Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Queen Elizabeth Shipyard Visit.

About 10 weeks for her debut, we are going to Trieste, Italy, to see the Queen Elizabeth in the shipyard.

We will get a preview of this although we are told it is still largely a skeleton.

Standby for regular updates from CruiseMates about this historic visit. This is going to be a very special ship!
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Hi Paul,

Last weekend we received an application form from Cunard World Club to view the ship when she arrives in Southampton. So with a little luck, we will be able to follow up your report with pictures of the finished product early October.

We are already looking forward to seeing her,

Alan & Katrina

Next: Queen Elizabeth December 2014
Followed by: Minerva April 2015

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Hi alan and Katrina ...

Peter Knego was quite happy to hear from you.

We haver nothing to report yet as I spent all day yesterday traveling to Trieste - three plane changes (Phoenix -Chicago - Munich). I was exhausted and the only thing that makes that worse is when you do not sleep well the next night (and I didn't last night).

I am up early, but we will be going to the ship yard in a few hours so I will take plenty of pictures and report them here later today or tomorrow at the latest, depending on how the rest of the day goes.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Hi Paul, wow you get some brutal flights don't you!

I'm sure it will be worth the effort though, we're looking forward to hearing your thoughts & seeing your pictures.

Have a great time,

Alan & Katrina

PS thanks for remembering us to Peter.

History :
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Once again I have nothing to report because we went to the ship early this morning and spent four hours touring it, and then they took us to a castle for lunch and a visit. After a short break we all left for dinner at a beautiful winery north of Monfalcone, and dinner was SO delicious with the best Italian wines, but it was 55-minutes each way.

Now it is midnight here and I still have not had time to do this work. I have hundreds of pictures of the ship, but literally no time!

I will send them to you when I get home on Sunday or Monday, along with text and the highlights of the ship yard visit.

I just really want to say a big THANK YOU to the PR team and the executives of Cunard who have treated us all so well. We had a thorough tour of the ship and it was so enjoyable to see a beautiful ship like this still in progress.

This is going to be a beautiful ship with all of the best Cunard features plus a few additional features that take it to the next level. It is a delicious addition to the Cunard fleet that I am sure most people will find enjoyable, delectable and will swallow up the cruise offerings with gusto.

There is a new "3rd-class" the Britannia Veranda class with their own staterooms and their own dining room.

There is an amazing new addition to the drama offered onboard with a much bigger cast of characters and 5 brand new shows.

My pictures will tell the whole story, I just have to get them formated and uploaded online as I will do soon. These pictures are spectacular. I hope you enjoy them!
Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Beginner

In your latest e-mail you referred to 'her Royal Highness' -- I presume you mean Her Majesty The Queen, Elizabeth II. Only lesser royals are referred to as Royal Highnesses.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you, I didnt know that!

I googled her name and saw "Her Royal Highness"

It was funny, it turned out to be one of those phrases that the more you think about it the funnier it sounds.

Even taking away the obvious drug connotations - "her royal highness" sounds like someone sitting on a high chair, or it also sound it is referring to a certain body part.

I must say "Her majesty" sounds a lot better than "her royal highness"

Highness is just a funny title. How about "Her Royal Importanceness" or "Her Royal Presumptuousness"
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Default Your report & photos

Good morning Paul, and thank you for posting the report & a few photo's. We were quite surprised by what we saw, as the decor shown felt far closer to Queen Victoria than we had been led to expect from the press releases.

Only 9 weeks to go before we hopefully get to see the finished product here in Southampton. We'll try & take photo's from the same positions that you have, so that there are before & after images & you can better relate to the images.

Speak soon,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Passenger

Paul,

What happened to your article when it was picked up by Fox Business? There are so many errors in the Fox version (correct in the article on this site)!
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am not sure what you mean by errors. You mean factual errors or typos?

The Fox article was short and written the day I got back so I did not have the time or mental accuity to go into detail, plus I am limited to only a few hundred words. I thought it was brief, but I didnt think it was inaccurate.
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Here is my article. http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...eth-080510.cfm

The ship is the same floorplan as the Queen Victoria, but I would say the decor is a lot different. I think she looks beautiful. Akk of the Art Deco touches in the lighting and colors are a big difference I think.

However, the floor plan is indeed very similar, almost identical. But that is true of many, many ships.

At least the decor is different. If you look at Celebrity or Royal Caribbean ships the decor is identical on sister ships. Carnival Corp. ships do not do that. The superstructure is the same, but the decor is completely different.