Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Beginner

Default Princess Cruise with Infant

Has anyone cruised with Princess? Looking to book a cruise and taking 10mon old (will be at that time). Have cruised before but without child and only on Carnival. Looking at Princess to try something different. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Went on Alaska cruise with Princess in Sept 05 with infant 18 months. I still tell you the Good and the Bad. First the Good........
The airline was free because he was under 2.
We brought an umbrella stroller that reclines and it was wonderful. At night we would get him all ready for bed and put him in the reclined stroller and take him everywhere we went. We even went in the hottub at 1am and just had him right beside us.
He was a joy and I really would have missed him had we left him at home.

Now for the BAD.......
I REALLY didn't like that we had to pay 3rd person to Princess for him. A reduced rate I could understand but full price of a 3rd person....... ridiculous. That means I paid the same price for him as someone bringing an 18 year old with them.
Kids under 3 are allowed to go to the kids room but you must stay with them the entire time.
Because of naps, diaper changes etc. I felt like I spent a lot of time in the room so I recommend an outside stateroom and at least that way you get some type of view.
Inside staterooms are also way too small for the cribs they provide you. The transporation provided from the airport to the ship does not include a car seat. Huge safety issue !

I hope that helps.
LU
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Yeoman

If you're traveling with an infant, I recommend Royal Caribbean or Disney instead. Royal Caribbean offers private in-cabin babysitting (for a fee) while Princess does not. Disney Cruise Line on the other hand, has a very well equipped nursery for infants/toddlers that is staffed with very competent youth counselors. I went on both lines when my son was about 7 and 10 months and they were very good experiences/fun cruises. Definitely get a verandah cabin so you can hang out on it while your child naps inside.
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor