Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Lars

Default advice on port of LA

We (parents and kids 5 & 9) are cruising this month out of the Port of LA. We've been on other cruises from Miami and Tampa, but never out of LA. I am looking for advice on the port itself as well as the area, since we are arriving a day before the cruise and staying a day after. San Pedro looks convenient, but also looks like a port town that might not be so family friendly. Also, we are flying in and out of LAX, so I'm interested in advice on transportation options. I was considering getting a rental car for the time in LA to sight see, but it doesn't look like there are many pickup/dropoff locations near the port. I would really appreciate help from anyone who's familiar with this port. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Passenger

Default Re: advice on port of LA

if your leaving from Long Beach then I would recommend the west coast hotel. it is right beside the pier. great views of the bay. pool area for kids. we left the car for the week as a sail away package that included brunch. awesome to see the lights across the bay at night and the sunrising on the water. we are taking four kids this march and will def. stay there again. they will love the water taxi that picks you up right infront of the hotel. staff were very polite and helpful.
hope this helps.
Old December 15th, 2004, 03:20 PM
First Mate

Default Re: advice on port of LA

I would not recommend staying in San Pedro. Even though it sounds like you are leaving from that port instead of Long Beach, the only thing to do down there is stroll the restaurants and shops at Ports O Call. Staying near the Long Beach port is an option as it's not that far from San Pedro and is between LAX and San P, so not out of your way.

Long Beach itself is spotty, parts are nice and parts are aweful. The pier area has been revitalized and is quite lovely, beautiful on sunny days. Right there you will find the relatively new Long Beach Aquarium, the Queen Mary, and lots of shopping, movies and restaurants all newish and withing walking distance of some hotels. I think they have a shuttle for free around the area. That way you could avoid driving in LA, never a fun expereince, even for those of us who live there. Then take a taxi from there to San Pedro.

I recommend deciding what attraction you want to see in So. Calif., stay near there and then take a taxi or shuttle to the port.

Margie