Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Deej

Default will DCL be lame for an 18 year old?

Hi, I have already been on a 7-day Disney cruise when I was sixteen, with my family. I loved the cruising experience - the pampering and relaxation and beautiful scenery. I definitely thought the teen programs were lame, but because I wasn't eighteen I couldn't participate in some other activities that interested me, though I did go to the cafe and adult pool, which were both supposed to be 18 and up.

Here's the thing - my family and I have decided to go on another cruise for my senior trip next summer, a year from now. I really wanted to go on an exotic trip to Europe but that doesn't make sense for my 14 and 8 year old brothers, and my mom really wanted to include the whole family. We have decided on the Disney Magic again - we are going to the Western Carribbean. I also get to bring at least one friend, maybe even two, so that will definitely make things more fun, especially once we get to Cozumel!

However, I am sort of having a little bit of doubt. It has been said several times on here that on Disney cruises, there are: a) kids b) married parents c) single parents and d) married couples. Not a lot of young singles in their late teens, early twenties. I know nothing about the adult programs on Disney cruises because I wasn't an adult last time, and I don't know if there is going to be anything fun for me and my friend(s) to do on the boat. Not that I don't enjoy just relaxing and swimming, but for my senior trip I am beginning to wonder if Disney is a bad choice. Its not that I am a big partier, but I am going to feel stupid if my friend(s) and I go to one of the clubs or something and it is either abandoned or populated by a bunch of 30+ couples.

Honestly, what do you all think? I'm not a "party pooper" - I know I will have a good time. But do you think I would be better off on a different cruise line? How much does Disney really have to offer to me, that isn't completely lame? I'd love to hear from 18-25 year olds, especially, or people who were that age when they went on the cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Julia Elzie

Default Re: will DCL be lame for an 18 year old?

Hi,

I am a travel agent, specializing in cruises, and I also do lots of Disney vacations, too. Disney cruises are so fabulous! Do NOT hesitate to go!

There is so much to do for everyone! You can go to the adults-only beach at Castaway Cay or go snorkeling or ride the Banana Boat or swim. They have tons of soft-adventure shore excursions in all of the ports that are great. They have new release movies every day, there is a dance club and dancing every night on the ships. Disney has one of the best cruise ship spas at sea - it is fabulous! You can take backstage tours of the various shows and see how they produce the shows. They have dances on the pool decks under the stars at night. The music is really good, too. The Disney ship staff, such as the performers and the other onboard activity staff are really accessible and available - you can find them relaxing around the ship.

Adults, even those without kids, really love going on Disney cruises. There is a ton of stuff to do - in fact, there isn't really enough time on the cruise to enjoy it all.

It is really like going to Disney World on a ship!

Have a magical day!
Julia
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Yeoman

Well, I'm a mom and we took our teens a few years back. They enjoyed the cruising part of it, but they weren't thrilled with the "Disney" thing and all the characters.
Personally, I think you guys would like The Mariner better on RCCI. They have ice skating, rock climbing, mini golf, inline skating....a teen club and one for younger kids. I think 18 is a harder age cuz you're too old for the younger kids clubs.
We went on the Mariner in Dec. and I think our kids would have loved it! We did the itinerary that included Cozumel as well.

Actually, if you went on another line, it's going to be cheaper for your parents as well. Disney is very expensive.

If your parents already booked it and they won't change their minds, then you'll still have a good time. They'll be many little kids on board as well!
Just think the Mariner would fit your needs a little more. Just my opinion though!
Any questions, feel free to email me and I'll help if i can. We've been on many Carnival cruise, The Mariner and Disney.
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM
Orca

I'm 22 and am a big Disney fanatic... so that makes a difference. I haven't been on Disney's cruise ships yet, but I've been told by folks my age who *have* gone that they had a wonderful time. I've also been told that despite the volume of kids on board, you don't really see them unless you go to the kid's pool or hang out on the deck where all the kids activities are.

I have cruised before once, on NCL's S/S Norway (which is currently retired) back in spring break of 2003. Now, I may be a college kid, but I don't really drink and there were A LOT of spring breakers on board that broke into the beer the moment they got on. I had my first encounter with a drunk on that ship, and it wasn't a neat experience - especially when none of the crew did anything about it despite the individual becoming a problem publically. Especially with the cheaper ships during the spring and summer months, you're going to encounter this.

Since I wasn't 21 at the time, I couldn't gamble... but that doesn't interest me, either. Waste of time and money, IMHO. There really wasn't much on board that interested me... while I'm not against a party, I don't really do dancing and night clubs, so I didn't go to those, either. Most of Carnival's and RCCL's ships push those as the biggest things.

We're currently looking at taking another cruise again for my college graduation, and in my research, Disney interests me more personally. I like the first-run movies and the insider tours more so than the night-life. I'm an Orlando local and have been going to WDW since I was in the womb, so I'm not turned off by 24/7 of Disney - and since most of the decor is traditional with only hidden-Mickey touches, I'm sure it won't be an issue for me or my (older) family.

Hope that helps ^^
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

This is truely the "gray area" for me too being 19. I would say go on Disney. I was on RCCL & the reaction towards any overage teens is very harsh & rude. So even if you wanted to go to the dances w/ the teens ect. on RCCL you have 0% chance unless you & your friends look as young as I do. On Disney they are very understanding of this age group even though the area is posted at 17(so is rccl) they usualy have no problem of you doing the activites as long as your not causeing general problems for the younger ones(ex swearing ect.) As for the 30ish couples you will have to deal w/ them equaly on both lines in the adult areas. There is no escape from haveing mostly this age group in those areas. I would say Disney alll the way I was VERY disapointed w/ rccl all around & will never go anywhere unless its w/ disney again!!! The rock wall,ice rink,mini golf are not worth it over disney TRUST ME!!! May I add that any other line than Disney has seemed "dirty & worn down" compared to DCL. Any other questions just e-mail me.