Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Beginner

Default Formal Night Dress

We will not be onboard until November but are curious about the dress on the formal night. Any comments? Thank you. KWT
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Formal Night Dress

Formal nights mean tuxs for the men and formal dresses for the women. Makes packing easy for the guys, but bulky for the ladies!
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Thulewx

On the Maiden Voyage of QM2 I was surprised that the percentage of men in Tuxes was quite high - I think at least 90%, with the rest in very nice dark suits or formal kilts. A lot of women's gowns were also very fancy.
Marc - easy packing? Five formal nights meant : Formal kilt and jacket + tux with top hat & tails + white dinner jacket + regular tux + sports coat + suit coat + pants + all the accessories+ all the shoes = one very full suitcase!
Not quite like a windjammer : 1 swim trunks, 2 t-shirts. period. ;-)
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Passenger

Well, I have my one black tux with a variety of bow ties, vests, and cumberbuns, and one pair of shoes. Yes, there is that pesty sport jacket for the casual nights, but still, while a guy can limit his formal wear and use the accessories to jazz it up, ladies must drag all those dresses no matter what!
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:23 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon
Default Re: Re: Formal Night Dress

Do they have tux rentals for young boys on the QM2? I have a 9-yr-old coming and would like to rent him a tux on board. Also, what would the cost be? Thanks!
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Thulewx

I don't remember seeing anyplace on board for tux rentals (for any age). You might be able to rent one locally before you go, but I'd check on the internet for a cheap one - maybe ebay. I got a Pierre Cardin tux jacket (with tails) for $39 - very good condition...
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,
There is a shop on board which offers rentals but I would expect it to be very expensive. I looked at some of the ties they had for sale $95.00 us for a tie!!!! I would check out the prices at your local rental place before you sail.
Bruce
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Judgie

Just got back from 11 miserable days on QM2 and didn't understand for one minute why a formal night is established. You put your tux on and take your lady in gown to dinner. Same room, same food, same service, same everything, so why the formal night. Why get dressed up with no place to go other than to the Ed Sullivan type Show in the Royal Court Theatre. Boring.
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Judgie,
Wow, I don't know if we were on the same ship or not. We had excellent service, and yes there were a few kinks that needed to be worked out. But I found that Cunard was taking all complaints seriously. After all it's a new ships and some things will take time to work themselves out.
After dinner the first night we spoke the supervisior in the dinning room and requested the portion size be increased and we didn't have worry about it again. Every night Valerie our supervisor came by our table to make sure we were happy.
I wound find it hard to describe the past 11 days are miserable. The entertainment in the Royal Court Theatre was on par with or just above other cruises.
Bruce
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:07 PM
EH

I would love it if "Judgie" would give some details on why the 11 days on QM2 was miserable. It might be helpful for us future voyagers.

Thanks
Old February 14th, 2004, 06:47 PM
First Mate

Sounds like Judgie would be miserable regardless of where he went - a 'T-shirt and jeans type' for all occassions!

Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:27 PM
tiderunner

Default Re: Re: Re: Formal Night Dress

As I read through these post I don't see entertainment excitment reports...and I ask exactly what is the evening entertainment? Is there a dance company, magic shows, comedians...something new each night? How about a night by night report by somebody that took their daily progam home. We know about the singer, the stars, lectures but need more.
Old March 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
john matthews

I am looking for 10 sets of ties and cumberbuns in a tropical theme for The Job,s Daughters organization. Thanks
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:10 PM
L. Bari

The formal nites in the main dining room are black tie (tuxedos and gowns). There is one "Black & White" formal nite. We went with another couple. Both men wore White dinner jackets / tuxedos. We dressed for dinner EVERY evening, just because it was fun.

Hope that answers your question.