Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Yeoman

Default Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old?

My family is having a reunion on the Explorer 11-2-02. My son and wife are debating whether to go and take baby who will be 7 months old in Nov. My daughter in law has many concerns, but would like to go on this cruise. So far have received 3 replys, 2 were negative and 1 positive. The one negative was from a man who dislikes children in general on cruises, so his reply doesn't count. I say go for it and have a good time!

THank You,
Carol
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old?

We took our son on the Disney Wonder when he was 10 months old. We had no problems. We had never left him with a sitter, so we even took him to the shows. He slept right through them. If they don't go, they'll be wishing they did when everyone else goes and has a blast. Plus by going with family, they'll have people to help them with the baby.
Old July 8th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Luisa

I'm the family cruise editor here and my eight year old daughter has been on 11 cruises while my 9 month old son has been on two already.
We took him on his first cruise at 7 months on the Disney Magic. The Disney ships are best for those traveling with infants in that they have a nursery which none of the other lines do. Also, kids in diapers are allowed in their splash pools while they are not allowed in the splash pools on most other ships. (We just went on the Explorer's sister ship, the Adventure of the Seas, and my 9 month old couldn't go in the splash pool or any pool for that matter.) While Royal Caribbean does have private baby sitting, it is for those over 1 year old. So there aren't many things offered for infants. However, we took the baby to a few beaches in the ports of call which he really enjoyed.
Basically, the parents of the baby have to realize that while they will probably have a good time, they need to change their expectations. Cruising and traveling with little ones is not the same as vacationing with adults. My husband told each other at the beginning of each cruise which few things we'd like to do during the cruise so that we could cover each other. One would watch the baby at certain times while the other got to enjoy the ship or go on a shore excursion. It worked out well.
Make sure they read two articles on this site that I wrote on "Taking the Baby" (things to consider before booking a cruise with an infant and also important things to pack) and "DIsney's Magical Nursery" (about what Disney ships offer to infants.)
Good luck with your decision.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Old July 9th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old?

Luisa: How are the pool rules enforced? Is a swim diaper enough? How about a swimsuit with a built in swim diaper (looks like no diaper)? Rubber pants over everything? Is someone checking?
Old July 14th, 2002, 08:39 PM
cHRISTI

Default Re: Re: Re: Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old?

Hi There,

GO BRING THE BABY & HAVE A BALL!!!!!

We have been cruising with our children since they were 5 mos and 5 years. My husband and I were leary at first but we are so glad that we did it!!! They will look back on photos and then you will really will be glad that you went!!!!!

People on the ship go out of their way to help with children. We never had a sitter with us nor did we hire one on board.

Happy sailing
Old July 15th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Luisa

Default Re: Re: Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old?

RE: Babies in pools on Royal Caribbean's Explorer, Adventure and Voyager of the Seas:
There isn't anyone checking the pools in the mornings generally when the spiral slide is closed at Adventure Beach. (This is the splash pool area which has three little pools and a spiral slide.) However, when the slide is open (usually afternoons), there is a staff member there so it may be harder to get away with disguising a diaper!
Smooth sailing!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old July 17th, 2002, 08:39 AM
JillD

Last summer, we took our 6 month old on a family reunion cruise to Hawaii. But, we did bring the family Nanny, who came to help with all of the kids (8 of them). My husband and I did go on two excursions in which we left the baby with the Nanny, but other than that, we tried to choose family friendly excursions. Our baby wasn't crawling yet, which made things pretty easy. He also loved the movement of the ship and slept very well ("like a baby"). Dinner time was a little hard. My parents chose the early seating, because we had all of the kids with us. Because of the time change from home to Hawaii, dinner time coincided with our babies bed-time. This made for some dinners that were a little less then relaxing.

All in all, in was a great vacation. It's a shame he won't remember any of it, but the rest of us (19 in all) had a great time!
Old July 30th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Has anyone cruised with a 7 month old?

We just returned from a RCCL Alaska cruise with our two five month old grandchildren. We were very leery at first (6 children 6 and under), but it turned out great. For the babies, bring along an umbrella stroller or something they will sleep in when out and about, and they are fine. We had asked for split dining times thinking that we would "platoon" dinner, having some eat early while others took the kids to the buffet, then that group eat at late seating while the early group watched kids. But when we reached the ship we found that everyone had ben assigned late seating and we could not get it changed. So we decided to just take everyone and see, and it actually worked out well. The babies generally just slept in their strollers the whole time. Everyone ooohed and aaahed over them and they seemed to thrive on the attention they received especially from parents who often are rushing around in "real" life and less able to focus directly on them as you can on a cruise. The ship's motion seemed to be a real soporific for the little ones. One of the moms commented that everyone slept through the night--a really unusual occurence.
Late show was like late dinner; generally, the kids slept right through...
We had requested cribs, and they were in place when we arrived.
And at a family gathering like this, there are always extra hands ready to cuddle and play.
Our only problem really was that one family ran low on formula and it was hard to find at port stops--especially the premixed kind, but finally we found a WalMart that saved the day!
But my advice is take your infant and enjoy!