Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2003, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Default Travelling with Syringes

Hi -

I'm about to start a new medication that needs to be i injected and kept refrigerated. How would I transport this - both on the airplane and the cruise? Do I need a doctor's note? Can it be in my carry on luggage? Is there some way (other than a big cooler) to keep it cold - but not frozen? Where do I store it on the ship? Will I have access to a sharps container? Sorry for all the questions - this is all sort of new and disconcerting.

Thanks - Karen
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2003, 01:44 PM
JohnT

Default Re: Travelling with Syringes

To carry your medicine and keep it cold visit a drug store and look in the diabetic supply section. There are diabetic supply organizers/carrying cases. Most come with a leak proof Gel pack that you can freeze the night before you travel. You can later get your cabin steward to freeze the pack the night before you leave the ship. To keep medicine cold on the ship you can either place it in your mini-bar or again talk to your cabin stewart - You should stress that the medicine should not be frozen. I have never seen a sharps container on a ship although the ship's hospital may have one. I suggest that you take an empty container like a peanut can and use it as your sharps container.
Old March 15th, 2003, 09:42 AM
CarolH

Default Re: Re: Travelling with Syringes

I'm also a diabetic. Once onboard just let your cabin steward know and they will supply you with a container for your used syringes while on board.
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:38 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Travelling with Syringes

Another option is to ask the ship's hospital to store the medication for you. Not all cabins have a refrigerator on all ships, and those that do not may require a rental fee for getting one in your cabin. You don't have to purchase medical type carrying devices. Many people we know use insulated lunch boxes with "blue ice" for transporting their injectable meds that must be refrigerated. The ship's hospital will be happy to dispose of any needles for you. Placing in an empty Coke can is also an option, but these still should not be placed in the regular trash.
Old April 18th, 2003, 03:29 PM
JudiM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Travelling with Syringes

Hi,

I flew with syringes last fall and the important thing to remember is to have the original presription label - not a note from the doctor. My syringes come prefilled in a box, so I cut off the prescription label and put it in my travel case. Fortunately a nice little travel case with gel pack came with my original prescription - unfortunately it only holds three syrninges. So I will be looking into the diabetic carring case too.

When I got to the airport I handed the package of syringes with prescription label to security and said it could not go through X-ray. They were very cooperative, hand examined it and no problem coming and going.

When I got to the ship (Celebrity) I did the same thing for security there no problem.

Celeb ships have minibars (Summit and Millie anyway that I know personally about) so no problem there. I just asked them to unlock and remove the stuff in there so I could put my meds in. When they saw it was syringes, they brought a sharps container on their own.

I am sailing on HAL next week and only suites have minibar/refrigs so I am renting one for $2 per day.

I am pretty new to this so you may want to either check with TA or Cruiseline to be find out about refrig.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions you can email me or check out the airlines website or TSA regulations.

Good Luck.

P.S. This time I not only have to deal with the syringes, but I have a titanium plate, nuts and bolts inside of me I can't wait to go through the detector - that should be fun!

Peace,
Judi
Old April 21st, 2003, 10:26 AM
Cheryl Myers

Default Re: Travelling with Syringes

hi karen. I have cystic fibrosis and have to keep both insulin and a nebulised drug cool during flying. The attached website do a material bag with balls in. when submerged in water (iced is the best) they swell and keep the contents of the bag cool for at least 2 days. The outside of the bag is not dripping wet......I got the large one, both insulin and more importantly chocolate can be kept in each day of you holiday whilst you are out and about in hot locations. Perhaps another use that the manufacturers don't mention is that you can use it as a cold compress for those hangovers ........two products for the price of one. I have had mine a couple of years now but I think it cost around 12. the site below is in America, http://www.frio.us.com