Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2001, 01:50 AM
Beerman

Default dissappointed

After 11 cruises on two different cruiselines I still felt unfulfilled. When the opportunity came to cruise on a different one I was thrilled at being able to draw a more exact comparison. However, I was soon disappointed.
I had cruised on NCL and Carnival but wasexpecting far superior service, dining and entertainment. What a 'dash'! I wished I were on Carnival or NCL again.
Firstly, the food was no different except their desserts were dry. The cabin schematics were incorrectly given making it very hard for me and my handicapped companion to maneuvor in the room. If not having known I was on Princess Cruises I would have thought it were either of my other favs. as the service and entertainment were mirrored almost to the busboy.
With all the chatter of the supremicy of Princess I was very let down, but alas, my top 2 favs. still get highest billing.
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2001, 08:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: dissappointed

What ship were you on? You did not mention this in your post.
Old September 27th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Beerman

Hey KLD
I had mentioned it numberous times but I guess it slipped by.
It was the Sea Princess, sister to the Dawn Princess and Ocean Princess.
Old September 28th, 2001, 09:28 PM
Admiral

I hear staff "acts differently" during repositioning cruises.

So far - Princess has been our favorite.
Old September 30th, 2001, 12:23 PM
HannaS77

We were on the Sea Princess for 14 days, back to back cruise in Alaska. The food anmd service was excellent but the ship was not wheel chair friendly. This made it a cruise not worth writing home about. At least twice every day the room stewards carts
made it diffuclt to use a wheel chair in the passageways. The next obstacle was the unusual height of the fire door sills, acting like the bump you encounter on streets to slow down traffic. Finally, for the number of passengers aboard, the elevators are small(supposed to hold 12- i.e. twelve skinny midgets) and the only elevator that services the three dining areas is in the front of the ship. Tough job and time consuming to get on an elevator.The other two elevator banks can best be described as "elevators to no where." We have had four cruises on Carnival Elation and experienced none of the probolems encountered on the Sea Princess.
Old September 30th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Beerman

Hello Hanna

At last, someone I can relate to.
Very sorry to hear of the elevator mishaps. On every cruise I had been on there were always waits at the elevator, which were never that big. However, the Sea Princess was one of the better. I never did much care for restaurant dining and all our meals were either in the Horizon Buffet or the Pizzaria, which were directly above us, only 7 floors up. The elevator was a few paces down the hall from our room which was, by the way, cramped and inaccessible contrary to definition. That door lip into the washroom was a severe hazzard for my girlfriend. If not for the fact it was just a 3 day cruise I would have ordered the pool emptied for my partner to take a bath. As a result she just used the public facilities and towel bathed while watching T.V..
All the same getting around on the ship was the fastest for us as compared to say, the S.S. Norway. True, it was faster on Carnival but they cater to the younger crowd and at least at the beginning of the cruise most take the steps. It is only as the cruise wears on, girths expand, lounging sets in, and hangovers are a daily the stairs less used. The room steward carts were a nuisance but parked close to a widening of the hallway so could be moved to the expanse quickly, either by the steward, if within earshot or myself.
In all, pardoning the inconveniences, it was, as I expected, all I had expected, and less. If not for the bolstering of the ship by others my expectations would not have been dashed. It was, instead, just a normal, everyday FANTASTIC cruise.