Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Beginner

Default Rates for Children under 2

I've been searching around all kinds of websites and this one seems the best! Thanks for all the great info.

Something I read on the website is that Carnival offers free sailing for children under 2. Does anyone know if this is specific to certain times or certain ships? We are booked on a cruise next month on Carnival Triumph to the Western Carribean. Both Carnival (when we called independtly) said there are no discounted rates for children (meaning, everyone has to pay same price). Our travel agent also said that there are no discounts for smaller children. My 21 month old (next month) will be coming with us and was charged as the 4th person in the room, so I knew it wasn't fair and discouraging me from going.. because it is very expensive.. especially since she will not be able to participate in the children's activities and swimming and will hardly be of cost for much of anything on the ship.

Does anyone have experience with this? I think I am being ripped off!! But my brother is getting married on the ship and everyone is cruising afterwards, we can't miss it! So I don't know what to think and I don't want this to ruin our trip. By the way, this is our first time cruising, ever.

Help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I have never seen children under 2 sail for free on Carnival. They have always payed the third/fourth passenger rates in the cabin.

The only cruise lines that I know of that charge only port charges for children under 2 are NCL and Disney.
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Beginner

That's what I've been told, however when I was searching this website under "bringing baby" it stated that Carnival is free under 2, which made me feel really cheated. Thanks for the reply, I feel a bit better..
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've never seen anything like that on any cruiseline, may-be it was some special??

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

Cunard do not charge for under twos and they do provide facilities. We are cruising with them next year when DS will be 23months.

We looked at doing a Royal Carribean this year and they wanted to charge £800 about US$1400 for our little man. He would have been 8months at the time and they provide NOTHING and use of the pools is prohibited at that age. What an absolute disgrace!

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Passenger

On Carnival, you pay 3/4 passenger rates for kids no matter of age. What Carnival does state, is gratuities are not required for kids under 2 years. Costa offers kids up to 17 years cruise for free on select sailings, and that is a real bargain for families.
Old July 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to emtntn

I sailed with my son on Carnival when he was only 7 months old. We were charged full price for him. I didn't think it was fair either. At dinner every night we ordered him a full dinner and just let him eat what he could because as we figured it we were paying for it.
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Beginner

We reserved a place for my 18 month old granddaughter on Princess, and they charged full fare for both the airfare and the cruise, as a fourth passenger. Her fare was the same as any other 4th passenger. We also were very surprised. I guess they need a seat on the plane, that's understandable.
Old July 31st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

An 18month old does not need a seat on an aircraft, if you do choose to have one for them then you should expect to pay between 20-50% of the adult fare.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Passenger

Holland America is another cruise line that charges special rate for infants, lower than for 3/4 passenger.