Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > European & Mediterranean Destinations
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Beginner

Default Livorno: Tuscany vs. Florence & Pisa vs. Cinque Terre

What advice can anyone offer about choosing which excursion while in Livorno? While Tuscany sounds nice, it doesn't sound very exiting, as I normally prefer places along the water, not inland. Is Florence really as wonderful as I've heard? There is another all-day option, Cinque Terre, which sounds good, but I hate to miss both Florence AND Tuscany to see it. We are cruising the RCI Brilliance in October 2008, for my 30th wedding anniversary. Traveling with other relatives too. My husband wants to see Pisa. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Livorno: Tuscany vs. Florence & Pisa vs. Cinque Ter

hookedoncruising,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What advice can anyone offer about choosing which excursion while in Livorno? While Tuscany sounds nice, it doesn't sound very exiting, as I normally prefer places along the water, not inland. Is Florence really as wonderful as I've heard? There is another all-day option, Cinque Terre, which sounds good, but I hate to miss both Florence AND Tuscany to see it. We are cruising the RCI Brilliance in October 2008, for my 30th wedding anniversary. Traveling with other relatives too. My husband wants to see Pisa. Thanks.
The only advice I can give is to avoid the tours that try to compress too much into a day because such excursions are much too rushed. In particular, the shore excursion that visits both Florence and Pisa is in this category. Instead, opt for an excursion that spends enough time wherever it goes so you can take it in fully and leave the rest for another time.

With regard to your husband's desire, the "half day" shore excursion that visits only Pisa should be a good one.

Norm.
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1

We used Rome In Limo in Livorno, Florence is very pretty, with so much history, out of Naples we did Pompeii, Poitano and Sorrento (all with Rome in Limo), and got to see it all.
Carlo from Rome in Limo has now opened his own company which is www.dirivearounditaly.com so either company would do a great job. Carlo drove us in Naples and twice in Rome and we loved the tours, he helped us design our own.
Our son and his wife went to Cinque Terre and their pictures were awesome, what a decision, it's hard to do it all, get your rest now, you will need it. Although private tours are so much nicer then going with 46 others from the ship, as it's just you and your driver making decisions, not having to do what is "scheduled" for you.
You can't go wrong doing any of these tours-we loved Italy and hope to go back someday. We celebrated our 31st anniversary at a little private winery with our 4 best friends (near Tivoli) that Carlo planned out for us, it will remain in our memories forever.
Have fun!

Monarch of the Seas
Carnival Elation
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=04&year=2009&day=26&hour=16:00[/img] Carnival Splendor
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Passenger

We spent a week in Cinque Terre a few years back. If you are big on hiking, it's amazing. Some of the hikes are more strenuous than others, and it has become commercialized unfortunately...lots of tours and the trails can be packed at times. If you are a museum buff, Florence is a must. We have not been to Pisa or Lucca but have heard that doing the two together is the way to go on a cruise excursion so that you are not too rushed. I hear Pisa/ Florence can be a bit hectic depending on how many hours you have in port. I hear Pisa is not quite as great as expected but worth seeing. Lucca sounds like it has some of the Tuscan scenery without being too far way from the port. I hear also that renting a bike in town and riding around is a wonderful way to see the city and country side. Not sure how active you are, but we plan to do this on our visit this summer. Have a wonderful trip!