CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Packing cologne (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/379386-packing-cologne.html)

Trip January 11th, 2011 12:32 PM

Packing cologne

I just saw this in a magazine, great for cruisers,and one less thing to pack.

For the ladies who bring cologne, CVS sells this little spray cylnder that fits over the perfume bottle, once you remove the sprayer..with a few pumps you have transferred your scent! Voila, and ,ready to go..small, unbreakable,and lightweight!! Elimates the possibility of your bottles of colgne breaking,and your things smelling like a you know what:):rolleyes:

Queen of Oakville January 12th, 2011 11:40 AM

I have one better for you Trip - and its FREE!!!!

Go to the sample counter and your local department store and ask for a sample! Depending on the size you get, you may need more than one sample. Small, convenient, and FREE!

I actually picked up a collection of Burbery scents at my last duty free visit. I think it was about $20 and had 5 small travel size bottles, maybe holding 2 ml or less of fragrance. Perfect for travel.

Donna January 12th, 2011 12:51 PM

Trip,
Great tip, I may do that next cruise...I usually just take travel size on a cruise and usually use it up and throw away, or if I have a small amount left at home, just take that...

LisaK January 13th, 2011 11:21 AM

great ideas! i usually get the samples from the dept. store, but the thing from CVS sounds like a great idea too!

Rev22:17 January 13th, 2011 08:32 PM

Donna,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1341932)
... or if I have a small amount left at home, just take that...

There are two things to consider.

>> 1. A container that's less than half full is going to take a lot more space than necessary in your luggage.

>> 2. If you are flying to your cruise ship, the TSA's restricts containers in your carry-on luggage to three (3) fluid ounces. A five ounce container that's only half full is not acceptable.

I have one additional tip. When packing plastic containers that are less than full for a flight, loosen the cap, squeeze about half of the air out of the container, and re-seal the cap before packing the container. While at altitude, the cabins in commercial aircraft are pressurized to the equivalent elevation of about 8,000 feet (about the equivalent of being at the base of a mountain in the midst of the Rockies), where the ambient atmospheric pressure is considerably less than at sea level. If containers are sealed normally near sea level, the drop in ambient pressure can cause the seams to split, spilling the contents. With the air removed, the container can expand to mitigate the drop in pressure. (It's obviously a good idea to break the seal and allow the container to return to its normal shape when you unpack it after the flight so the container does not become permanently deformed.)

Norm.

762X39 May 4th, 2011 06:44 PM

When bringing my favorite scents with me, I do the following:

Fold a sturdy paper towel into a small square.
Thoroughly moisten it with water
Spritz it a few times with my favorite scent
Put inside of a sealable plastic bag.

This takes up very little room, isn't breakable at all,
and won't be thought of by the TSA as any sort of "container"

Dannyboy May 21st, 2011 03:15 PM

[B] A perfume is not the same as a cologne[/B]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1341680)
I just saw this in a magazine, great for cruisers,and one less thing to pack.

For the ladies who bring cologne, CVS sells this little spray cylnder that fits over the perfume bottle, once you remove the sprayer..with a few pumps you have transferred your scent! Voila, and ,ready to go..small, unbreakable,and lightweight!! Elimates the possibility of your bottles of colgne breaking,and your things smelling like a you know what:):rolleyes:

1) Perfume contains the highest concentration of essential oils to alcohol (up to 30% by volume). Cologne contains (about 5% to 8%).

2) Perfume contains more essential oils and is more concentrated, it costs far more than cologne.

3) Perfume lasts longer than cologne. Because perfume is so highly concentrated, a few drops on your skin will last as long as 6-hours. Cologne should to be applied about every 3 hours.

4) I recommend traveling with a high quality perfume, you deserve it :rolleyes:

kat1953 June 4th, 2011 11:12 AM

I am near a Nordstrom store, every Saturday they have "Saturday samples" and many times it is tiny trial vials of cologne. If it is a scent I like, I tuck it into my toilerty kit.

I've tried those travel cologne cannisters and sadly, my cologne dried up in it in a very short amount of time, a couple months I'd say. So my favorite cologne doesn't travel with me.

If none of the above works, there is always the onboard shop. Stop by there on the way to dinner/cocktails and have a free squirt. No purchase necessary, no packing cologne or perfume bottles.

Whatever you do, always remember that cologne/perfume should whisper, not shout. The only person who should be able to smell it is the one nuzzling your neck or has their arm around you. I gag when I get too close to people with too much cologne, especially men's cologne.

Trackypup June 4th, 2011 01:10 PM

I had a bottle of perfume break in my luggage a few years ago now I'm extra careful. I have a sample set from Fragonard in France and a few large size Chanel Exclusive samples..all around the 5 Ml size, these are what I now pack for travelling with a few of those tiny department store samples.

Donna June 4th, 2011 08:43 PM

I just stick with the travel size or one that is almost empty and pack that in a zip lock, so far so good.

Trip June 4th, 2011 08:59 PM

An addendum to this thread..When I get magazine with the sniffy panels, I take the part of the ad that has the prices, so when I get to a port, I can compare with just a glance.

mlbray June 11th, 2011 10:18 PM

gas warfare?

Hi, as someone with allergies, I really wish people would not wear perfumes or colognes in closed spaces where someone could not avoid breathing them in - aircraft, theatre seats, etc. Please use restraintwhen applying. I can certainly appreciate the comment that scents should be only smelt by someone nuzzling you. Even the most beautiful scent can leave some of us gasping and sneezing. Stand downwind if possible. Marg

mazeke October 27th, 2011 06:34 PM

An Avon representative will usually have many different cologne samples on hand- the moistened small cloth wipe sealed in a small foil packet. Ask ahead of time and the representative can order a small box of the samples-but please don't expect these to be free- the representative has to pay for them also.