Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Passenger

Default Sling vs. Stroller

We will be crusing with our daughter then 5 months old. Am I better to just take a carrier instead of a stroller, I remember the stroller being diffiuclt in some ports when we took my son who was then two. Just wondering what the more experienced moms would do. Thanks

Kim
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Passenger

I read somewhere that cruise lines do not take kids under a certain age... 6 months I believe... may want to check in to that...
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yeoman

Yes, pls. make sure your child is the minimum age for that cruise line to cruise. ALso read the story I wrote on this site, "Bringing the baby." You can find it on the main family cruise page. I suggest a stroller but not a huge one -- ships are big these days and you'll get tired of a baby carrier. But you won't have tons of room in y ou r cabin to store a huge stroller.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Admiral

actually you really need both. An umbrella stroller for on board the ship, and a baby carrier/backpack/sling for when in ports. The strollers don't do well in the sand,they can be a bit of a pain getting on and off the ship - especially if you are tendering and many of the islands have very narrow sidwalks(if any) and very busy,bumpy roads
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Passenger

Our daughter will be 3 when we go on our cruise in January. Is there any point in bringing an umbrella stroller for her? Personally I hate those things, they are too short for an adult male to comfortably push, but I am thinking on shore excursions she will get pretty dang heavy to carry...

On the ship I think she will be fine to walk around on her own...
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Yeoman

It depends on the type of excrusions you plan on doing. If you'll be walking around ports a lot, you may want an umbrella stroller. If you'll be mostly at the beach, don't bother.

Thanks,
Luisa
Old June 9th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

I am not sure if this falls under advertising or if these strollers are available in the US, but before our next trip I am going to get one of these,a Quinny Zapp. http://www.quinny.com/zapp/#

They are so compant they fold down to fit in an overhead locker on an aircraft so will take up minimal room in a cabin, they also are small enough to fit in a european vehicles footwell.

They aren't cheap, but the labour saving they offer has got to be worth it and when you are done you could always put it on ebay.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Passenger

You might want to think about a backpack instead of the sling or stroller, we used this for our then-20 month old (my husband wore it - they are pretty high tech now) and it worked great, our daughter loved being up high able to see everything and when she got tired she just fell asleep right in it!
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Passenger

When do you sail?? I leave for our first cruise the last week of July with 5 kids under 10! So I am debating big time on what to take and not take. My sling is a given for my 8mo old we don't leave home without it anywhere. But I also have one that just turned 3 and with trying to keep everybody safe and close by I was thinking of taking the umbrella stroller so I can wear one with the other strapped in and hopefully my older ones will be able to hold on to the stroller. Good point about the sand though... any chance its like airlines and kids board first??? I'll report back on how things worked for us!
Old June 24th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Passenger

We are sailing the first week of september. I will be very interested in hearing how things work out for you. I liked the back pack idea, but I think at 5 months she will still be too little for it. I use the ultimate baby wrap so I can wrap her on my back if she seems interested.
If you can go to a store and buy your diapers wipes etc once you are in florida. that will make a big difference. If you want to post your packing list or pm me I will let you know what we usually do. This will be the second cruise with our son, but our first with two kids. I think it will just be a little more stuff. and way more fun!
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Passenger

Luckily we don't have to fly so I will just pack what we need ..... which is going to be ALOT!!! Luckily it is child #5 so I know the must haves for a baby for aweek where as when traveling with #1 I thought you'd need the entire nusery!! My main concern is being in the heat myself and keeping milk supply up so I will pack some formula in case of emergency!
Can you just "check through" a box with diapers, formula, wipes ect with your name on it or does it have to be "luggage" checked through???
I will definately post when I get back with all my should haves and shouldn't haves!!
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Yeoman

We just packed all baby supplies in a very big box, taped it really well and put our name/address on it and checked it like luggage. Then we threw away the box on the ship once we unloaded it all since it would be all used up by trip's end.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Admiral

momx5 - if the supply box is small enough to fit thru the security scanner at the ship(same size as the ones in the airport) then you can carry-on your supplies, otherwise take Luisa's advise, put it all in a big box, secure it really well, and put your cruise tags on it so it will be delivered to your stateroom. Make sure that you have enough to last the whole week. You don't want to be roaming the islands looking for a store that carries diapers and baby supplies.
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks I do think I will do the box thing!! That will make it easier to pack anyway and I'll put nursery H2O and such in it!! So how many carry ons are you allowed (to board the ship) and what is the size limit? I was hoping my older kids could carry one on for themselves with their own cabin goodies, swimsuit, and necessities and then I would have one for hubby and I plus a diaper bag but you know how kids holding things are I was kind of thinking one per person??????