Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Passenger

Default Are we out of our minds?!

We are considering cruising Europe with our 2-year old. We've done three with her already which went well. These were Bermuda, Bahamas and Caribbean. We know how she'll behave on the plane, in the dining room, on tours, etc. That's not really our concern. We're more preoccupied with fellow passengers. Are there normally children that young on European cruises? Will we totally feel out of place? Was not a probelm on the previous one, quite the contrary. Just wondering given Europre typically caters to an older clientele. Thanks! Nicolas
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:03 PM
jdell

Default Re: Are we out of our minds?!

I'm curious to see responses on this since I'm taking my 6 & 9 year olds on the QM2 to the Mediterranean this summer!

A number of the cruise lines with itineraries in Europe (including Cunard) have nurseries and child care programs so I am sure that is based on demand.

Most posts I've seen on message boards re: kids and Europe is that it may be more difficult in the ports where seeing the sights of the cities would be more the issue.
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Are we out of our minds?!

I didn't realize Cunard had nurseries. Could be an option then. Thanks. NP
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cunard nurseries.

I've been on QE2 and QM2 and from what I've seen, I give them 10/10 for looking after kids.

QE2 - They have plenty of staff who really keep the kids entertained. I saw the staff 'streaming' kids based on age and 'Who wants to do........?'. They were excellent at it. I could see by the kids faces that they were having a great time.

QM2 - The Play Zone is well located on the aft deck with a seperate 'Minnows' pool. There was a nursery and I saw quite a few kids - as young as 18 months - and no problem at all.

We're just about to have our first child, which means we have to take a break from cruising, but once it's 2 years old we'll be more than happy to take them along on QE2 or QM2. Haven't decided which yet...... depends on cruise calender.

Re. Will you look out of place? We saw kids on World cruise, transatlantic and QM2 maiden. I think you'll be in a minority but, does that matter? Nope :o)

Pete
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Passenger

Thanks Pete. We have sailed with our daughter before but always in the southern islands where kids abound. She was 7 months the first time, 10 the second and 17 the last. A breeze each time. I was puzzled about Europe because of the typical clientele but your message reassures me. We wil consider it seriously. NP
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Passenger

There were two families with children two and under on the cruise we went on two years ago. Didn't seem to be a problem
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Captain

I don't think you'll see a lot of children on your cruise.

We decided a long time ago that if our two alternatives are to stay home or take the little ones (trip is too long to leave them or whatever), we're going to go, and we'll just figure out the rest.

Hope you have a great trip.

Donna
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Passenger

I have a cruise booked on Oceania cruiseline to Europe this summer, with 3 young teens. I'm concerned that they will be bored on this line. I know it is geared for older adults, but they have never been ones to participate much in the kids activities in the past. Has anyone taken young teens on Oceania to Europe? I'm not expecting alot of accomodation, I'm just wondering if I'm crazy to take them on that line. We have traveled on Celebrity, which I am imagining is somewhat along the same lines, and they were fine with that.
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Carin

We just booked our first cruise for my husband, my 14-month son and myself for a northern european cruise--HAL on the Westerdam. Obviously, we plan to go at a slower pace than maybe we would have by ourselves, but honestly never looked at cruises pre-child. We are looking forward to wide-array of destinations and not having to pack and unpack as major advantages. The main part of my trip that I am fearing is the long flight.
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Passenger

Hi Momof4,

I was on the Regatta last August and there were a few very bored young (10-14) children aboard on the Baltic Cruise. I have been on Celebrity also and I would strongly suggest you really rethink taking your teenage children on the Oceania cruise line. Besides running up and down the stairs and going up and down the elevator, there was nothing for them to do. Celebrity has to be a much better place for teenagers. I was just on a South American cruise and the kids had a lot to do. We take our teenage grandchildren on cruises and trips and would NEVER take them on the Oceania. Maybe, someone else could fill you in otherwise, but I suggest you go to the Yahoo board to find the thread about the ships NOT being child friendly.