Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Embarkation/Debarkation Ports
Register Forgot Password?

Embarkation/Debarkation Ports Discuss pre/post cruise planning & sightseeing in various port cities.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Passenger

Default philadelphia do's and don'ts

We are sailing out of Philadelphia in October on NCL and would like to know how safe the city is. I live near Houston so I know that you need to be vigilant but how much so?? We are staying at the Embassy Suites so I hope that's a safe area. Would like to see the Liberty Bell. Is there a trolley system or something that makes getting around easy? How bout some good resturants? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default Philly

I sailed out of Philly several years ago on Carnival. It was super easy getting on and off. My dad had no trouble picking us up at the pier. As to the area where the Embassy Suites are? I'm not sure which one you are staying at. If its the airport, it's kind of far from Center City and the Liberty Bell. You can take the Septa train from the airport into the city. If the Embassy Suites is in Center City, the front desk of the hotel should be able to tell you where the nearest Phlash stop is. It is a purple bus that runs in a continuous loop around the popular tourist areas. I think it is $5 for an unlimited pass. You can check it out at www.septa.org or www.gophilly.com. I don't think safety is a problem, I've lived in or near Philly my entire life and I've never been afraid. I'm sure if you take the same precautions that you take at home in Houston you should be fine. Hope this helps a little!

Jen
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...hillyGuide.cfm

Please check out the pre-cruise guide to Philly here!
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Passenger

Philadelphia is a wonderful city. It is safe around the touristy areas just don't leave you wallet or purse flashing around like in most major cities. Try lunch at the Reading Terminal Market near 10th and Market it is a great experience. Go Phillies!!!
Crown Princess - October 2007
Carnival Glory - June 2008
Emerald Princess - September 2009
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:04 AM
Passenger

Another restaurant suggestion is the City Tavern
http://www.citytavern.com/history.html
It has been in operation since 1773 and serves colonial american food. The history of the restaurant is spectacular.
Reservations are suggested.
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Umbrella - that sounds so cool. i wish I could go there.
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickie19020
You can check it out at www.septa.org or www.gophilly.com. I don't think safety is a problem, I've lived in or near Philly my entire life and I've never been afraid. I'm sure if you take the same precautions that you take at home in Houston you should be fine. Hope this helps a little!
I live in Philly and have lived here all of my life. As long as you stay in the tourist areas, you should be fine. True, Philly has crime, but what large city doesn't? You just keep your eyes open and watch your back, as I am sure you do anyway in your home town. FWIW, I use SEPTA entirely. I don't drive. I also work night work and routinely take buses and trains to and from work. My work is not in the tourist areas, but rather in a more declining sort of area, and I have had very few problems.

Philadelphia is a city rich in history. There is also a lot to see and do here. The Constitution Center, Franklin Institute, Art Museum ... these are just a few of the neat places to visit if you have the time. Then there's Independence Hall, Betsy Ross' House, City Hall ... for a few more ideas. All of these places are in reasonably close proximity to one another. A SEPTA bus can get you to all of them. You might want to consider buying a day pass, which will let you hop on and off any bus route (or SEPTA train, el or subway) all you want.

Depending on the weather, another neat thing to do is head down to Penn's Landing. There are all sorts of bars and other eateries down there, and in the warmer weather they all offer outdoor seating. One of my favorite restaurants down there (though I haven't been there in years) is the Chart House. It's located right on the water, so if you get a nice table by the window, you can dine while looking out on the Delaware River. There's also boats that take tourists on an evening cruise on the river, as well as the "Spirit of Philadelphia" which offers both dinner and "cocktail" cruises on the river. The later evening cruises, I believe, are only offered on the weekends, though.

Yes, Philly is a wonderful city, and while we certainly do have our share of crime, I don't think we're any worse than any other large metropolitan city. There's a lot to see and do here, and to be honest, it would probably take a week to do it all. And, the things I mention here are only the things in the city proper. There's a whole lot more if you venture into the outlying suburbs.

Of course, living here, it's been years since I've done much of these things. Sadly, when you live somewhere, you are usually the last person to avail yourself of everything that there is to see and do. But it's funny ... a niece and I were talking towards the end of last year, and we were saying that maybe when the weather breaks this spring, we should spend a few days in a hotel in center city and just play "tourist" ... going to see all this neat stuff that others specifically come to our city to see. And, you know what, we just might do it!

Blue skies and enjoy your trip to Philadelphia ... the city that loves you back!

--rita
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Passenger

The last time I was at the City Tavern. We got the upstairs room where the founding fathers went to have a cocktail after signing the Declartion of Independence. I was sorta their hangout.