Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2001, 06:17 PM
First Mate

Default Jan. 26 on Magic

We are taking our dream cruise on Jan. 26, 2001 on the Magic. At St. Thomas and St. Martan, we just want a great beach to swim in, without having to purchase costly excursions. Does anyone have any advise on what beaches to go to, and how to get there? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2001, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default Re: Jan. 26 on Magic

Kathy I will be there Jan 26 also with 8 year old daughter . I was there begin of Nov did a taxi to Red Hook Ferry to St John then a Taxi to Trunk Bay for about $20.00. On the way to Red Hook we stopped at Sapphire Bay looked Beautiful I may try there in Jan . Have you checked out the Destinations board here that may give you more info or even the other cruise board here RCI or carnival more people seem to answer those boards then here at Disney .

Try this web site for a ton of Disney info and a board that many people answer and usually very quick .
http://www.wdwinfo.com

Hope we have a great time .
Old December 2nd, 2001, 12:54 PM
First Mate

[http://www.wdwinfo.com]
I hope this will be a link . Sorry not too good with computers .
Old December 2nd, 2001, 01:16 PM
First Mate

Any suggestions for the best places for beginners to snorkel in either St. Thomas or St. John?

Reply To This Message
Re: Snorkeling
Author: Bill (64.69.125.---)
Date: 11-27-01 17:41

The obvious answer is Trunk Bay on St. John, but there are any number of alternative beaches that offer good snorkeling in St. John.
Just offshore from the port in St. Thomas is a small island called Buck Island. Many of the snorkel/sail excursions go there.
This is not the famous Buck Island Sanctuary which is off St Croix. The tours stop in one of two bays .In one there is good fish variety and wreck of an old powerboat, in the other the bottom is sandier and you see good fish variety and once in a while a sea turtle. Either make good first time snorkeling.
At trunk bay , if you go on your own you should find rental equipment, if you go on an excursion the tour operator usually provides equipment and instruction.
Enjoy , there is great beauty under the water.

Reply To This Message
Author: donna (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 11-27-01 19:49

Ho Lozzie,
For sure, I'd suggest Trunk Bay, they have a nice underwater snorkeling trail, telling you all the interesting info about what you are seeing, also a very beautiful beach, and have to agree with Bill, lots of beautiful things under the sea, have fun.
Also, be sure to purchase an underwater camera before you leave home, Wal-mart, K-mart carry them and you will save a lot of $ getting them before you leave.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host

Reply To This Message
Author: pamda (---.oaks1.pa.home.com)
Date: 11-28-01 09:33

Hi, Lozzie ...

I'll vote for Trunk Bay, too.

You're only a "beginner" at snorkeling for about 15 minutes.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor

Reply To This Message
Author: arthur (---.tnt7.norwalk.ct.da.uu.net)
Date: 11-28-01 10:04

went to trunk bay in oct. the snorkeling is best in am before all the tours show up.there is a nice underwater trail.

Reply To This Message
Author: Browezilla (---.tivoli.com)
Date: 11-28-01 12:36

If you don't want to make the trip to St. John, there are some excellent places on St. Thomas also. I like Secret Harbor (on the SE coast) and Saphire Bay/Cove/Beach. Each of these have good fish variety, you walk in from the beach, it's not deep, and I've frequently seen Iguagas on the beach too (or look up in the trees :-). Kinda neat. The biggest advantage is that they're close to the ship and there aren't a hoard of people there. Usually a $10-$15 taxi ride will get you there.

Reply To This Message
Author: 10X (---.mdmmi.voyager.net)
Date: 12-01-01 13:11

When we went to Trunk Bay the water was somewhat riled from a previous storm and the snorkeling was terrible. The land scenery is the best you'll find anywhere.

Coki Beach is another great spot for a beginner. They have lots of fish that will eat out of your hand, which can be great fun, especially if you have children. Dog food is sold on the beach to feed the fish. The beach can sometimes be crowded, depending on how many ships are in port. It costs about $7 to take a cab and there are always cabs waiting to take you back. Equipment and lockers are available on the beach.

The absolute best snorkeling is the Buck Island Sail and Snorkel excursion. However, you snorkel from a boat, not land. Getting in and out of the boat can sometimes be a pain. This might be a bit much for a beginner unless you're comfortable with the water. However, the variety of marine life is greater here than at either of the other sites.
Old December 15th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

We'll be on this same cruise !
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Meagan's Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. That
would be in St. Thomas. I've been to St. Maarten as well, but don't recall
the name of the beach we visited. Sorry about that one. Do go to Meagan
though, it is breathtaking...Susie