Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2005, 01:19 AM
DENISE JENSEN

Default CRUISE FOR 16YR OLD GIRLS AND MOM

I PROMISED MY DAUGHTER A CRUISE WHEN SHE TURNED 16 - THIS MAY - TOLD HER SHE COULD TAKE HER BEST FRIEND. NEED TO KNOW THE BEST ONE FOR TEENS. SHE WANTS TO GO TO THE BAHAMAS BUT I WAS TOLD THAT WASN'T THE GREATEST FOR TEENAGE GIRLS THAT BERMUDA WAS BETTER, I THOUGHT ABOUT DISNEY. ANY IDEAS?

THANKS DENISE
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: CRUISE FOR 16YR OLD GIRLS AND MOM

Hi Denise,
I would also think about Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Both lines are good for cruising with kids and families. While you are at it, be sure to check out Royal Caribbean's "Voyager" class, bet the girls would love that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 15th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Denise

We've taken our children to both the Bahamas and the Western Carribean on cruises. The hands down favorite itinerary was the Western Carribean. The kids loved all the ports. We went to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Belize. I second Donna's suggestion for either Carnival or RCCL. We've sailed both lines and had a good time on both. We preferred Carnival for the food. I suggested a Disney Cruise once and got a chorus of groans. In their words "Mon, that's lame". I would check with your daughter before booking on Disney to see if she wants to go. Hope this helps and happy cruising.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 16th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Denies

I would definitely not do Disney with a 16 year old. Carnival or RCL. You would both love the Voyager class ships out of Miami. I don't think I would do San Juan, we took our kids out of San Juan 2 years ago and they were not impressed.
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Admiral

I would look into either an Eastern or Western Caribbean cruise.
16yr olds might find Disney "totally lame"
I would look into either the Grand Class Ships of Princess or the Voyager Class ships of RCCL - lots of activites and things to do, very teen friendly.
Old January 21st, 2005, 06:06 PM
Cheri

Well I took my 16 yo dgt on a Disney cruise and she LOVED it. I had to beg her to spend time with me or even eat a meal with me!!! She has stayed in touch with other teens met on board. And she has also cruised on RCCL which she liked but as Disney was the first its special..you know how teen girls can be!!
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Scubarick Send a message via Yahoo to Scubarick

You should look into some of the newer Carnival Ships. They are excellent when it comes to having activites for teens. And When it comes to a destination choose the Carribbean either Southern or Eastern.

Rick
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:44 PM
Cameo

I really liked the Southern Caribbean cruise with my son on Royal Caribbean for spring break one year. The islands are beautiful.. Martinique, Antigua, etc. We snorkeled and sailed, did a little history tour on Martinique to Pierre which was buried by a volcano. Royal Caribbean seems to have a lot of young people on board.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

How about joining us on the Carnival Victory June 26? My 16 year old son will be thrilled to meet your daughter and her friend
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Another vote for RCCL Voyager Class. My 14 year old son loved the Voyager of the Seas.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old March 24th, 2005, 11:29 PM
lilliana

In my opinion,Bermuda is better than the Carribean for teenage girls if (big if) they're going to be allowed out at night by themselves. I went last year with a friend when we were both fifteen, and even when out at one in the morning by ourselves, we didn't really get bothered or get into trouble .One downside to a Bermuda cruise is that it's a little more geared toward more mature people, but there's stil many fun things there to do. Hope I helped a little, and have a great cruise no matter what destination you choose!
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Admiral

I can't imagine letting 16 year old girls out at night by themselves in another country - no matter WHAT country!!

Carnival or RCCL are your best bets unless your daughter and her friend are HUGE Disney fans. There is so much to do on the newer Carnival ships and the Voyager class RCCL ships, plus they are waaaaay cheaper than a Disney cruise.

Find a good local TA and get a couple of brochures.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

I'm 15 and I've been on 2 of RCI's Voyager Class Ships (the Adventure and Navigator). I had a great time on both cruises, but I liked the Adventure better for a few reasons.
1. I liked the Southern Caribbean on the Adventure better than the Eastern Caribbean on the Navigator.
2. I got to bring my best friend with me and we had our own room.
I would definitely recommend RCI's Voyager Class for teens. I've never sailed Disney but I'd love to try it sometime.
I also have been to the Bahamas twice on the Navigator and the Sovereign. Nassau/Paradise Island is very nice and I think your daughter would like it. If you end up going to the Bahamas, the Explorer, Navigator and Mariner all have Eastern Caribbean routes.
Enjoy! I'll be turning 16 in May too, so please tell your daughter I said Happy Birthday!

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to goaliegurl89

Please Please spare your 16 yr old from a horrible time by not going on Disney Im 16 and just recently got off my first disney line cruise . It was the worst there is nothing for teens to do. Please pick a royal caribbean ship such as one in the voyager class even if there arent alot of kids on the boat there still things to do on the ship like ice skating, rock climbing, golf and the biggest perk about royal caribbean ships for teens there is a disco every single night that gives teens a chance to socilize. the disney ship i went on only had a disco the last night and there were 7 kids there the entire time and i went during spring break. But there is one good thing about Disney they have teen exscursions but RC makes up for that with their activities and facilites. The best Voyager class ship in my book would have to Mariner of the seas ive been on it twice and its a teens dream when it comes to cruises. Carnival is ok too but it doesnt give ship space for teens for example i dare you to locate the teen area in under 10 seconds on a carnival ship map and then do the same with a royal caribbean ship map. It really shows how a cruise line values its younger cruisers when you see how much space they devote to them.

• Wonder April '05
  • Adventure Thanksgiving '05
  • Freedom of the Seas Inaugural '06
*Carnival Liberty Xmas*