Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Beginner

Default Electric wheelchair access

I'm interested in taking a cruise on the Explorer of the Seas sometime during the summer of 2008. The cruise I'm interested in is 9 days and visits Kings Wharf, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan. What I would like to know is if someone in an electric wheelchair, like myself, would have access to any of the islands via a shuttle boat when the ship is docked at port? I have been on one cruise that went to Nassau where there was accessibility with the exception of a step exiting the boat but understand that most ports are inaccessible, especially Bermuda. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Yeoman

I have been to some of the ports you mentioned. Here is a link to handicapped accessible tours in St. Thomas: http://www.accessvi.com/
I have used a (reg) wheel chair in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Nassau & San Juan. I'm not sure what you are asking about but here is my observations about these ports.
If you want to tour the islands, St. Thomas is easy access. In Nassau, the side walks are narrow and not well maintained. In San Juan, alot of the sidewalks & streets are cobble stone or brick and it is a bumpy ride! St. Maarten you might find accessible bans.
I would suggest checking on private tours in these ports to see if you can secure accessible transportation. I usually start researching by going to each ports' tourism website. Then, contact different tour opperators and ask about this. If you have any specific questions about the ports I mentioned I have been to, please email me. I'll help if I can.
Karen
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Beginner

My wife uses a scooter and we had no trouble at St. Thomas & St. matin. San Juan is very well developed and I would be very surprised if you have a problem there.