CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Family Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/)
-   -   Cruise Insurance (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/family-cruising/277373-cruise-insurance.html)

ssatterly April 10th, 2004 02:55 PM

Cruise Insurance

Is insureance really worth the high costs?

Donna April 10th, 2004 05:08 PM

Re: Cruise Insurance

Hi SS,
In a word, YES. My husband did have a fall off a scooter in Grand Cayman on our last cruise and I'm in the process of sending in the claims....first it has to go through your regular insurance, then you can send into the travel insurance....still haven't gotten everything back from the regular insurance, so it will be interesting to see what they actually will pay for....

In some cases, you may need to be air-lifted and that can be very costly and our regular insurance does not cover things like that...You also get the added protection of lost luggage, missed flights, etc....its just smart to purchase it, I wouldn't travel without it.

ssatterly April 10th, 2004 05:41 PM

I have another qusetion about it... Ok What if I book a cruise for 4 people and one ends up not being able to go.. Will I get a refund for that peron? Susie

LisaK April 12th, 2004 09:53 AM

Yes, yes the insurance is worth it. Each person needs their own policy.

CF April 12th, 2004 01:20 PM

Absolutely take the insurance. I know it seems like alot of money, and chances are you won't make a claim, but it is great peace of mind. There was a girl, I believe about 23yo on another board that I read about that probably wished she had the insurance. She was diagnosed with cancer and had to cancel her cruise (and a group of 10 others) and the cruise line refused to refund because she didn't have insurance. She said she felt because she was young and healty when she booked it that she wouldn't need it. Unfortunatly, she was wrong. You never know. I also heard a story about a 15yo that need to be airlifted because of a ruptured appendix(sp). I believe it was about $15,000 for that. I hope she had insurance.

basketballmom April 12th, 2004 02:15 PM

Better to spend the extra money on the insurance than to be out the total cost of a cruise
! The average cost pp for insurance is $99.

cthrn27 April 12th, 2004 09:51 PM

are all policys the same? Is one from the cruise line better than one from an independant source?

thanks

Donna April 12th, 2004 10:04 PM

Re: Re: Cruise Insurance

Hi Cthm,
Yes, they are all simular, but have different coverages and limits, you have to read and compare. The main reason some and myself included to not get the cruiseline insurance, what if the cruiseline has financial problems and can't pay....best to go with an independent insurance company...Just find the right coverage for you, but do get it, its worth it.

Lisa April 12th, 2004 11:43 PM

Yes, ge t the insurance. Can you afford to lose all your money if you have to cancel for whatever reason? Can you afford the tens of thousands of dollars if a medical emergency happens and you have to be evacuated from the ship? Can you afford to pay for medical care in a foreign country if someone in your group trips and breaks a leg or something similar.....and you miss the ship? I can't which is why I buy travel insurance.

Check out the following link: http://www.insuremytrip.com

sea angel April 14th, 2004 07:16 AM

We always get the insurance. We use Travel Guard. Great company.
Happy sailing
Sea angel

mar915 April 15th, 2004 07:37 AM

If you make your airline seperate the most cruiseline ins. will not cover it just the cruise. So I always go with another company. I like Access America.

Mary

kernfam01 April 24th, 2004 10:21 PM

We are a family of 4, me, my husband and 2 kids (1 and 4 at the time we cruise). We got insurance thru insuremy trip.com. We got the travelex travel lite policy and it was $79 TOTAL for all 4 of us for a 7 day carib cruise. I think children are free. Seems to have very good coverage. They sent us VERY detailed policy and info in the mail right after I purchased. I highly reccomend this site. You can compare policies there. Look under package policies, and it will insure your airfare and cruice, so if you miss a flight or whatever, it is covered, along w/ lost luggage.