Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Beginner

Default Crusing with a 9 month old

I'm a first time cruiser taking my 9 month old on an RCI Alaskan cruise this summer. Any tips / suggestions / etc for cruising, ports, what to take (and not to take!) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Make sure you bring plenty of diapers, baby food, bottles, clothing, over the counter medicines, etc. that you may need. While you can get some of this on board or in port, it can be very expensive. Research the excursions you're planning to take. Many have age requirements. I would bring a small fold up umbrella type stroller. Pick up some new toys at the dollar store. When the baby gets fussy you'll have a new distraction. I would also make sure to bring suntan lotion and insect repellent designed for small children. Luisa wrote a great article about bringing the baby. If you do a search for it on this site you should find it. It has a lot of great information.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Beginner

I am interested to see what responses you get gwmom. We are also taking an Alaskan cruise on HAL with our son who will be 7.5 months at the time of the trip. Luisa's article is very informative.

One thing I can't figure out is how soundproof the cabins are. Is it like being in a hotel room? This is our first time and our baby is not a colicky baby but he does fuss from time to time.
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

kjpidgeon:

Cruise ship cabins are like being in a hotel. While you won't hear your neighbors normal conversation or tv, anything that's loud you will hear. You will hear their toilet flush, their door slam, loud conversation or television. If your baby is crying during the night your neighbors will hear it.

Darcy
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Yeoman

Glad to hear my Bringing the Baby article is helpful. If you're sailing RCI, they do have private babysitting which I've used and is very good. Check out the details/make a reservation at guest releations soon after you embark. Definitely bring an umbrella stroller (but not a big one -- there's no where to store them other than your cabin).
Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor