Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2004, 11:10 AM
dayna

Default 8 year old bored in 6-8 group?

My SIL and my 8 y/o niece will be with us on our next cruise. My niece will be 9 in June, and we travel in April. My son is 6 and they will be together in camp. My SIL is worried that my niece will be bored in the 6-8 group. If she is bored wil Carnival allow her to move up since she is more than 2 months from her 9th birthday? I just want to prepare her.

Dayna
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Klarocco

Default Re: 8 year old bored in 6-8 group?

You will get differing answers.....My experience is that if the numbers are small they will let them move to a different group....This happened to 2 sisters traveling the Spirit.....The one sister was 4 months away from being 6....they let her go to the 6-8 group....

However I have heard stories that they go by the age at which they are upon sailing.....

I think it will come down to the numbers of children and the flexibility of the Camp Carnival Director....there is no clear cut policy......that is adhered to.
Old March 17th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Luisa

I'm the family cruise editor and agree with the above answer. Just prepare her that they may not change her, but you never know.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:11 PM
The Hill's

We just got back from the Carnival Legend on March 12th so here is some feedback from my kids 81/2 boy and 51/2 year old girl. Once the kids get to know some friends in camp they always ate dinner with the group rather than the parents which was nice for us as we enjoy a nice dinner.

The coketail party in the disco was one fo the highlights along with the closing beach party in the disco.

My 8 1/2 year old enjoyed camp carnival. They did a lot of variety of things. I have the Camp Camp Carnival schedules but here are some highlights. His list of favourite things were playstation, sand art, movies, slumber party, the hunt for friendship Freddy. They also had ballon volleyball!

He also really liked the 2 storey water slide on the Legend.

In terms of moving up, they don't usually do this but talk to the Camp Director and they may help.

One thing my kids really enjoyed was purchasing a horse (horse head on a wooden pole) at the horse race and decorating it and taking it with you everywhere you go for a week! Bring some decorations with you! (lei's, streamers???) You become the owner and race in the final race.

Be sure to take part in the family scavenger hunt. It was lots of fun and we won the famous ship on a stick!

If you have any other specific questions just email me.

kathyhill@rogers.com
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:16 PM
The Hill's

We just got back from the Carnival Legend on March 12th so here is some feedback from my kids 81/2 boy and 51/2 year old girl. Once the kids get to know some friends in camp they always ate dinner with the group rather than the parents which was nice for us as we enjoy a nice dinner.

The coketail party in the disco was one fo the highlights along with the closing beach party in the disco.

My 8 1/2 year old enjoyed camp carnival. They did a lot of variety of things. I have the Camp Camp Carnival schedules but here are some highlights. His list of favourite things were playstation, sand art, movies, slumber party, the hunt for friendship Freddy. They also had ballon volleyball!

He also really liked the 2 storey water slide on the Legend.

In terms of moving up, they don't usually do this but talk to the Camp Director and they may help.

One thing my kids really enjoyed was purchasing a horse (horse head on a wooden pole) at the horse race and decorating it and taking it with you everywhere you go for a week! Bring some decorations with you! (lei's, streamers???) You become the owner and race in the final race.

Be sure to take part in the family scavenger hunt. It was lots of fun and we won the famous ship on a stick!

If you have any other specific questions just email me.

kathyhill@rogers.com
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Donna In SC

My son will be 8-1/2 when we sail this May. I was looking at 2 different ships and we think we have decided on the Fantasy. I was also concerned he may be bored after reading the activities planned - he currently does more of the things listed for the next age group.

Also - he has an allergy to Peanut Butter... do you think this will pose a problem with the Camp Counselors?

Thanks, Donna (South Carolina)
Old April 16th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Catrin

Default Re: Re: 8 year old bored in 6-8 group?

My son (who was 8 1/2) loved Camp!!

he loved just being with kids his age.. loved the trivia contests, the shows, the playstation.. just being a kid.

My (then 4) yr old loved it too!

We cannot wait to back to the triumph next month!
Cathy
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Luisa

Default RE: Food allergy

My daughter used to have food allergies and the counselors on ships were great. Just tell them when you enrolll your child -- they'll put a "red flag" by his name so there aren't any problems. We never had any.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:05 PM
First Mate

Since the age groups are small, I don't think most kids get bored in the age group they are in, I think the parents worry about it too much. We just returned from a cruise on Mariner of the Seas, my son is 3 weeks away from his 6th birthday, he was in the 3-5 YO group and had a great time. There were lots of other 5 and nearly 6 YO kids, the counselors did a wonderful job having activities that all 3 ages would like, plus there was less competition for the computers because the youngest ones weren't that interested in them, a plus for my son.

Margie