Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2001, 09:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Med Tour Advice?

Hi Everyone!

We are going on the RCL's Legend of the Seas (Best of the Meditteranean) in October. Goes to Venice, Rome, Livorno, Messina, etc. I was hoping to get some advice on the shore excursions ...

My fiancee is disabled. I was looking over the materials from RCL and I believe that the shore excursions won't be a problem as far as distance/steps etc. - he doesn't have a problem there. The only problem is that b/c of his disability he has to walk slower than most people.

Has anyone had any experience with RCL's shore excursions in Rome, Venice, Florence, etc.? We really want to take some of the tours (of course the ones marked strenuous look the best to us!), but we don't want to annoy people by walking slowly or be in an awkward situation.

Any advice would be appreciated! (Has anyone been on this cruise and can give us recommendations as far as which tours to take or avoid? We're blowing our budget on this trip, so we want to choose wisely!)

Thanks ...

Kate
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2001, 12:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Med Tour Advice?

Just returned from Princess Med. cruise. I also have problems walking. We opted for half day tours, also the morning ones, as we realized we could not possibly see everything and didn't want to kill ourselves. Also dreadfully hot, high 90's and 100% humidity. Enjoyed ship in afternoons. Venice is the real killer. It is so beautiful, with no automobiles and all the boat traffic of every type, BUT for every one of those picturesque little canals, there is a picturesque little bridge that requires 10 to 20 steps up and same number down. I had swelling in ankles and feet and they looked like a 3rd degree sunburn; went to ship Dr. and waitig room was full of others with same problem. Some was sunburn (I wore capri pants) but swelling and heat caused capiliaries in legs to burst. Took a week for it to clear up. Florence is all walking - no vehicles in town center; also lines very long. Pompei also difficult walking but worth it. Only made it half way up to Acropolis, but later heard it was no more difficult than Pompei. TAKE BRIMMED HAT!!!! Pisa is one of the most pleasant surprises -- more impressive than you expect from pictures and especially the adjoining cathedral and bapistry bldgs. you don't hear about.
Old July 24th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Laurell J. Farinon

Dear Kate-
I recently cruised on RCL's Grandeur of the Seas on May 19. I did quite a bit of research trying to find private tour guides at our ports (Villefranche, Livorno, Pisa, Naples, Malta). My husband is a diabetic with foot problems and has trouble walking long distances.

I can tell you that I was thrilled that we booked private tours. In just about every instance it was cheaper than RCL's tours, and we had a private tour guide and car. We were able to get much closer to the sites than a tour bus could - it cut the walking way down. I heard many people complaining over dinner about having trouble getting up and down from bus and amount of walking. So consider a private tour guide - you won't regret it.
Old August 5th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Kate,

On most tours that entail "moderate" walking, the guides do move along at a moderate clip. It seems that there are inevitably a few people who can't keep up. When the guide stops to explain something, they usually catch up to the group at the end of the explanation. This really is not fair either to the guide or to the other participants in such a tour, and I also doubt that you and your fiance really would enjoy such an experience.

In most European ports, Princess offers tours that have minimal walking and very few steps -- and Royal Caribbean International probably offers similar tours. These tours would be ideal for somebody in your circumstances. They often have names such as "Easy Tour of..." or "Leisurely Tour of..." (fill in the name of the city). These tours attempt to capture as much as possible within the constaints of those to whom they are geared. In Athens, for example, no vehicles are allowed on the Acropolis itself so the "Leisurely Tour" drives to a viewpoint on an adjacent hill where you can see the Acropolis clearly while the guide explains what you are seeing -- thus sparing the difficulty of walking up a long flight of stairs to reach the top of the acropolis. You and your fiance probably would gain a lot more enjoyment from such tours than from a "normal" tour on which you can't keep up with the group and thus miss most of the explanations.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old August 6th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Dolores

Hi Norm:
You seem to be very knowledgeable about cruises and ports!
Do you have any advice/suggestions for a tour company that can take me and my husband from Naples to Amalfi...

We are on the Millie 8/23 cruise, Barcelona to Istanbul.
We've got plans for all the tour stops, EXCEPT Naples.

Instead of touring Naples and Capri, we'd like to tour Amalfi (Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi) w/ a reliable tour company.

I've surfed around and could not find a company that would take us from Naples to Amalfi...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Old August 10th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Dolores,

I have never attempted to book local tours on my own, so I have no idea what private tour operators might offer such a tour or how much they might charge or how reputable they might be.

On my only visit to Naples (aboard MV Grand Princess in October of 1999), I took the tour to Capri from the ship and fell in love with a jewel of an island where life seems to flow at a slower and more carefree pace. If you never have visited Capri and Anacapri, I can only tell you that the full day tour, which includes lunch and time for shopping in the town of Capri, is well worth your while.

As to a tour of the Amalfi Coast, I would go with the tour offered by the ship. If I remember correctly, there usually is one. There are several advantages to taking a tour offered by the ship rather than trying to book a tour on your own.

>> 1. Tours arranged by the ship leave directly from the pier. If you book a tour on your own, you are responsible for your own transportation to and from the tour's meeting and return point. Depending upon the arrangements in each port, taxi fares to get to and from the tour might cost considerably more than any difference in fares.

>> 2. The major cruise lines do investigate local tour operators in each port of call, so you can be sure that the operators selected by the cruise lines are reputable. They will provide safe, clean, and comfortable transportation, knowledgeable guides who are reasonably fluent in English, etc. Other operators might not be so reputable -- and it's often difficult to find out for sure in advance.

>> 3. The cruise ships monitor their tour groups. If any tour group is late returning due to traffic, breakdown, or any other unforeseen circumstance, the ship will await its return or otherwise arrange to return the affected passengers to the ship. If you arrange a tour on your own, the ship won't wait for you.

Anyway, best of luck whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old August 10th, 2001, 10:39 PM
weezie

Could you share the names/contact info re private tours you used in various med ports? Thanks. We are taking a 10 day cruise there next fall.
Old February 11th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Passenger

Hi,
My wife and I and another couple are going to the Med for a 10 day cruise on the golden princess. Venice to Barcelona, Naples, Monte Carlo,Rome Athens Valletta. I read your remarks about tour guides (private) can you tell me how you found them and the costs so we can have an idea.

Thanks
Roger
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:13 AM
Mike driscoll

Default Re: Re: Med Tour Advice?

Contact Gerardo at WalkAmalfi@hotmail.com
Old November 5th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Passenger

we used Gerardo at walkamalfi@hotmailcom when we visited Ravello (we actually got talking to him in a restaurant we were taken to & he took us on a walking tour to the Torre dello Ziro high above Amalfi) Check out WWW.ristorantesangiovanni.com
it has a fantastic view across to Ravello.
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Beginner

We had a private guide in the Naples port as well as Rome and Athens. Mario, the guide in Naples was absolutely wonderful. The website is www.sorrentolimo.com. I think it cost around 350 euros last September. He even took us to his own farm/vineyard in Amalfi where we met his family. Then he took us to Pompeii which is an absolute must.

In Rome we used www.maxleotta.com. We really loved Rome and got to see so much. I think that tour cost was 450 euros for the two of us. If you have 4, it cost 500 euros.

In Athens we used George the Famous Taxi Driver. Actually, we had Thomas as a guide and he was great too. We went to the Temple of Poisedon first and then back to Athens for the usual and to the Placa for lunch and shopping. His site is greektaxi@aol.com. We paid $280 for a full day. He will also go by the hour. Last year it was $28/hour and he took US cash.

Hope this helps. These prices were for just the 2 of us. They go down if you wish to share your tour with others.

I hope you have as great a time as we did and that it's a little cooler. 103 degrees at the Acropolis is brutal.

We're doing the Baltic this year. WWatch us freeze.
Old January 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Passenger

I will throw in my 2 cents. For Naples/Sorrento/Pompeii/Amafia Coast my group has found a highly recommended and very reasonable (pricewise) private driver/tour guide.

His name is Marcello Marseca. His website is www.seesorrento.com. Admittedly, we have not gone yet, but I have corresponded with him several times and read highly complementry reports on the message boards. I am very confident my group is in for a great experience.

Enjoy!
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Mike Driscoll

Our group used Gerardo of walkamalfi for our tour of Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.We visited Ravello,Positano,Amalfi and spent over 2 hours at Pompeii. We have used ships tours in the past,but the Amalfi Coast is not the place to be on a tour bus.
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:34 PM
claudia

You may find that taking private tours with just the 2 of you or perhaps another couple ( to share the cost) will work out much better for you. Besides the fact that you will not have to worry about "the group" you will see more, at your own pace. Either hire them online in advance or grab a taxi at the pier..
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:35 PM
claudia

What ports are you going to and can give you some names..
Old February 16th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Richard Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Wong

Do any of the Amalfi tour guides provide a guided tour of Pompeii, or do you have to hire a "local" one to walk you through the ruins? If so, is this included in the price of your full-day tour, or is it an additional fee you pay when you arrive at Pompeii?
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Passenger

Our arrangement with Marcello Marseca is for 400 euros for our group of six plus and additional 100 for a local guide for a 2 hour Pompeii tour. Split six ways, we feel those prices are acceptable.
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Passenger

Hi Richard,

Only authorised archaeological guides are supposed to operate within the confines of Pompeii and most private drivers will have contacts in one of the three main Pompeii guide companies. You will find authorised guides outside Pompeii( as well as many unauthorised ones !) who will work for ASSO,CAST or GATA. DriveAmalfi have contacts at Pompeii that you might wish to use and you can contact them at driveamalfi@hotmail.com

Mike
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:47 AM
cruisersdm

Default Re: Re: Re: Med Tour Advice?

We're going to Rome, Capri, Naxos, Sicily , Dubrovnik and Venice on Sept. 13, 2004. If you can give me some advise on tours and drivers I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.