Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Beginner

Default What's the earliest to schedule a flight out of Rome?

We're scheduled for Carnival's Freedom in late July. What is the earliest you'd recommend for flying back to the states? I've flown out of FCO three times so I'm familiar with the airport. Carnival recommended 9:45am as the earliest but it seems to be really cutting it close.
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Many flights from Europe leave very early in the day, and the ship's are generally in port much earlier there than they are in the Caribbean.

We've left a ship in Europe to head home as early as 5 AM.

If Carnival is saying you can make a 9:45 flight it's pretty likely that you can.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Captain

We just did a 1045 out of "FCO" the day before Thanksgiving and we had plenty of time. We were on "Golden Princess" and disembarkation went smoothly even though we got into port a bit later than they planned. They only gave vouchers to folks with 1000 flights on tho and I would sweat a 0945 myself. Feel free to e-mail if you have any other concerns, Robbie
Old November 24th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Admiral

mkodend,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We're scheduled for Carnival's Freedom in late July. What is the earliest you'd recommend for flying back to the states? I've flown out of FCO three times so I'm familiar with the airport. Carnival recommended 9:45am as the earliest but it seems to be really cutting it close.
The cruise lines always allow plenty of cushion in their gudance for times of flight to accommodate any sort of foreseeable delay It's pretty common to be at the airport three or four hours before one's scheduled flight even if one books the earliest permitted flight time. That's enough cushion so you'll make your flight with no problem unless there's a major incident -- and I mean something VERY major, like a casualty that delays the ship's arrival by several hours or an earthquake that prevents the ship from entering port or that takes out the roads between the pier and the airport. Such incidents are not impossible, but they are very, very rare.

Of course, you can book a post-cruise hotel package if you want to be really safe....

Norm.