CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   European & Mediterranean Destinations (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/)
-   -   Le Havre to Bayeux, Caen or Honfleur or elsewhere (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/european-mediterranean-destinations/253847-le-havre-bayeux-caen-honfleur-elsewhere.html)

Pie April 3rd, 2004 07:19 PM

Le Havre to Bayeux, Caen or Honfleur or elsewhere

Any help/advice you can give me would be much appreciated! We've decided not to go to Paris (would love to go but the 6-hour drive to have 4 hours there seems like too much for me. We'd like to avoid the ship excursions in order to cut costs. Can anyone tell me about how to get to Bayeux, Caen, Rouen, Deauville, Treauville or Honfluer by train or bus? If so, how do you get to the station? We are able to walk several miles. How long are the trips? How much French language do you need to navigate this process?

Also, if you have other recommendations on places we could go on our own from Le Havre - that would be lovely!

Thanks!

Post Edited (04-03-04 19:29)

Mary Ann April 4th, 2004 05:01 PM

Re: Le Havre to Bayeux, Caen or Honfleur or elsewhere

Two years ago 4 of us took a cab from the train sstation to Honfleur. It is a wonderful little town. One person spoken broken French and we got along ok. The cab driver waited while we looked around and had lunch. The train station is just a few blocks from the pier. Have also used trains in France and they are easy to navigate. You can get around even if you don't speak French, Hope this helps

Pie April 4th, 2004 07:58 PM

Thanks!

luv2cruise April 5th, 2004 09:15 AM

Re: Re: Le Havre to Bayeux, Caen or Honfleur or elsewhere

Hi Pie,

About two years ago, I went with 4 other passengers from my ship (my husband is a WWII buff and went on the Normandy tour) to the villages of Honfleur, Deauville, and Treauville by taxi tour. The taxis were waiting in the port, and it was a WONDERFUL tour! It cost about $50 each U.S., and the taxi driver was with us all day (about 8 hours). We ate lunch outside in the harbor, so that was extra and we paid separately. I thouroughly enjoyed this option (we've been to Paris several times) and can't recommend it highly enough.

Hope you have a great time,
Donna

Potter April 12th, 2004 03:01 AM

I'd like to visit Mont Saint Michel from Le Havre very much.... It looks just fantastic on the photos. But it looks like a long way from Le Havre, and besides the RCI's excursion there doesn't visit Honfleur which is right on the route to Mont Saint Michel. Has anyone an experience taking a private excursion/taxi excursion/car rental to MSM and Honfleur from Le Havre on a cruise?