Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Passenger

Default youth group on Princess

We are taking our first cruise on Star Princess in Mid Jan., Western Carr. My son is 11 1/2 going on 14. i have a question that may sound ridiculous, but. . . .He has hit puberty, He is small adult sized already, has faical hair, voice changed the whole nine yards. Obviously this was well ahead of shedule. He is used to hanging with much older kids, he plays on older sports teams, etc. The princess age group he falls into is 9-12, and from the activities I've seen listed (haven't found many lists granted) he will be bored with those things. Are they the least bit flexible if we try the 9-12 and find he isn't enjoying anything, will they move him up for some things?. He is free to hang with Mom and Dad, and usually has fun with us, so it will work out regardless, but I'd like him to get to experience some of the fun/freedom of being with and making new friends too.

He went to a residential camp this summer and had this exact same issue, with a 9-12 age group.

Thanks in advance for your help. . . .anyone else have kids going on this particular cruise? (jan 16 out of Ft. Lauderdale)?

Julie
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Big Craig

Default Re: youth group on Princess

They are NOT flexible at all, everywhere we turned to with special requests on Princess was denied, while on Carnival they have always bent over backwards for us, thats why we are doing the Triumph Dec 11 2004.
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Luisa

I agree -- don't count on them moving your child up to an older age group. You can ask -- you never know. But I would not go on the cruise w/the mindset that the youth counselors will accommodate you. Most lines are pretty strict about this issue.
Sorry!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:26 PM
debp

On the Golden, your child had to be on the teen list to get into the teen club and activities. They compliled the list prior to boarding. That was policy.
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the input. . .I did read on another board today that a different Princess ship, adjusted their group to include 10-13 based on the numbers they had aboard, so it might work out just right after all.

OH well. He will have fun no matter what, just a shame some kids get "hung in between" seems like every activity he does!. I'm sure he won't be the only one in that situation, so maybe those will end up meeting and doing their own thing.

Thanks again for the input.
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:23 AM
SraLiz

I am also concerned about this.
My daughter will be 12 on our cruise in July. Her birthday is October 1. We are traveling with her cousin who is 14 at cruise time.
On the Princess the age group cut off is 12 for the younger group. I want the grils to be together and I know my daughter will fit into the older group. (she is currently in the 8th grade)
Who makes the call on the age groups? How is the "list" generated?
Can I place her the first day in the group I want her in?

Thanks
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Admiral

the groups go by age, the ships counselors can check the ages. 12 ends the youth programs, it then goes to the teen programs and the teen center. The kids have to be registered to use the teen center and it is teens only.
Old November 15th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Luisa

Youth counselors have a roster of all the kids on board ship as well as their birth dates, which they get from the check in procedure. So you really can't "trick" them. You can try asking them to accommodate you and they may. But then again, they often do not, so don't go into a cruise assuming that you can place your child in the age group they prefer. Sorry!
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor