CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Embarkation/Debarkation Ports (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/embarkation-debarkation-ports/)
-   -   Fort Lauderdale Hotels (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/embarkation-debarkation-ports/385606-fort-lauderdale-hotels.html)

61maris61 October 21st, 2011 10:12 PM

Fort Lauderdale Hotels

Right now we're leaning heavily towards Embassy Suites on 17th St. Its not the greatest price, but through our cruise line it will include transfers from the airport and to the port. Also, a Happy Hour is provided in the evening (a chance to meet fellow cruisers?), and an above average hotel breakfast is offered.

I know I could come up with a better price, but I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions. Thanks in advance.

PS: Mid-January cruise, in case that matters.

Trip October 21st, 2011 10:44 PM

I have not stayed there, but I always stay in that area,and love the convenience. Harbor Shops is right there to dine or, grab any last minute needs. I know people who have stayed there and had no complaints.

I would not base my stay there, thinking you might meet cruisers, as I would think, other things may be on peoples agenda..but that's just my thought on that.

If you go through priceline and enter 4 star downtown, you will get a hotel you will enjoy, in that area, and more then likely at a better price. I stayed at the Renaissance going through them, and, was satisfied enough to try it again,and won my bid again.

If you are not thrilled with the price..keep looking, but quickly:)

Kuki October 22nd, 2011 12:54 AM

I love the Embassy Suites. I think it was about 4 yrs ago they did update the rooms in that location, so they should still be in reasonable condition.

The hotel is in an excellent location, with plenty of restaurants, shopping etc. in close proximity.

With your reservation request a room on a higher floor, on the south side of the building and you'll be able to wake to views of the ship's in port.

Manuel October 22nd, 2011 10:29 AM

The Rodeway Inn is quite nice and they have complementary shuttles and a nice breakfast.
For tose who drive in they have free parking while you cruise.

TM

61maris61 October 22nd, 2011 02:09 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the responses thus far, and thanks Kuki for the higher floor tip. ES actually advertises their Happy Hour (free drinks & hors d'ouerves) as a place to meet your fellow cruisers.

Last January we cruised out of Miami and stayed at a Residence Inn; met several people from our cruise, and others who were cruising different lines.

PS: Flying in, so park/cruise packages don't help this time, but they might come in handy for future cruises.

Golden1 November 8th, 2011 11:49 AM

I personally like The Yankee Clipper Sheraton Hotel which is very close to the Port over the bridge and right on the beach. I am not sure about transfers or what the rate would be in January.

Trip November 8th, 2011 11:57 AM

January is highseason....gotta work to get a good rate.:|

LisaK November 8th, 2011 01:16 PM

We love the Embassy Suites, the rooms can sleep 4 very comfortably, and there is a separation between sleeping areas. The Happy Hour is very nice, the breakfast is very good, love the pool area, and its within walking distance to grocery store, strip mall and some very good restaurants. FYI, as Trip mentioned, January is HIGH season, book now, and when you check in make sure you reserve your place on the shuttle to the pier, they fill up fast.

61maris61 November 8th, 2011 03:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. We're all set with ES, even though we could've done better price-wise I'm sure.

The Yankee Clipper: I remember reading posts about that several years back and thought it was very run down. Has it been remodeled? If memory serves me correctly, it wasn't a "name" property, so perhaps Sheraton took it over?

PS: I'm the adventurous type who's always wanted to try a bid on Priceline. Unfortunately, DW is not!

Trip November 8th, 2011 03:35 PM

The good thing in Fll is, that when you bid 4 star,downtown, you win no matter what you get.

Canadianmom5 November 26th, 2011 05:00 PM

ADVICE PLEASE
Family of 5 (7,5 and 3-year-old) plus Grandma leaving on LOTS Jan. 16, 2011. Looking for ideas for hotel on/near beach and close to port. Not planning on renting a car so would like the beach/pool to entertain kids from Jan. 14 (when we fly in) to 16th. Recommendations on transportation to port also appreciated (2 taxis - we are taking car seats for post-cruise stay with Grandma - versus car service versus other). One room or two is fine. Thanks in advance.

Trip November 26th, 2011 05:11 PM

If you look at the Bahia Mar, there is a cross over, over the street, to the beach...Also, aI believe the Yankee Clipper has beachfront. These are both on A1A, close to the pier.

Taxi's I think, will be the most econonomical for your family..Call www.SASRides.com to get a quote frrm them as well.

Canadianmom5 November 26th, 2011 08:10 PM

Thank you for your advice!

Lakers Fan November 26th, 2011 09:32 PM

I highly recommend The Rodeway Inn.