Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2001, 11:17 PM
First Mate

Default Ryndam

Has anyone been on the Ryndam? We are looking at cabin 704 for their fall trip from San Diego to Rio. Looking for information on the wheelchair accessiblity of this cabin, and if you know if they will sleep 3 in there.

Also, any other information about this ship, including accessibility. Anyone know if they have the new tender device for wheelchairs that Holland America has advertised?
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2001, 02:25 PM
HannaS77

Default Re: Ryndam

While I have been on the Ryndam at least ten times I have not been in a "wheel chair accessible" stateroom even though I use a walker or wheel chair. According to the HAL brochure there are four outside stateroom at the front of the ship on the A deck(the lowest passenger deck). These are called triples have two lower beds that can be converted to one; a sofa that converts to a bed.
The location of these staterroms are convenient for elevators to the show lounge but a long distance from the main dining room and Lido restaurant elevators. On the lower promenade deck there are two staterooms with the same facilities as those on the A deck, both are outside, about mid ship.

I have no info on the latest in getting wheel chair passengers to be able to go on the tenders/. I will be on the Ryndam the week of April 7 and if you e-mail me at mors@aol.com I can further advise you what I learned whilst aboard ship..

I suggest you call Katy Ludwig, Special Requiriements Advisor for HAL at 1-800-541-1576 or e-Mail at kludwig@halw.com. You might ask her about showers. On the Ryndam the O/S staterooms have a shower/tub. The tub is so high that I have to use a stool that can be knocked down so as to fit in a suitcase that was made for me. The inside cabins have nice stall showers.

Trust I have been helpful.Incidentally HAL has a policy that they cannot guarantee you a courtesy wheel chair. They say they have a limited supply doled on the fist come first served basis so you might need to being your own. They also allege you can take their wheel chairs off the ship, which I never experienced in th past.
mors @aol.com
Old March 8th, 2001, 12:18 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately we were only able to book into 705 (forward on lowest deck) as all other wheelchair rooms were already booked. We are wait-listed for one on the higher deck. Are you saying that even the wheelchair cabins have no roll in showers? We were told that they did have roll in showers, so if this is not the case we may need to reconsider. I am glad that this room will take 3. It does not indicate this in their brochure or on their website, and this will save us having to book a second room and find a roommate for me. It is much easier for me to be "the attendant" when I stay in the same room with my folks.

We have our own wheelchairs (power and manual) as my mother has not been able to either stand or walk for many years. Our Quickie 2 manual chair has been on over 20 cruises. The policy on the use of ship wheelchairs on HAL is consistent with every cruise line we have ever used. I am continually amazed that people go on a cruise who need a wheelchair and plan to depend on the ship chairs. It is clearly stated in brochures that if you need a chair you need to bring your own. The ship chairs are usually cheap "clunker" chairs that are heavy and often have non-removable armrests and foot pedals, and often are either too big or too small for the person using them. A lightweight folding wheelchair is covered by virtually all insurances in this country...those who need one should get one that is appropriately fit to them and take it with them so they do not have to risk not having one available or having to use one that is too heavy and possibly unsafe.
Old March 8th, 2001, 12:21 PM
First Mate

Whoops...it is room 704, not 705 that we have booked.
Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:19 AM
First Mate

Wrote to the Special Services office at HAL and found them VERY helpful. Arranged to get photos of the bathroom e-mailed to me the next day. Here is one:

Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:23 AM
First Mate

Here is another one of the photos HAL sent to me: