Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM
First Mate

Default London to Dover

Anyone doing London to Dover on your own? What transportation are you doing? I was doing Gatwick to Dover on the train, which looked really easy, but Continental changed our flight to Heathrow and it looks more complicated. Taxi from Heathrow to Victoria station, then train was my next option.

Thanks for any input,
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Default Re: London to Dover

Quote:
Originally Posted by katluc
but Continental changed our flight to Heathrow and it looks more complicated. Taxi from Heathrow to Victoria station, then train was my next option.
You have the right idea. The other, cost effective way, is the Underground (subway). There are express trains from Heathrow to London. I suggest you explore the taxi fare before deciding (have your nitro pills at hand).

Note:
1. We were lightly packed (1 carryon, 1 checked bag each--group of 11)
2. We used the Underground at "off hours", so I have no idea what it would be like at rush hour.

FYI, we took the train from Victoria to Dover in 2004....at the time it cost about $20. usd...will be more now. Taxi from the Dover station to the dock was about $5.00.
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)

Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Hi Kathy, yes agreed, take the underground (about 1h 10m at £18.50ish) or better still Heathrow Express (£14.50 see https://www.heathrowexpress.com) train to central London, then train from London Victoria to Dover Priory - a one way ticket is about £26.

If you take a look at www.thetrainline.com, you can put in the date & expected time for trains to Dover, and will be given the times & details of any changes of train that you would need to make (best to avoid these BritRail isn't the greatest when it comes to smooth interchanges).

Hope this helps,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old December 23rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wow, I just came here to ask this very question. We arent going until May of 2009 but I always do some research well before hand just so I know what the heck I am doing when I get there.

Which airport is closer, Gatwick or Heathrow?
Which is easier to get from airport to Dover Seaport?
What would total cost be ( approx ) to get to Dover?

Man I have questions!

Thanks.

Tim
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Captain

You could also book a private transfer it would cost more than the train etc but it beats lugging your luggage up & down the tube station.

Check the price of transfers from the cruise line ...a couple of years ago it cost up $99. USD from hotel in London
Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have heard of prices being at around $85 per person EACH WAY. I think I would rather tote my luggage around the tube than spend $340 for a bus ride.

Tim
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:36 AM
First Mate

Hi Tim,
From the research I have done, Gatwick is further out, but getting to Dover is a lot easier. We were orginally going into Gatwick, but Continental changed our flight to Heatrow. We are taking the train to Dover and staying at the Dover Restover. It is a B&B across from the train station. We can walk back over the next day and get a cab to the cruise terminal. Since we are going in 2008, I will post what we did and if I worked out OK for us.

Kathy
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Yeoman

If the train to Dover leaves from Victoria, the underground from Heathrow to Victoria will be the best way to go.

At Heathrow it´s very easy to get on the underground even with lots of luggage. The only problem is that you have to change line once and you don´t want to do that on a busy station if you have lots of luggage! I should change at Earl´s court, a not so busy station but there are some stairs (I guess they must have elevators too!)
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Beginner

Default Piccadilly Circus to Dover

Hello, we are heading to London for a few days before our cruise out of Dover. Staying at the Le Meridien on Piccadilly. Any suggestion for the best transfers from Piccadilly to Dover. Thanks
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Beginner

If I am reading things correctly it looks like a 4-5 hour trip from airport to port....sounds like a loooooooooooooooong trip after spending all that time on the plane. I,too, gasped at the prices for transportation.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Beginner

If I am reading things correctly it looks like a 4-5 hour trip from airport to port....sounds like a loooooooooooooooong trip after spending all that time on the plane. I,too, gasped at the prices for transportation.
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Familiar Face

According to my calculation via XE.com, private transportation would run around $78-80. The Carnival transfer is $85 and direct. Am I missing something here as far as cost containment?

Carnival Freedom/4-2007

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Beginner

Hello, what private company have you been looking into? I am pricing out cost for 3 people from central London. I have rec'd a total cost of 140GBP. I am also trying to price out the cost from London Victoria to Dover Priory. Has anyone figured out that cost? Thanks. Leslie
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Beginner

Hello, what private company have you been looking into? I am pricing out cost for 3 people from central London. I have rec'd a total cost of 140GBP. I am also trying to price out the cost from London Victoria to Dover Priory. Has anyone figured out that cost? Thanks. Leslie
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Beginner

Old June 18th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Yeoman

Hi Leslie,

I have found prices from London Victoria to Dover Priory on several websites (for example www.nationalrail.co.uk) and one price I found was 26GBP each.

Many of the trains to Dover leaves from Charing Cross and if you shall stay close to Piccadilly Circus, that may be better for you. (I assume that Le Meridien on Piccadilly is close to Piccadilly Circus) I think that the prices from Charing Cross are the same as from Victoria.
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Beginner

Hi,we used a company called Abbatrans
London to Dover,£140($260?)Private vehicle for up to 6 passengers.
info@a2bessex.co.uk / 00441702 304331