Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Default Infant Advice? Disney Wonder 2/4/07

Well I don't expect my 8-month old baby girl to remember our brief four-night cruise, but then again that's not the point. It's tough finding a place to take a baby on vacation, but Disney Cruise Lines appear to be the one silver lining. And I'm sorry, I will not deny my family a warm-weather vacation for five years because of others opinions as to what is or is not socially acceptable. I will be neurotically cognizant of the baby's impact on others...in other words she won't be crying and ruining dinners, etc. for others! I wouldn't want that done to me!

I know it's a frequently asked question, but aside from the current postings does anyone have an recommendations as it relates to infant cruising (Other than don't take one!). I've been to Nassau before and I don't know if I'll even step off the boat with her there, but it would seem that a brief visit to Castaway would be ok.

Any pointers? Can you actually go to shows or events with the baby as long as you're willing to make a quick exodus if the crying starts?

For others in my situation, Here's what Disney had to say about their onboard accommodations for infants:

A copy of your baby's immunization records are not required to take her to Flounder's Reef Nursery. Please be assured, a crib has been requested for your stateroom. In addition, I have also requested a high chair in the dining room so your baby can eat in comfort. This will definitely make it easier for you and your wife. The cribs are GRACO Port-A-Cribs with dimensions of approximately 39.8" long, 28.25" wide and 31.25" high. There will be fitted sheets provided but no bumper pads. Diaper Genies are available on the ship and can be requested through your stateroom host/hostess or by calling Guest Services onboard.

In addition, please be aware baby food is not available for sale on the ship. However, most of the dining rooms and room service can prepare fresh pureed vegetables upon request. Huggies diapers are available for sale in Treasure Ketch. There are medium (16 - 28 lbs.) and large (22 - 37 lbs.).The diapers are available in packs of 12 and are approximately $6.00 per pack (subject to change).
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Captain

My kids are grown, but if they were little I would definatly take them on DCL!!! They may not remember how happy they were, but we would and we would have many pictures to prove it!!

You see many little ones on DCL. We just got back from the magic about 7 weeks ago and made friends with Lynn and her little boy who was only around 6 months at the time.
They had a blast and so did he. He lived the Mickey ear tha tis reserved to toddlers whoa re too young to be potty trained. Swim diapers are required.
Plus last October the Wonder had anew toddler play area out in near the mickey slide. I have only seen pictures of it, but it looked awesome!!
Kids just love it and have so much fun. So what if they cant remember it. They had a blast at the time and that is what matters.
We have taken grandkids as young as 18 months before and they were smiling from the moment they woke up until they fell asleep at dinner.

when my kids were young I always figured I would be doing laundry, diapers, bottles, bathes etc... at home anyway, so why not on vacation. At least on a cruise someone else is cooking and cleaning for me.

Yes you can take your child to the shows, this is disney, there will be a hundred or more kids in there every night!! Once the show starts even the youngest seem to be fascinated with the lights and music. Go, enjoy an ddont worry about others there. If having kids make a little noise during a show bothers them, then they have taken the wrong cruise!!!

Sometimes they offer a matinee at 2:30 in the afternoon you may choose to go to. It is the exact show, they leave nothing out but it is less crowded so that may be easier for you.

Flounders nursery is very nice, clean and good counselors if you choose to use it sometime. It is reservation only, $6 per hour, 2 hour minimum. There is a 2 way mirror you can check on your child and they wont know your there and they will give you a beeper so if they need you, they can contact you ASAP. Just in case you might want a quiet dinner one evening.

Take an umbrella type stroller and it will fit in all around the ship so if your child is napping you can till go out and sit on deck. Deck 4 has padded lounge chairs and is pretty quiet. People often nap there or read books or walk kids in strollers around the deck until they fall asleep then sit and relax. Deck 7 aft has a secret deck that is very quiet and perfect to relax while baby sleeps. Most people dont even know it is there.

This is your family and vacation, kids are what disney is all about, so I ay have a magical cruise!! If I can help answer any questions please ask and I will try and help.
we have done 13 DCL crusies so far and 3 more booked.

DCL is for kids of all ages!!
bring the sunblock!!

P.S. your waiter will puree any food they have if you ask at dinner. They are very helpful. No microwave on board so if you have a food warmer or bottle warmer, you should bring it with you. They can get you hot water if you need it.

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks Kathleen!

Kathleen,

Thanks for the detailed reply, it's quite appreciated! I do have a couple of other quick questions for a pro like you!

1) Any chance of getting a small refrigerator for breast-milk or will it take up too much room.
2) Being anal-retentive and an "ironing" freak, I'm wondering if the onboard pressing service is pretty quick and reasonably priced?
3) Have you ever gotten a port-side upgrade? I know they're not going to do it for free, but I have heard it's relatively discounted if you purchase an upgrade at boarding...if it's available. Have you heard any success stories?

Thanks again, you've put my mind at ease!
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Captain

Hi,
there is a small cooler in every room. They call it a mini frig. But to me it is cool, but not cold. so I dont think of it as a frig. It may be cool enough for your milk, not sure. For baby food and medicines they do allow soft sided coolers that your room host will bring you ice for if you ask.

That may be an option, I hsve read of others who ask for an ice bucket of ice from the room host and then put their item into the ice to keep cool or set it inside the cooler to keep it extra cool ad place their bottles next to the bucket. Some buckets may be too big to fit, so a plastic container from home to hold ice may be a good idea, just in case. Hopefully the cooler will be cool enough, but you may want to bring a container just in case.

I have never used the laundry service. They have a free iron in the laundry rooms which I always use.
But my daughter had clothes sent out the first day, right after she unpacked them, she just gave them to the room host to take care of. They were back in about 4 hours because they wernt busy yet. I dont know what it cost, but she did say it was very reasonable and with great results.

I know 3 families who upgraded at the port at checkin, but it wasnt discounted much at all. They did it anyway because they wanted the different room anyway. I think the time of the year may have something to do with the prices.
Sometimes there arnt any left if it's a full ship. Best chance for an upgrade would be winter months, not at the holidays.

We had one once for free, but it wasnt at the port. We had booked a guaranteed room and then just before we sailed they called and gave us an upgrade to a nice verandah for the same price. Dont know why.
A guaranteed room doesnt mean you will get an upgrade, it just means your guaranteed to have a room at the category you booked or better. But it seems upgrades do happen more often that way.

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can I ask a question:

Did you have to pay full price to take your infant? We contimplated taking ours but couldn't see paying full fare for her at 7 months old.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Children of any age is charged. They will be charged the 3rd/4th person charge which is generally less expensive than the first two people in the room but you are still looking at several hundred dollars.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
2004 Carnival Inspiration
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Beginner

Actually on DCL, you only have to pay port charges for kids under 3. Our baby has sailed on DCL at age 4 months, on Celebrity at age 13 months and DCL at age 18 months.

He LOVE Flounders, the nursery on DCL. They were very attentive. He is sailing again at age 22 months on DCL.