Florida gets hit with a cold wave, it's usally safe to say, the Bahamas will be cooler too..

Rev22:17 October 13th, 2010 05:59 PM

Kathy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1322716)
What kind of clothing should I pack for a cruise, going of of Charleston, in mid-November. We're going to the Bahamas. Should I pack slacks, shorts, sweaters, or a little of each? I don't want to over pack.

The weather in the Bahamas is pretty similar to that of the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area. You can expect daytime temperatures in the 70's or 80's most of the time, but the area does get cooler weather now and then so you need to be prepared for it. Every once in a while, this area does get a dusting to an inch of snow. You probably will have good beach weather, but you're far enough north so there's no guarantee.

Since your cruise is leaving from Charleston, you also should expect to encounter cooler weather on the first and last days.

Basically, I recommend bringing three or four pairs of shorts and swimsuits, a pair of slacks for cooler weather, and three or four couple skirts for the "casual" evenings, with tops that you can mix and match. Of course, you'll also want dress clothes for the "formal" evenings.

Also, be sure to bring a sweatshirt, a couple sweaters that will coordinate with your outfits (again, think "mix and match" to provide different looks), and a spring/fall jacket that you can wear over a sweater or sweatshirt for added warmth. If you get a couple extremely cold days, you can always spend them below decks aboard the ship.

Norm.

Skipper's Mom October 13th, 2010 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Rev22:17;1322747]Kathy,

The weather in the Bahamas is pretty similar to that of the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area. You can expect daytime temperatures in the 70's or 80's most of the time, but the area does get cooler weather now and then so you need to be prepared for it. Every once in a while, this area does get a dusting to an inch of snow. You probably will have good beach weather, but you're far enough north so there's no guarantee.

I can assure you that there is NEVER a "dusting of snow" in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area in November! EVER!!! I've been here since 2001 and the weather in November is always wonderful! We had a cool winter last year (Jan-Feb), but that was unusual. I did not break out the boots, sweatshirts, skis, gloves or hats! LOL!

Come on down!

LisaK October 14th, 2010 09:48 AM

definately pack for summer weather- shorts, t-shirts, swimwear for daytime, casual slacks, skirts, capris, a nice dress for casual nights, your formal wear. I would also pack a couple of sweaters, a sweatshirt/sweatpants for cool days out on deck

CarolinaGirl October 14th, 2010 11:15 AM

Thanks everyone. This is our first cruise and I can't wait.

Rev22:17 October 14th, 2010 06:16 PM

Skipper's Mom,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1322766)
I can assure you that there is NEVER a "dusting of snow" in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area in November! EVER!!! I've been here since 2001 and the weather in November is always wonderful! We had a cool winter last year (Jan-Feb), but that was unusual. I did not break out the boots, sweatshirts, skis, gloves or hats! LOL!

Come on down!

Climatologically, a sample of ten years typically will give you a good inidication of normal conditions, but not a reliable indication of likely extremes. It's extremely naive to say that something won't happen just because it has not happened in the past decade. As a college student (1975-1979), I witnessed several aberrant weather patterns that brought abnormally cold weather to Miami.

I looked up the record low temperatures for November in Florida. Here's the list (Temperature- Lowest of Record , Deg F for complete listing by month).

APALACHICOLA, FL - 24
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - 27
FORT MYERS, FL - 34
GAINESVILLE, FL - 25
JACKSONVILLE, FL - 21
KEY WEST, FL - 49
MIAMI, FL - 39
ORLANDO, FL - 29
PENSACOLA, FL - 25
TALLAHASSEE, FL - 13
TAMPA, FL - 23
VERO BEACH, FL - 38
WEST PALM BEACH, FL - 36

Temperatures this low are unusual, to be sure, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Norm.

CarolinaGirl October 19th, 2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1322916)

Temperatures this low are unusual, to be sure, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Norm.

Boy, I sure hope that I don't see snow. haha. We moved to Ohio to get away from snow, and we had 8 inches in one day in SC last year. lol