Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2003, 04:42 PM
Xoe

Default Med dock locations

I'm a hiker and prefer to explore ports that way. Can you tell me, or tell me how to find out, from which of these cruise ship port docks I can walk off the ship and be near the sights/sites I'll want to see? I prefer not to take ship shore excursions if I can go on my own.
Dubrovnik, Corfu, Valletta Malta, Palermo Sicily, Mahon Spain, St. Tropez France, & Sete France.

I'll be on HA's Noordam.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2003, 01:23 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Med dock locations

See my response on Mediterranean Cruise thread re Valletta, Mahon, Sete and Barcelona.
Old September 8th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Captain

Hi Xoe,

We took a cab in Valletta, Malta because we wanted to visit Mosta and Mdina, so I can't help there. For St. Tropez, you will have a great time hiking up to the fort at the top of the village (it's pretty small) for great views down on your ship and the town. Also, walking around the old town is great. In Sicily, we went to Taormina, and I highly recommend that if you haven't been there, but I don't know how to hike there.

Have a great time.

Donna
Old September 9th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,
I Just retunred from a Royal Olympic cruise that included stops at Corfu and Dubrovnick.
In Corfu you will be able to walk off the ship and into the centre of the city. It will take about 5 mins to walk. The port can be very busy depending upon the number of ferries scheduled that day. I found the city can be very difficult to navigate because of the narrow streets that twist and turn.
In Dubrovnick you might be docked at the cruise ship port which is a about a 10 minute ride into the old city of Dubrovnick, or you could be anchored just outside of the old city and tendered. The old city is wonderful and it's really a must see. I found it was very easy to navigate and for about 5.00 (euros) you can walk on top of the walls surrounding old city.
Enjoy
Bruce