Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM
First Mate

Default QM 2 at Brooklyn pier

Saw the news reports & pics of QM2 at new Bklyn pier. Anyone who was there could you give us your opinion of how the new facility compares to NYC madhouse?
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Passenger

Sailed out of Brooklyn on Saturday 15th. April. Expected it to be chaos, not only because it was the first sailing but also because there was an on-board gala event for all the NYC bigwigs, including the mayor. Also expected traffic jams for the same reason.

We were scheduled to check in at 1pm, but anticipating the above, we left W. 53rd. Street, Manhattan at ten minutes to eleven. Thanks to a lunatic cab driver, we were at the terminal by 11.20 and although there were some vehicles queueing, it was only for a few minutes.

There was a lot of milling around both inside and outside the terminal as people tried to separate celebrites from "only passengers", but we were checked in and on board by ten minutes to twelve.

The terminal is not as large as the sheds on the Hudson River, but is carpeted with comfortable seating. I'm not sure, though, if there is enough seating if the full compliment of the QM2 needed to be seated. Other than cold drinks machines, no refreshment facilites available, but the terminal is a vast improvement on the old one. It did strike me, though, that it is a very complicated road journey there and it wasn't brilliantly signposted. I was so glad that I had downloaded directions from the terminal website.

Paul