Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:43 PM
KHJL

Default Baby Formula...powder or ready to feed?

What did you do? How did it work out...Did you use the tap water to mix with the powder? We are going for 7 days....that would be a lot of ready to feed to pack if we went that route.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

K
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM
sarvogs

Default Re: Baby Formula...powder or ready to feed?

I hear ya! We just didn't know what to do when we packed for our 8mth old daughter. We also took the 7-day cruise and we ended up taking 1 huge can of powder formula along and tons of bottled water. My whole family went with also, so they packed water for us too! We didn't have to use the tap water on the ship, but I've heard that it's good water anyways. They also have bottled water available in your stateroom to buy - a huge bottle was like $4 - which wasn't bad at all. But, make sure to bring more than enough formula for the 7 days! We thought there would be places on the ship to buy diapers, formula, baby food - nope! We didn't see any of those supplies....but, maybe I'm wrong and just didn't look hard enough cuz we had enough to get us through the week. We also brought a collapsable cooler so we could fill it with ice every day and put left over baby food or half full bottles in there that we could use throughout the day so we wouldn't have to waste if she just didn't have a huge appetite that day to finish her food.

Do you have any other questions for me? We just got back from our cruise a couple of weeks ago - went on W. Carribbean - Cozumel, Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios. Some excursions were tough to bring her with, but we managed.

I'm here to help! I had so many questions before we leave also!
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Yeoman

Id take a thing of the powder and not worry about tap water. If you are, pick up a small Brita pitcher or sports bottle and a few filters to take along.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old January 27th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Jayne Gorby

I have done a lot of traveling when my kids were young..and I used both..the powder and ready to feed...I only used the powder when I could use bottled water...It would be a hard trip if you had a baby with upset stomach because of using tap water...and proably not worth it either ...

I have also learnt to take with me what I will need ...instead of thinking I'll get it on the way or when we get there...doesn't always work out..
have a great trip
Jayne
Old January 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Luisa

Make sure you read the article I wrote on "Bringing the Baby" which is on the main page of the CruiseMates.com family cruise site. It gives you lots of helpful hints I discovered after cruising w/my infant. We always brought powder -- too bulky to bring ready to feed plus you'll need to refrigerate the leftovers of the ready to feed. I only suggest using bottled water on the ship. You can buy big bottles from the ship and in most ports, I found Evian or other bottled water to buy a bunch and leave in our cabin. I wouldn't risk using the ship's tap water on a sensitive baby's tummy.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Emily E.

Default Re: Re: Baby Formula...powder or ready to feed?

Did you have some sort of baby monitor that allowed you to leave the child in the room while you were out of the room? Have you heard of anything that works?
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Yeoman

It is not advisable to leave a baby in the cabin while you are out!!!!!!!!!!
There are serveral staff members who have access to your cabin while you are out, not just your room steward! If there is a problem , and your hear it on the monitor( baby crying, or someone entering the cabin) the ship is so large that it could take at least 5 or minutes to get back to the cabin even at a full run!

If you love your child don't do it. Get a balcony cabin( I know they are more exspensive, but we are talking about your childs saftey here) and sit out on the balcony while baby naps.
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Yeoman

As for formula I took powdered, used BOTTLED water( tap water is safe, but it is treated water, so may be hard on babys tummy) and took a few ready to feeds with us for use in airports, and on port calls, too hard to make stuff on the go.

PS how old is baby?
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Luisa, Family Cruise Edit

Yes, I agree -- do not leave the baby alone. Try to splurge on a balcony so that you can be outside on your private verandah while your baby naps right inside.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor