Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Captain

We are booked for Disney Magic (2008) and I am reading up. I dont have Passport cruise edition but I did take out some other books on Orlando and the Unofficial Walt Disney World 2007 book out of the library today.

We are staying there in less than 2 months and going to check out some of the Disney hotels if we can. Go to Earl of Sandwich and the Polynesian Resort on the Disney Property and maybe downtown Disney. I got a map in one of the books which is helpfull to try and picture where everything is.

Some people seem to like the split bathrooms in the cabins, though with just two of us I cant see that as a huge biggie. Im reading up on everything from the sideways cat 11s seeming to be larger that have a trunk to the upper categories. This one book also has a chapter on the cruise line Im taking to bed tonight to read. Is it worth it? I can hardly wait to find out. Luckily we dont gamble and like children. I also was a music major and love shows and hear Disney's musical shows are way more professionally done than other cruise lines.
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Captain

Howdy,
yes it is worth it!!!
We have done 14 Disney cruises so far with 3 more booked. The first week of this month we tried the Carnival Glory out of Port Canaveral.

What a mistake!!! After cruising with them I can see how much better Disney is and how Disney pampers you!!!!
Plus if you are active on the carnival ship and with excursions it will cost as much as Disney when you are done.
If you drink pop it is NOT feee on Carnival. Excursions are more expensive too. I fyou want an adult only dinner they do have a restaurant like Palos but it is $30 per person, much more than Disney.

Kids dont have much to do in the clubs and the clubs open which means kids fill all the pools which are small to begin with or pay money to do the arcade. Their shops are very expensive and no little things kids like to buy for souvenirs, only expensive gifts so it costs more. Photos are a lot more then Disney's photos too and so are the drinks.

By the time your cruise is over and the bills are added up, it cost as much as Disney unless you do nothing. Plus you dotn get the outstanding service and atmosphere Disney offers to their guests.
Carnival has so many rude Crew Memebers!!
I posted a report on this site called Disney verses carnival. I fyou read it there is acomparisson at the end that will give you an idea of just what you get for your money.

But for us we will stay with Disney,

Yes the shows on DCL are awesome!!! Way better than Carnival. No comparrison really.
Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to thisisthelife

I think that Disney is worth every penny and cant rave enough about it. I have been on carnival, rccl and Disney, Where Disney prevails is with the childrens programs and the dedication to the Family. They include alot of small things in there price that other cruiselines make you pay after you get on ship like mentioned above, the pop. Plus Disney staterooms are larger. If you are traveling with children you really dont have to worry about deck parties getting out of hand having a bunch of drunk people on board causing havoc, which adds to the overall experience of your cruise. Plus Castaway Cay is simply amazing. As long as I vacation with my children, I will pick Disney over any other cruiseline hands down. They do set the standard on service and do go out of there way to make your vacation "magical" and to me the memories of those trips are priceless.
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to oteixeira Send a message via Yahoo to oteixeira

Kathleen,

I have to ask, when did the pop become free? I sailed the Wonder in 2001, and it cost us $25 each for a silly plastic cup that you HAD to carry everywhere to get pop. BTW, this was for a 3 day cruise, I would hate to find out what it would cost for 7 or 14 back then.

Orlando

10/15/2001 - Disney Wonder
12/1/2007 - Grand Princess
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Captain

It became free about 2 years ago.

It is great because you can get it 24 hours a day, as much as you want. Plus coffee, tea, hot cocoa, milk, iced tea,

The free drink station is on deck 9 next to the Mickey pool area.

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old December 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Familiar Face

Kathleen,

Does this mean I need to go to deck 9 and then run back to the restaurant if I want free soda with dinner? Is it free everywhere, or just at the one station?

Orlando
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Captain

sorry I should of been more clear.

Pop is fee in all restaurants and at the drink station.

If you order it from a bar or lounge or waiter anywhere on the ship you will be charged for it.

If we want something to drink at the show or movies we simply get a cup from the drink station and take it with us so we dont have to pay for it by ordering it from a waiter.

hope that clears it up.

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old December 13th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Familiar Face

Kathleen,

Thanks so much for clearing it up for me.

Orlando
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Captain

Happy to help,

kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old December 14th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Beginner

Default Disney Magic

We just came back from a 7 day Eastern Cruise on the Disney Magic and this was our second cruise. We've done the NCL and by far Disney was much better overall. My kids ages 4 and 8 had a great time as well as us parents too. Honestly, didn't even bother to get off the ship other than Disney's Island.

The two bathrooms is a real plus with a family as well as the entertainment that they provide. The food is good, not great. But if you get a chance to go to Palo (the adult only resturant) it is GREAT!!!

So, having said that, I guess you just have to figure out if it all is worth the price. We've already booked our 3rd cruise and will be going on that in two year.
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Beginner

For this family, anything Disney done "Disney-right" is worth it! The cruise lines are done "Disney-right!"
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie
I have been trying to weigh the costs of the different lines and called Disney's 1-800 number to ask a couple questions. I asked what the differences are that justify the higher costs and the lady gave me the wierdest answer.

"She said that the other lines have a lot more ships to fill so they have to charge less." I don't care how many ships they have. I took this comment to mean that since disney has less ships they need to charge more in order to make more money.
Why is that difficult to understand? It's demand and supply

8)